Twist/Lock confusion

natura87

Why do people think my twists are dreadlocks? I have nothing aginst dreads but right now they arent for me. Whenever I wear my twists I get so many people saying "Oh you've got dreads now? Are you a Rasta?

This is how the conversation usually goes..

Them- Oh you want dreads..?
Me- No, these are 2 strand twists.
Them- Nope, those are dreads! I know a dread when I see em!
Me (Thinking to my self "You wouldnt know neck length if your life depended on it:antlers:) Um okay?
Them- I dont see why you want dreads, you will have to cut your hair off and start all over again.
Me- No, actually you can take dreads down. I have seen it done.
Them- Well those werent real dreads then. I know hair!
Me- :ohwell: Oh well then....

Why cant people tell the difference? Its not rocket science!

LOL well obviously they already proved they don't know anything and more importantly aren't willing to learn something new
I wouldn't waste my time trying to reason with them

The thing is with my twists you can visibly see that there are 2 parts to it- and as often as I take them out and put them in you would think that one would realize that they arent locked.Maybe I am expecting too much from some people...

Hey, I used to get that all the time when I wore two strand twists in my hair. It's not a bad thing. Maybe your hair texture will be the perfect texture for locs one day. That's what happened to me. :)

I have been asked if I had dreads as well when wearing twists and also coils.

Most people are too ignorant of locing to know the difference between twists and coils and locs. Considering that locs often start out as twists and coils I guess it's not a far off comparison, so it doesn't bother me much.

However, I have never had anyone argue me down like you seem to have ;)

Back