Tutorial: Faux Bangs Spin Off for Naturals/Twistouts

virtuenow

Steps to making Faux Bangs on Twistout Hair:

1. Twist your hair however you please, wet or dry (I prefer blow dried w/hair butter).

2. After they dry or after a few days, take your twists down w/a little hair butter on your hands.

3. Separate them and make it full!

4. Put a thin stretch headband around head, pull it back in front for desired length. I like the Goody brand black headbands

5. Pull hair forward over the headband to make bangs. Make as long and as full as you want them --> see pictures

6. Inspiration for this doo, Halyey Marie Norman from Deal or No Deal and Chaka Khan (click to enlarge; I couldn't get them any bigger):

hayley-marie-norman.jpg

hayley_marie_norman deal.jpg

haley_marie_norman3.jpg

chaka9.jpg

chaka6.jpg

Illustration Pictures of step 4 and 5 in order below:

Step 4
- smooth hair down and pull head band back over front of hair

Step 5:
- the completed results. Because I have long bangs, this gave me a nice style change up for twistouts! I got complemented and not to mention wig checked alot with this hairstyle b/c it was so full w/ believable bangs.

Sorry, i just realize all my pictures are sideways! I may try to come back and edit them. Click pictures to enlarge

Attachments

• Late 08- Mid 09 340.jpg
    Late 08- Mid 09 340.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Late 08- Mid 09 335.jpg
    Late 08- Mid 09 335.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Late 08- Mid 09 313.jpg
    Late 08- Mid 09 313.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Late 08- Mid 09 315.jpg
    Late 08- Mid 09 315.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Late 08- Mid 09 331.jpg
    Late 08- Mid 09 331.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
This is a great idea! I don't like my forehead, and I'm always trying to find a creative way hide it with natural hairstyles.

I think I understand... Your hair looks great and thank you for the pictures.

Thanks, the first two pictures of my hair illustrate how I place the hair band. I just push the band back a bit further than that. Then I flip my hair over the band. The process is pretty simple, I hope this makes sense!

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm still not completely getting it.

Would a good gust of wind just blow the "bang" hair back?

Anybody find a youtube tutorial? I couldn't.

The style looks beautiful on you. I'd love to try it, but I'm not quite getting it either :nono:

The style looks beautiful on you. I'd love to try it, but I'm not quite getting it either :nono:

What specifically don't you get? I could try to give a more detailed explanation. You really just throw a headband on and toss your hair over it. I'm not trying to complicate a simple style.

If its a windy day then maybe you don't want to wear this style. However, even if the wind does blow your hair, who cares- its your real hair and it just falls right back into place. If its blown back it looks good too. The first 2 pics I just wore my hair back. You get to shift to different versions of a twistout style that both work!:grin:

OKay, I got it.

So, it's just folding your hair over a headband. I was thinking something would be holding the bangs in place.

You and your hair are gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorial! I'm subscribing so I can remember the instructions.

Thanks for the tutorial, you and your hair are beautiful!!! Quick question though, what's your blowdrying technique and what moisturizer do you use before you blowdry? My hair always ends up feeling so dry when I attempt to blow dry.

Do u really need a headband for this style? Can u flip the twists forward without the band or is the band holding the other hair in place?

What specifically don't you get? I could try to give a more detailed explanation. You really just throw a headband on and toss your hair over it. I'm not trying to complicate a simple style.

:lachen::lachen: lol, That did the trick!! I get it!!! Love you hair btw.

lol, That did the trick!! I get it!!! Love you hair btw.
:lachen::lachen: I had to laugh too... I think the instructions were too simple I guess some times we have to believe what we read and just do it.

I'm going to try it tomorrow with my daughter and take pictures.

Thanks for the tutorial, you and your hair are beautiful!!! Quick question though, what's your blowdrying technique and what moisturizer do you use before you blowdry? My hair always ends up feeling so dry when I attempt to blow dry.

Thanks! I make a homemade whipped hair butter. If you do a youtube search, rusticbeauty and some others had good recipes. I did a combination of those recipes using: unrefined shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil, pure mango butter, coconut butter, glycerin, jojoba oil, olive oil, grapefruit oil, and peppermint oil --plus some mango oil fragrance.

Anyway, I wash my hair in medium sized twists. Once the wash/cond process is complete, I apply the hair butter to each individual section as I am taking it down. I apply some heat protectant then blow dry that section. Then move on to the next section.

Do u really need a headband for this style? Can u flip the twists forward without the band or is the band holding the other hair in place?

Yes, sure, you could do that if your bangs are short enough. I should be clear, this style is for those of us who have grown out our bangs!

As an alternative to the band, you could use hair pins or bobby pins instead. But if you have long bangs in front, like me, you can't just flip your hair forward. Those bangs would end up covering your whole face. The band acts as an anchor to hold the hair back and allow for a shorter looking bang once you pull the hair forward. It also gives you control over the length of the bang.

wow, this is great!! bumping for anyone who may have missed this
thanks for the tutorial, virtuenow, your hair is lovely

ok, i didn't quite get it at first but now i do. you're sort of folding the hair over. this is a really good idea, will try it with my next twist out.

Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing. I was going to try cutting long bangs next wash day on flat ironed hair, but I have no idea how it will look once I go back to my natural texture. Will be trying this instead. Best of both worlds.

Back