TRIMS

klazzy64

Hi ladies here we goo
So I got my last trim about five months ago and I'm wondering if I should get one this month. My ends are kinda rough but I very rarely get any breakage at all So should I sacrifice some hair just to 'be safe' ? Plus are trims really necessary if u dont get very much breakage ? and are there any ladies out there that trim 1-2 times PER YEAR If at all ?

Thank you :grin:

I don't get a lot of breakage either but when my (natural) strands feel dry at the ends (even though I have just moisturized the hair) then I know it's time for a trim.

Just because you don't have any breakage doesn't mean you don't need a trim. Breakage is mainly caused by weak or damaged hair strands, not only split or dry ends/tips. If your ends feel rough it could just be that they are dry and need moisture....... However, if you blow dry or use heat in your hair often you may need to trim off just a little. I know it's time to trim my ends when they start looking straggly or if I see alot of splits on the tips. What has really helped my ends stay healthy is using avocado oil on them, I basically saturate my hair with it and leave it in for 2 days, I do this EVERY week..... it has made a big difference. My hair is relaxed and I flat iron once a week.... I don't blow dry EVER!!

Since being on this journey I've trimmed twice so once every 6 months. I've trimmed when my ends start to show splits (not lots of splits but a few splits). Once I achieve my length goals I'll likely trim on more of a schedule, we'll see.

Last night I trimmed for the first time since my BC 7 months ago. My hand air feels so much better, and I can unravel my twist-outs so much easier now.

I trim my hair whenever I feel my ends are rough. I don't have a schedule but if I want to trim I do wait until it's a new moon. I don't know if this is an old wives (or is it wise) tale or psychological but I notice my hair grows back faster if I wait until a new moon. Hey...if it works! If you want more info on the lunar phases effect on hair please google it. I know nothing about it and couldn't begin to explain, this is just something my mother and grandmother always said and I DO notice a difference.

Last edited:
the ladies that hadnt trimmed for long periods of time and then,decided to what was your reason for doing so ? Was it just for a healthier look ?

For me it was because I continue to be conflicted between the school of thought that says regular trims are necessary and the school that says that not to trim until you half too. After both trims I was just like meh, it didn't make a big difference in anything to me. And I had trim regret each time.

If the ends look bad (thin or raggedy or chewed or all of these) trim it. Don't hold on to nasty ends for the sake of length, because that kind of length isn't impressive.

Just because you don't have any breakage doesn't mean you don't need a trim. Breakage is mainly caused by weak or damaged hair strands, not only split or dry ends/tips. If your ends feel rough it could just be that they are dry and need moisture....... However, if you blow dry or use heat in your hair often you may need to trim off just a little. I know it's time to trim my ends when they start looking straggly or if I see alot of splits on the tips. What has really helped my ends stay healthy is using avocado oil on them, I basically saturate my hair with it and leave it in for 2 days, I do this EVERY week..... it has made a big difference. My hair is relaxed and I flat iron once a week.... I don't blow dry EVER!!

Flawlis1 reggie please?

if your ends feel rough trim them. if you dont trim now if effort to perserve length, you may have to cut more in the future. im not one of those stylist who tell my clients to cut based of the calendar (every 6-8 weeks) when they are growing their hair, i tell them to cut when there is damage and a change in texture/ruoughness shows its time.

Back