Trimming doesn't work for me!

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I always see women who cut their hair into cute boobs, or even just trim their hair to make it even and it looks so nice with either very little or no split ends! Since I been taking care of my hair better since 1/12/08 my breakage hasn't become an issue. But even time I do dusting I feel I can never get rid of the split ends and once I cut some, it seem like there is another one!

Has anyone had this problem? I baggy a few times which has help stop breakage, but not split ends!

Maybe trimming is just not good for me!

could it be the scissors you are using?? if you are not using a sharp pair meant specifically for the hair they can actually damage ur hair and cause splits.

I sounds like you just started your journey, and if you are just dusting you probably haven't cut all the damaged hair yet.

Trimmming does not benefit everyone. Cathy Howes covers the topic in her website and book why trimming is not necessary to acheive long gorgeous hair. Don't worry...your hair can still florish.

Here is her website: Look it up in her FAQ's
http://www.ubhpublications.com/

I've been in this hair game for probably 1.5 years, and I feel like I'm still getting rid of all my damaged hair. I'm almost APL and some of the hair on my head is still the hair that I abused, so I consider it to be damaged.

I got like a 3-4 inch chop when I started, another maybe 1.5 inch chop and I'll be getting about 1 inch trimmed tomorrow (this is over like 1.5 years).

It will take a while, but you will grow in new healthy hair, inch by inch.

Last edited:
yea that could be it. scissors should be razor sharp or you run the risk of actually tearing the hair which will cause splits and further damage.

I think you should start using a better pair of scissors and ONLY use them for hair. Maybe you'll see a difference.

Honestly it sounds like your scissors....Scissors should be hair scissor and kept dry and clean...Also what brand scissors are you using ...the cheaper the less sharp they are...Never use scissors on anything other than your hair...or it will dull scissors...If scissors are not sharp enough you will be making new spit ends when you trim.....

I think the scissors are a big part of it.

One day at work I saw a split end, and I was bored so I grabbed my desk scissors and just went around, picking out splits and cutting them off.

NEXT DAY I look at the same spot - TWICE as many splits.

Also I've read that baggying can cause some problems - maybe your hair is over-moisturized, which would cause it to swell, become spongey and possibly split. Maybe you should start integrating more regular protien into the mix.

Ouch, I just read the part about your scissors! This is one of the biggest rules I read everywhere, you're suppose to buy a pair of scissors and ONLY use them for hair.

I went to Sally's and bought a 12 dollar pair just for the couple of times a year that i get a trim.

Back