Trying to stretch relaxer and tempted to just relax my hair. Help!

Mommynikki772

So this is my first time stretching my relaxer without a sew in or braids and my hair is sooo thick its almost unmanageable. I am just tempted to just give in and relax this nest on my head. I have been doing the twist outs and braid outs even wigs but it is soo hot and humid that it just puffs up like crazy. Any tips for a first time stretcher??? Thanks Ladies!!!

I recommend a henna treatment. It really helps loosen the new growth. I like using Heenara conditioning henna powder (enriched with herbs that are very moisturizing) mixed with hot coconut milk. I make a paste of it, put it on dry hair, leave it on for two hours then shampoo and condition as usual, and my hair is butter soft and my new growth is very manageable. I've also heard of the coconut milk & lime natural relaxer which is supposed to make NG and natural hair more manageable, but I haven't tried personally.

P.S. If you've just done a protein treatment and you're going to use henna, wait at least a week. Similarly, after a henna treatment wait a week before you do another protein treatment ;).

Last edited:
Make sure you are upping your DC's. Also co-washes will make your NG more manageable. Be sure to moisturize your NG very, very well. Try Stasoftfro...I have hard to manage new growth as well....but it makes my NG melt like butter. Good luck, be careful with your hair and challenge yourself with your first stretch! You can do it :)

Thanks ladies for the advice. I am in my 13th week trying for a 16 week stretch. I might feel better after a good DC and letting a good roller set. My hubby thought it was funny to call my Maxwell before his haircut.

Make sure you are upping your DC's. Also co-washes will make your NG more manageable. Be sure to moisturize your NG very, very well. Try Stasoftfro...I have hard to manage new growth as well....but it makes my NG melt like butter. Good luck, be careful with your hair and challenge yourself with your first stretch! You can do it :)

I agree. Deep conditioning works wonders, as well, especially with detangling. Areally good detangling conditioner that I use a lot when I've got a lot of NG is Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner. It gives loads of slip and hydrates my hair, making my NG soft and manageable. I also like the Giovanni 50/50 conditioner.

So this is my first time stretching my relaxer without a sew in or braids and my hair is sooo thick its almost unmanageable. I am just tempted to just give in and relax this nest on my head. I have been doing the twist outs and braid outs even wigs but it is soo hot and humid that it just puffs up like crazy. Any tips for a first time stretcher??? Thanks Ladies!!!

You might want to try Stabilizer Plus.

Back