Tried shingling...and FAILED!

dollface0023

I just wanted to let out my fustration with my hair. 30 minutes ago I was a mili second away from doing an old school fade on my hair, Just so I wont have to deal with it...And it all started with my bright idea to Shingle.​

After looking on this site and You Tube I decided to try it. Figured since so many people did it with different textures mines would turn out lovely like there's. I was so wrong​

I started out washing it like usual. Put Pantene Pro V Curls Conditioner all over my wet hair...Then went to work seperating and applying the conditioner. After looking at it and realizing it wasn't curling at all, but going BONE straight, I decided to add Smooth 'N shine Conditioner Gel. Now I hate that I used gel on my hair since it makes it hard...But I heard it helped with curling it. It didnt...at all. So I went back and tried to curl different strands around my finger hoping that it would work...This is what it ended up looking like:​

dscf4111.jpg

shingle.jpg

I swear I looked like Big worm...that only made me more irritated :wallbash:

This is it Semi-Dry:
dscf4120u.jpg

dscf4116p.jpg

dscf4124.jpg

(Don't mind the white dots...It happened when I resized it)​

I've always had issues with my hair not growing, and pretty much not knowing what to do with it...but this set me over the edge. My own mother had to step in and tell me that My hair is my own and not to expect it to look like everyone else's. But I still cant help being annoyed that I don't know what to do with it besides put wigs and weaves in it!​

I still don't even know what hair type I am...Sucks.
Sorry for the long post. I had to really let that out :ohwell:

Are you relaxed? Your hair looks relaxed in the pics.

If you are relaxed or transitioning to natural then your hair probably won't shingle. Shingling works best on natural hair.

I can understand your frustration, though. We have all been there. That's why it's called a hair journey so you can get to know your hair and try different things to see what works for you and your hair.

Take your time, be patient, and don't give up.

My hair was actually naturally curly growing up...but my mother relaxed it as a kid. My texture hasn't been the same since...

This is my natural hair. I've never been able to hold an actual curl to my hair ever...

I think it's too much product and that procudt is too heavy for your hair type. U shouldn't shingle 1st, try a co-wash, then leave in or put in a quarter size of conditoner throughout your hair, let it dry don't touch it at all and see what u get, u may have to scruch when it's almost dry. HTH

This is my natural hair. I've never been able to hold an actual curl to my hair ever...

Ok. Well the purpose of shingling is to define your natural curl pattern. It seems that your curls are large and loose so shingling is probably not for you.

What I would suggest would be to try a product lighter than gel to bring out the natural loose curls and waves that you have. Maybe a liquid leave in or a rinse out conditioner. Your hair probably only needs a small amount to coax out your natural loose waves and curls.

HTH.

Do you straighten a lot? My oldest DD flat-irons her hair and she's lost a lot of her curl definition and her hair looks similar if she uses gel on her hair.

Ok. Well the purpose of shingling is to define your natural curl pattern. It seems that your curls are large and loose so shingling is probably not for you.

What I would suggest would be to try a product lighter than gel to bring out the natural loose curls and waves that you have. Maybe a liquid leave in or a rinse out conditioner. Your hair probably only needs a small amount to coax out your natural loose waves and curls.

HTH.

Okay...Thanks. I'll definetly try that and see what happens :drunk:

Do you straighten a lot? My oldest DD flat-irons her hair and she's lost a lot of her curl definition and her hair looks similar if she uses gel on her hair.

I haven't put heat on my hair for about 2 years...and back then I was constantly going back and forth to the hair stylist and letting them put heat on my hair...

:bighug: Don't worry dollface! Not every style/technique/product is for everybody. Perhaps using lighter products will make the shingling work for you... or perhaps shingling just isn't for you in general. Either way, you can still achieve your hair goals :yay:

I would have never known you were natural! You look relaxed! Try again next time, but maybe use different products.

i agree with knt1229.

i dont shingle because it doesnt work for me. when i do and my hair dries i'm left looking like a wet rat still cause my curls are sooooo stretched and i end up with zero curls at the scalp so that even though my hair is dry it looks wet and kinda gross. when you have a looser curl pattern you want products that are light and holding. shrinkage is our friend.

oh yeah! it also depends on the look you're going for. what you trying to do? big and poofy or long and stretched?

if your not relaxed and if you dont have heat damage then your natural texture is probably just the type that dislikes shingling. mine doesnt like it much either. anyway it looks like your a looser texture so dont worry too much.

just a PS. a lot of times looser textures - 3a and up do better with moosse than gel. ( not everything works for everyone, but if gel isnt working for you, maybe you can try that) :)

i agree with knt1229.

i dont shingle because it doesnt work for me. when i do and my hair dries i'm left looking like a wet rat still cause my curls are sooooo stretched and i end up with zero curls at the scalp so that even though my hair is dry it looks wet and kinda gross. when you have a looser curl pattern you want products that are light and holding. shrinkage is our friend.

oh yeah! it also depends on the look you're going for. what you trying to do? big and poofy or long and stretched?

Thanks girly :grouphug:

I wanted a big and curly style..but that's just not gonna work for my hair.

Like the other ladies said....I'll just have to experiment and find what works my texture....

if your not relaxed and if you dont have heat damage then your natural texture is probably just the type that dislikes shingling. mine doesnt like it much either. anyway it looks like your a looser texture so dont worry too much.

just a PS. a lot of times looser textures - 3a and up do better with moosse than gel. ( not everything works for everyone, but if gel isnt working for you, maybe you can try that) :)

Thanks...I'll give the moose a try the next time I attempt to do this again:grin:

Ive never seen natural hair on any head that looked like that before, I would suggest doing twist outs on your hair, that would give better curl definition

Ive never seen natural hair on any head that looked like that before, I would suggest doing twist outs on your hair, that would give better curl definition

Yea, reason why I have a tough time figuring out to do anything to my hair...since no one else seems to have texture like mines.

I'll have to try the twist outs on my hair...Thanks :drunk:

for me, mousse was not my friend. it left my hair feeling dry and not so nice. i use conditioner as a leave in and then seal with oil. i also (when i have time) air dry in a pineapple which gives me more volume at the root. or if i have to go some where i will diffuse with my head upside down and side to side.

also, a good way to get the bigger hair styles on not so big hair AND preserve curl is to separate the curls on your scalp but leave the end curls in tact.

lets see if i can explain that better. like i flip my head over (once fully dry) and take both hands (fingers spread) shove them in my hair at the scalp and kinda mess things up a bit, but only there. i leave the ends alone so they're still clumped.

sorry if that doesnt make sense :(

My natural hair texture is like that too. I know how you feel. The key for me to bringing out the curl pattern was flat twists and and a little conditioner as a leave in. That should help.

Back