Trim (or BC): Done at Aveda Institute or Trade Secret Salon?

PaperClip

I need a trim and this may turn into my BC since I have only a little bit of relaxed ends left. Which place should I go to to get this done? What things should I be thinking about/ask the person about the trim that's so close to a BC?

my last trim was done at the Aveda Insitute for $18!!! Even though I'm relaxed, I can tell you this - Aveda is one of the best schools to go to for services and you won't be disappointed. My particular stylist asked me lots of questions before the one I was most impressed with was - are you in transition (growing out layers) and stretching your relaxer. I told her yes and she suggested a few things as far as the cut. Before she started cutting, the instructor came over and they discussed what she was going to be doing to my hair. She cut - exactly what I asked her to! The instructor was there the whole time, she inspected the cut when the stylist was done. She did a great job and I will continue to go back.

I've never seen results of services from Trade Secrets, so I can't help ya there.....

I dont know, but I wasnt too impressed w/Trade Secrets. I have never been to Aveda though. As far as I know, Aveda stylists are trained by the Aveda Academy which is supposed to be a very good cosmetology school. I think that Trade Secrets stylists can get their degree from any school. Correct me if I am wrong. The one in my area is not that great. The lady there overlapped my relaxers. (This was pre-LHCF) She had the nerve to suggest my hair was breaking b/c I washed my hair too much and that I had so much new growth b/c I was washing the relaxer out. Yeah right! She also gave me a horrible cut. She wore a weave. I'll never let her anywhere near my hair again. :nono:

I'm laughing at you, Lovelylocs! She didn't know what she was doing, huh? Thanks for the heads up.... I did have one concern about the Trade Secret person in terms of her wanting to "stretch" my hair out in order to cut it.... I haven't had heat on my hair in 5 months.... I know there are different schools of thought about trimming on wet vs. dry hair (when I was relaxed, I got trims on dry hair, of course!)

JLove74, I've heard only good things about Aveda, and since there's an Institute in my area, I wanted to check it out....Plus, that price sounds real good for this FULL-TIME graduate student!

Thanks for y'all's responses!:)

JLove74 said:
my last trim was done at the Aveda Insitute for $18!!! Even though I'm relaxed, I can tell you this - Aveda is one of the best schools to go to for services and you won't be disappointed. My particular stylist asked me lots of questions before the one I was most impressed with was - are you in transition (growing out layers) and stretching your relaxer. I told her yes and she suggested a few things as far as the cut. Before she started cutting, the instructor came over and they discussed what she was going to be doing to my hair. She cut - exactly what I asked her to! The instructor was there the whole time, she inspected the cut when the stylist was done. She did a great job and I will continue to go back.

I've never seen results of services from Trade Secrets, so I can't help ya there.....

Say what!? I feel like you just told me you saw a unicorn.

sareca said:
Say what!? I feel like you just told me you saw a unicorn.

:lachen: :lachen: I thought I was in the twilight zone!!! The young lady that did my hair is graduating, but you better believe I will be following her to her new job. She's gonna be working at an aveda salon in the area.

Back