Tremendous breakage after braids!!!!!

Frustrated

Ladies I need your help! I got my hair braided on 1/26 beause my hair was breaking due to a relaxer. Before braiding I gave myself a protein treatment and DC. While my hair was braided I used African Royale braid spray and lenzi's request. I took my braids down 2 days ago and my hair came out everywhere :eek: ! Now, ladies my last relaxer was 12/18 and I was attempting to go natural, now I'm not sure if that is also a cause of breakage. Should I go ahead and relax or will that cause me more problems?

At this time my hair is in a bun, I gave myself a protein treatment with ORS mayonaise, DC with cholesterol with EVO in it and use some lacio lacio leave in and let it airdry until I make a decision. I really don't want to cut and start over .

I'm sorry.

Were the braids tighter than normal? If so it could have damaged your hair causing the breakage.

How soon after your perm did you get the braids put in....it might have been too much strain on your hair.

Right now I think you're doing good by deep conditioning your hair. I had to give myself a good protein treatment after taking out my braids last week.

I would do a good trim and baby my hair for a while and avoid braids. My last braids made me not want to get anymore anytime soon.

I'm sorry that happened to you. If you haven't already, make sure you clarify. After braids I usually have a lot of build-up and my hair doesn't respond well to treatments unless I start from a clean slate.

I would clarify and continue w/ protein or moisture for 2 weeks before relaxing again.

well you also have to keep in mind, that while in braids you don't shed that 50-100 hairs per day that are gonna come out regardless. If your hair was in a weakend state before braids, then its not gonna do too much better if you perm it right now. I would take a break from everything. No perm, no braids, and just bun it for about 1-2 months. Dc weekly, using a moistuizing leave in, and doing a protein tx, once per month, and see if the breakage slows down. I know that protein tx, and be a temporary fix in slowing down breakage, but it really sounds like you need to give your hair some tlc for a while, and not do anything taxing including heat. Good luck to you hth.

Are you sure that wasn't just a lot of shedded hair? Are you talking hair that came from the scalp or breaking ends?

I suggest giving your hair a rest and wear protective styling.

ajargon02 said:
well you also have to keep in mind, that while in braids you don't shed that 50-100 hairs per day that are gonna come out regardless. If your hair was in a weakend state before braids, then its not gonna do too much better if you perm it right now. I would take a break from everything. No perm, no braids, and just bun it for about 1-2 months. Dc weekly, using a moistuizing leave in, and doing a protein tx, once per month, and see if the breakage slows down. I know that protein tx, and be a temporary fix in slowing down breakage, but it really sounds like you need to give your hair some tlc for a while, and not do anything taxing including heat. Good luck to you hth.

I should have read this response before posting. Right on!

I have some cornrows right now, and I'm pretty sure I will need to clarify before I put my Apretedora Hair Fortifying Treatment (by the way, has anyone used this?) in...what shampoo do you clarify with?

I was expecting the shedding hair but I also had the breakage, and my hair is shorter than it was before I braid, to the point that I almost can't do a bun and I started off at shoulder length. Now what protective style can I wear because right now with all this new growth I'm close to looking like blossssom's avatar picture!

sareca said:
I'm sorry that happened to you. If you haven't already, make sure you clarify. After braids I usually have a lot of build-up and my hair doesn't respond well to treatments unless I start from a clean slate.

I would clarify and continue w/ protein or moisture for 2 weeks before relaxing again.
What clarifying shampoo should I use?

Frustrated said:
What clarifying shampoo should I use?

There are several you can use, but you can always use whatever neutralizing shampoo that you have on hand. Most (that I've seen) specifically state on the label that they can be used to remove product build-up. I use neutralizing shampoo to clarify, with great results.

If you need to buy a clarifier, you can try V05 Kiwi & Lime or Vanilla Mint (new!), Suave Daily Clarifying, or ORS Creamy Aloe.

sareca said:

I agree...maybe even do it for 3 weeks.

^^^ i too agree. clarify, use a good moisturizing shampoo (i luv motions lavish shampoo), mild protein conditioner followed by a deep conditioner w/ a moisturizing conditioner.

also--make sure your hair is moisturized well.

i like the idea of being in a protective style until u decide if u r going to relax b/c u haven't had a relaxer since 12/06 and the diff. in ur two textures are probably reall distinct and thus more easily prone to breaking.

Since you said you haven't had a relaxer in 2+ months, it can be a combination of shed hair and breakage of the relaxed hair which is in a fragile state to begin with. If that is tha case you may be able to give your hair tlc for a few weeks and then rebraid if you are transitioning. If your hair broke at the root in addition to thinning, then definitely don't braid again cause maybe your hair doesn't agree w/ them.

Last edited:
Ntrlmystik said:
Since you said you haven't had a relaxer in 2+ months, it can be a combination of shed hair and breakage of the relaxed hair which is in a fragile state to begin with. If that is tha case you may be able to give your hair tlc for a few weeks and then rebraid if you are transitioning. If your hair broke at the root in addition to thinning, then definitely don't braid again cause maybe your hair doesn't agree w/ them.
I don't think my hair agree's with braids, I've tried them previously and I never have the same results as anyone else. I really just don't know what to do with it at this time.

You meantioned that your hair was breaking after a relaxer so you braided it. If the hair was already weakened or damaged, I do not think that braiding would stop it from breaking, but maybe all of the broken and shed hairs would stay inside the braids until you unbraided.

I am guessing and bumping this thread because someone can tell you what happened maybe. Certainly consider avoiding braids, heat, and new relaxers and wash and deep condition as much as possible.

Have you used one of the deep protein treatments like ApHogee, Emergency, or Dudley 28 - I've read that many ladies have great success using these to stop breakage.

newflowers said:
You meantioned that your hair was breaking after a relaxer so you braided it. If the hair was already weakened or damaged, I do not think that braiding would stop it from breaking, but maybe all of the broken and shed hairs would stay inside the braids until you unbraided.

I am guessing and bumping this thread because someone can tell you what happened maybe. Certainly consider avoiding braids, heat, and new relaxers and wash and deep condition as much as possible.

Have you used one of the deep protein treatments like ApHogee, Emergency, or Dudley 28 - I've read that many ladies have great success using these to stop breakage.

I used the aphogee protein treatment before I got the braids and was just a little apprehensive about using it right after I took my braids out.
The ORS mayonaise treat helped alot, I believe it's like you said that the ends continued to break and stayed inside the braid. I'm only have minimal shredding now just about normal. My hair actual looks like layers have been cut, because I still have the length at the bottom. I will continue to baby my hair and just will not put anymore braids in.

Back