Trimming: Naturals, what method do you use?

jennboo

Hello all

I am unsure of what method to use to trim my natural 4b hair. I was going to blow it out a bit first to straighten, but punked out since im afraid of heat :look:.

I know some people swear by straightening the hair first, others trim while the hair is in its shrunken state, or while its in two-strand twists, or wet, etc. etc.

What method are folks using to trim their natural hair?

I don't straighten my hair. I usually have it in twists and just snip the ends. I stretch and snip a small amounts trying to snip about them same amount from all the twists. That's it.

i generally just go through parting my hair in 2 inch sections and try to snip as little off the ends as possible.

last time i used that method, i noticed that i was cutting way more hair than i had intended because of how coily my ends were so I'll recommend either twisting first like Nonie suggested, or doing it whenever you get your hair straightened like most naturals do :yep:

I usually do it when my hair is straightened, I just did it this week because my hair was straight.

I trim or cut my hair while wet in sections depending on the length of the curl. My hair is cut in layers. I try to cut or trim each curl at a time. It can become time consuming, but it's worth it.

I don't straighten my hair. I usually have it in twists and just snip the ends. I stretch and snip a small amounts trying to snip about them same amount from all the twists. That's it.

Interesting. I have debated on whether to do this OR just give in & use a "professional". I want my ends dusted but don't want to lose a lot to snip happy fingers.

I straighten first. I can't stand scraggly ends so I just might be more aggressive than some stylists. :)

I've straightened, trimmed in twists, and sectioned to trim. I think I prefer to trim sectioned hair because I wear my hair in its natural state most of the time. I have different textures and the hair my crown shrinks waaaay more than any other area and when it's straight, I tend to forget that while trimming.

I trim my natural 4b hair while it's in twists for the most part. I've done it while it was blown out and straightened before but I wouldn't do it again. It's easier to trim my ends when it's in twists.

I'm trimming today or tomorrow. I washed my hair yesterday and airdried in about 15 box braids. I plan to take down each section and trim... hope it works.

I take a little off the end of each plait/twist just like Nonie said. I'm about to do this today, I do it every 6 months.

I've trimmed 2 different ways. I've trimmed on blown out hair and I've trimmed on hair that was stretched by twisting. When I trimmed on twist stretched hair, it was after a week of twists and twist outs so my hair was really stretched. In addition, I brushed my hair out to straighten it just a bit. It worked out really well; just as well as blown out hair. In the future, if I choose to not blow out my hair I will air dry in braids or twists to stretch out my hair and trim.

I also trim the same way as pretty dimples on youtube(please see link below). I like this technique because I get a nice even cut/trim.

YouTube - hair update

search & destroy. i never trim regularly, because I never straighten. If i see a knot, i'll try and detangle it, & if that fails, I just nip it out. some folks swear by regular trims, but unless you're concerned about blunt ends & what not, I see no need to.

I do small sections, snip and then twist it up. Other times I press but I'm considering stopping that. I guess it depends on how you usually wear your hair and what's the overall shape of it.

I rarely trim mainly because I never remember. However, when my hair starts getting ridiculously tangled, that's my cue to start snipping. I usually just clip the ends of twists but I need a more systematic method because I am SCISSOR HAPPY. I'll start out trimming nice and evenly but by the time I'm done I realize I've taken upwards of an inch off of the latter sections. OOPS! I'm going to try PrettyDimples method. Hopefully this will work.

I rarely trim mainly because I never remember. However, when my hair starts getting ridiculously tangled, that's my cue to start snipping. I usually just clip the ends of twists but I need a more systematic method because I am SCISSOR HAPPY. I'll start out trimming nice and evenly but by the time I'm done I realize I've taken upwards of an inch off of the latter sections. OOPS! I'm going to try PrettyDimples method. Hopefully this will work.

what's her method?

Back