TV Personality Transitioning from Long Relaxed Hair to Natural...PLEASE HELP ME

@countrychickd, thanks for the kind advice.

@Mystic: I started trying lace fronts this summer. It has been amazing and addicting...lol. I don't glue or tape them though. I use the combs instead. It is nice to try lighter hair colors since I have never dyed my real hair. I have found myself feeling creative and made my own kinky afro wig yesterday so I could see how I would feel wearing big kinky hair. I'm not too sure about this though. I will do a YT video about that within the next week though.

@dontspeakdefeat: Thanks soooo much. I saw your straightening video on YT yesterday, and it was amazing! I would love to try that method next time. What type of flat iron and blow dryer do you recommend? Mine are getting old, and it is probably time for an upgrade.

@Actionactress: Thanks for the warm welcome :)

@Myngeleyes: After seeing your post, I did a search for more info. I'm definitely interested in learning more about this method. I will be stalking the board for other opinions on it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did a long term transition from 12/2007 - 12/2009. I made the decision to stop relaxing a few months after my last relaxer. It was not a conscious decision on 12/2007. I had been weaving for a couple of years prior to that time. My hair reached BSL during the transition and I slowly trimmed off the relaxer (two mini chops). I wanted to keep my hair at at least shoulder length so that I could wear my bun.

I documented my transition in my fotki (link below). I straightened, did braid outs, wore wigs, cornrows, Brazilian Keratin treatments and also crochet braids. The last of my relaxer was gone as of 12/2009.

I echo what Mook posted, being natural does not limit you to just an afro. There are tons of styles that you can create. I have to say, I do really enjoy wearing my curly fro after a wash & go!

I recently bc'ed to a twa from mbl (mid back length) and it was traumatic. My hair was very healthy (thanks to this site) and everyone thought I was on crack for bc'ing.

Two months in and I have (finally) embraced my big 'ol head, round face and short hair. I still have "moments" but for the most part, I'm good.

What prompted me to bc was frustration with the two textures as I transitioned.
In all honesty, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't go this short. I should've worn braids until it was longer but, ah well.

I am sure that you will successfuly navigate your natural journey. There are some gaw'jus natchal headz here with a wealth of knowledge to share...

HHG and welcome to the boards!

Back