Trying to get my hair back healthy!

missalex

It's the same old story. I had long, thick hair as a child and when I went to college, it started to break off because of stress and I think because of the fact I was just doing too much to my hair. I became a natural product fanatic -- moroccan oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, Boundless tresses - you name it, I tried it. I have been lurking here for a couple years (I know, I never post) and I'm pretty sure my texture is a 4b because it's so coarse.

I'm graduating from college this spring and splitting ends is not the look I'm going for. I'm not looking for major growth anytime soon but my hair has always been a little past my shoulder and ever since I cut it last summer it has sat at ear length :( Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to get it to grow? I don't use heat that often and I DC reguarly, get a relaxer very 8-12 weeks, take my vitamins. I just am getting very discouraged :(

What products are you using right now?
How often are you DC'ing?

Stress is a bad thing for your hair as you know. What are you doing to reduce the stress?

Right now I have been going to church more often a participating in a Bible study group, so the stress has subsided a bit, and I am trying not to stress out over graduation now. I DC once every two weeks with Lustrasilk Cholesterol mixed with coconut and olive oil and whenever I wash my hair (usually once a week) I alternate between using Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Recontsructor or my regular conditioner, ORS Replenishing conditioner. For leave in I am using Motions Leave In, moisturizer I am using Carol's Daugher Marguerites Magic and ORS olive oil moisturizer.

I know "grease" is bad but my hair was thriving when I used Blue Magic coconut oil. Ever since I stopped using grease, I have noticed my hair breaking off. I know mineral oil and petraolum are bad for your hair, but these watery moisturizers aren't cutting it on my hair, it just sucks them up like a sponge! I also try to seal with a serum when I can.

The first rule is always DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR HAIR. While I don't find mineral oils and grease works for my hair, if you get results with it, stick with that.

Just so I understand, you shampoo once a week and use a regular conditioner with DC'ing every other week? How does your hair feel with your current program?

For me, I have found success following a modified version of Cathy Howse/Wanakee/Chicoro's programs ( I borrow a little from each) which basically boils down to limiting heat (I rarely blow dry or flat iron), I shampoo once a week and DC using protein then moisture conditioners. I am natural by the way.

Are you natural or relaxed?

hey girl! In my opinion, your reggie sounds protein heavy, if Im not mistaken, the cholestorl is protein and so it the aphogee (somebody correct me if Im lyin')

So I would get a true moisture dc asap cause u could b in protein overload. Also, I would start dc ing at every wash and I would lay off the grease but if u really wanna use somethign on your scalp I suggest Hairveda Vatika Frosting I use in in the winter on my scalp and it feels so good.

And if at all possible, I would try to strech my relaxer for as long as you can stand it to not put more stress on your hair before its fully recovered.

I hope this helps. HHJ

OP u never mention what u were using to wash ur hair with! The deep conditions u r using r all protein! Also coconut oil is an hair strengthener and can act as an protein! I am sure about the lustrasilk! i dont use that product! I would suggest that u up the moisture in ur regimen! Also when u deep condition with a protein follow up with a moisture deep condition! Some moisture deep conditions r Kenra moisture, Elucence MB, SE moisture treatment and Elasta DPR11! HHJ

Right now I have been going to church more often a participating in a Bible study group, so the stress has subsided a bit, and I am trying not to stress out over graduation now. I DC once every two weeks with Lustrasilk Cholesterol mixed with coconut and olive oil and whenever I wash my hair (usually once a week) I alternate between using Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Recontsructor or my regular conditioner, ORS Replenishing conditioner. For leave in I am using Motions Leave In, moisturizer I am using Carol's Daugher Marguerites Magic and ORS olive oil moisturizer.

I know "grease" is bad but my hair was thriving when I used Blue Magic coconut oil. Ever since I stopped using grease, I have noticed my hair breaking off. I know mineral oil and petraolum are bad for your hair, but these watery moisturizers aren't cutting it on my hair, it just sucks them up like a sponge! I also try to seal with a serum when I can.

Hi, this is what you want, it shows that your hair is receptive to the moisture, I would keep at it, if you want something like grease try pure coconut oil :)

OP When I DC, I always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner after I use protein (except for when I use One n Only Argan mask and I don't need to). IMO there is nothing wrong with mineral oil or petroleum especially if they work for you. If you are really opposed to them, try a heavier oil to seal with like Wheat Germ Oil which is also ceramide rich.

OP u never mention what u were using to wash ur hair with! The deep conditions u r using r all protein! Also coconut oil is an hair strengthener and can act as an protein! I am sure about the lustrasilk! i dont use that product! I would suggest that u up the moisture in ur regimen! Also when u deep condition with a protein follow up with a moisture deep condition! Some moisture deep conditions r Kenra moisture, Elucence MB, SE moisture treatment and Elasta DPR11! HHJ

Hi all, sorry I haven't been back here in a while! I went on spring break and things got hectic with school. Thank you all for your advice! I am using ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. From all the responses here it seems I need to find a good moisturizing conditioner!

The first rule is always DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR HAIR. While I don't find mineral oils and grease works for my hair, if you get results with it, stick with that.

Just so I understand, you shampoo once a week and use a regular conditioner with DC'ing every other week? How does your hair feel with your current program?

For me, I have found success following a modified version of Cathy Howse/Wanakee/Chicoro's programs ( I borrow a little from each) which basically boils down to limiting heat (I rarely blow dry or flat iron), I shampoo once a week and DC using protein then moisture conditioners. I am natural by the way.

Are you natural or relaxed?

Yes, I shampoo once a week and use regular conditioner and DC once every otherweek. My hair feels soft and supple immediately after washing, but a couple of days later, it is brittle.

Back