'Twist' hairstyle tangles with grooming policy

happylocks

\'Twist\' hairstyle tangles with grooming policy

I just want to know if anyone has to deal with this, or is there job this way, and what do u think about it, do u feel that it is ok to have policys that tell ppl how to wear thier hair Read on :

Court employee sent home and told to redo hair; boss says, 'We have a certain image to project ....'

By Paula Reed Ward
Savannah Morning News

A Chatham County court employee has been ordered off the job because of her hairstyle.

Inger Bostick, a 13-year employee in the Clerk of Superior Court's office received notice Monday that she was in violation of a personal-grooming policy implemented that day.

Bostick was handed a memo and sent on her way.

"The Employee Personal Grooming Committee has found that you have violated the Personal Grooming Policy in regards to the wearing of twists," the memo reads. "You are being sent home to make the necessary changes in your hairstyle in order to meet the established grooming policy."

The deputy court clerk said she's been wearing the same hairstyle for six months. It's the same one that got her suspended two months ago before there was even a grooming policy.

"All of a sudden, it was no longer professional," Bostick said.

In May, Bostick said she was sent home for a week and told to return once she changed her hairstyle. She didn't change it but was allowed back to work.

Meanwhile, a committee in the clerk's office was writing the new grooming policy.

Clerk of Superior Court Susan Prouse said Bostick has not been suspended. Her time away this week is coming out of vacation time; thus she is being paid.

But Bostick said it doesn't feel like a vacation, and she wants to return to work. She said she will not change her hair, which she has twisted every week to week-and-a-half.

"I like it this way," Bostick said. "I've always worn a natural hairstyle. I'm not into the chemicals."

The style -- which shampoos out -- takes from 90 minutes to three hours to complete.

In hopes of winning her fight over her hairstyle, Bostick has turned to the "We the People Coalition," which held a news conference on her behalf outside the courthouse Thursday.

"This is America," said attorney Joyce Griggs. "We have freedom of expression."

The new policy is based on one at the Chatham County Police Department, Prouse said.

"We've always had a dress code," she said.

But besides prohibiting twists and dreadlocks, the grooming policy requires female employees to wear pantyhose, and male employees to have their facial hair and sideburns neatly trimmed.

"Two men in the office had to have their mustaches and hair trimmed, and 10 to 15 women have been forced to start wearing pantyhose," Prouse said.

"Since we are a division of the courts, ... we have a certain image to project, and it needs to be professional," Prouse said. "This was a grooming policy that affected everyone in the office."

Some critics said the new requirements are especially restrictive concerning black hairstyles, but Prouse said it is intended to apply to all the office's 36 employees.

"They had not gotten any complaints from the judges or attorneys that I deal with," Bostick said.

County Commissioner Harris Odell, an attorney, said he didn't see anything unprofessional about Bostick's hair.

"I saw her hair and thought it looked very attractive."

Odell said he understands the need for professional standards in a court setting, but has problems with regulating hairstyles.

"If a person in my office wanted to wear the hairstyle she was wearing, it would be perfectly acceptable to me," Odell said. "I don't think my white or black clients would be offended."

The county human resources department, which approved the policy, is aware of Bostick's complaint.

Bostick said nothing about her hair has affected her ability to work.

"This has nothing to do about performance," she said. "It's all about appearance."

Courts reporter Paula Reed Ward can be reached at 652-0360 or at [email protected].

• Join the DISCUSSION about courthouse grooming policy
Read messages in our forums section about this subject. Responding to a comment requires a one-time registration to our boards.

THE POLICY

The Clerk of Superior Court in Chatham County, on Monday, implemented a new "employee personal grooming policy." Included in the policy are various definitions, including ones for hair styles and facial hair.

In part, the policy for female employees reads: "Hair must be worn within reason and consistent with professional attire.

"Exceptionally long hair must be put up or pinned up to accomplish this regulation.

"Hats and scarves are not allowed.

"Dread locks are not allowed.

"Twists are not allowed.

"Hair must not hang down over the eyebrows.

"Dyed hair must present a natural appearance.

"Unusual or unnatural hair color will not be permitted.

"Gaudy, bizarre, eccentric hair, mustache or beard styles will not be allowed."

The policy also prohibits facial piercings, facial tattoos, Capri pants and exceedingly long fingernails that "restrict or hamper ability to perform your job."

In addition, pantyhose must be worn at all times.

For men, "the length and/or bulk of the hair will not be excessive or present a ragged, unkempt or extreme appearance.

"Hair, when combed, will not fall over the ears or eyebrows or touch the collar except for closely cut hair at the back of the neck.

"Long hair must be pinned up or secured at all times with proper hair bands/ties.

"Dreadlocks are not allowed.

"Twists are not allowed.

"Head designs/carvings are not allowed if visible.

"Sideburns will be neatly trimmed at all times.

"The base will be a clean-shave horizontal line.

"Sideburns will not extend below the lowest part of the opening of the ear.

"Mustaches must be neatly trimmed and tidy.

"No portion of a mustache will extend beyond the corners of the mouth, nor will it fall below a line parallel with the bottom of the upper lip."

full_hair.jpg

Re: \'Twist\' hairstyle tangles with grooming policy

I think that her hairstyle is very neat and professional looking. I don't see the problem with it. Some higher up just thought that it was too "ethnic" or some lame excuse like that. It is kind of crazy that they are wasting our tax dollars worrying about hairstyles instead of job performance.

Re: \'Twist\' hairstyle tangles with grooming policy

I think her style is cute and simple and she look very professional

Back