"Traveling thinness" & Trim Setback. Anyone else?

Atiramisu

I became an LHCF member in early 2005. Back then, I used to wear my hair short (straight bob, ear length) because it was extremely low maintenance and ALWAYS looked fresh and I relaxed EVERY 5 weeks, no exceptions. When I joined LHCF, I was on a mission to see how long it would grow and if I could actually do it.

Last year, I moved to another state, found a really good stylist and I now stretch my relaxer to 9 weeks. I re-discovered Sta Sof Fro for weeks 7-9 (she commented on my hair texture today, because it is usually EXTREMELY difficult to get through the new growth and today it wasn't and when I told her what I'd used she did NOT know what Sta Sof Fro was! :blush: -- oh well, my age is showing. *proudly 43*)

So, back to my story: one area in the back of my hair is thinner and grows slower than the sides, top, front, etc. My sides and front seem to grow extremely well. So today, to even it out, my stylist trimmed my hair about an inch. I felt like crying. It seems I take 1 step forward and 3 steps back.

My hair is past my shoulders, but I just can NOT seem to get to armpit or bra strap length. I very rarely use heat; I deep condition, I don't comb too much, I do protective styles, etc. You would think FOR ALL OF THIS EFFORT I would have reached my goals by now. :wallbash: My stylist said she thought wrapping my hair at night and using silk pillowcases may help the thin area. (She said perhaps it's because I may sleep on my back OR other activity that I shall not go into right now! :grin: *my husband is great, but we're not THAT busy* if you understand what I'm sayin'!)

Has anyone else had "traveling thinness?" -- the way she explained it is the hair breakage starts and travels upward, so the area looks thinner and thinner, so, when blended with the rest of my hair which is thicker and looks great, it doesn't look good. It did look fuller when she trimmed it back, but I feel like I've had a setback.

For the most part my hair is doing very well, but there is one spot in the back where it's thin and NOTHING seems to make it grow faster, thicker or longer. I'm discouraged. :nono:

The only contributing factors I can think of are:

a.) sleeping on my back and not always using a scarf, and definitely not wrapping it, because I haven't;

b.) not using silk pillowcases;

c.) my protective styles aren't protecting the area that I'm concerned about. I usually pin my hair up in the back and I do rely on long barrettes and I'll usually pull it back, braid it and pin it into a bun -- maybe that's causing the thinness?

I could really use the encouragement right now. :attention:

Can you post your regime?
I would strongly agree with protecting your hair at night with a silk/satin scarf to prevent breakage!
Are you moisturizing daily?
Are listening to your hair? Is it protein/moisture balanced?

I am having the same problem but I think I know exactly where this is comming from.....relaxer run off. I think that over time, the run off of relaxer residue was slowly processing my ends over and over again. I am hoping to stretch this next relaxer out a little longer than usual and start trimming these thin ends off.

There may be a combination of things going on...

Do you always start your relaxer in this same area? Do you always use a style where that area gets the most tension? When your hair gets trimmed does that area get trimmed? Sometimes those shorter areas, especially underneath, don't get trimmed thus the ends keep splitting...KWIM??

Def get a silk scarf and/or silk pillowcase.

As far as relaxer run off...try part your hair in super tiny sections and HEAVILY coating your hair, beginning where your new growth ends and continuing to the ends.

I just took my braids out and i lost about 10 inches of hair u talkin about thinnin i lost more tha a average in a yrs time.:wallbash:

Hi,

What helped me with my thinning area in the back is to tie my scarf in the front. My left nape always thinned out. I use a silk scarf at night but where I tie it usually ends up right at that left nape area when I wake in the morning. Since I've starting tying in the front it's growing back nicely. HTH

Wheezy, I don't do my own relaxer. I go to a stylist every 9 weeks. In between, I wash once a week, deep condition, let it air dry. I use a combination of products and try to balance moisture and protein. I have a huge arsenal of products (:ohwell:) but I mostly use Carol's Daughter's Lisa's Elixer, HHB and Hair Balm and I've gone back to using Sta Sof Fro because it offers alot of moisture that seems to stay in my hair for about 3-5 days --

I rarely lose alot of hair when I shampoo/condition. I shampoo/condition in the shower, gently comb out with Pantene R&N Wrap Lotion and Neutrogena Shine Serum, one ponytail and scarf to airdry. I don't lose any strands.

Like I mentioned, my front, sides, back sides, etc. are starting to grow pretty long and could reach bra strap, it's that one section in back (where you'd part if you were going to have ponytails on each side) -- it's weak and doesn't grow.

Also, my protective styles -- usually it's gathered in the back with one of those big clips (not the grabber kind, but the ones that spring open with a flat comb against your head and a piece that goes over the top of your hair or a big barrette for a pony, braided and pinned -- (so it looks like a honeycomb in the back.)

Is this the type of regime info you were referring to?

Longhairluva -- I think that my pinning might be the culprit. :wallbash:

Any suggestions? Here I've been thinking I'm doing the right thing and now I think I'm messing up my own progress.

Longhairluva -- I think that my pinning might be the culprit. :wallbash:

Any suggestions? Here I've been thinking I'm doing the right thing and now I think I'm messing up my own progress.

I would try a different protective style for now or how about rollersets. I for one can't do many protective styles because my hairline and nape are very fragile. I wear rollersets and a soon as I come home, i pin my hair up with a duckbill clip.

Would everyone post a photo of the types of clips that are the least nondamaging? Maybe that's my problem... My hair is most vulnerable at the name of my neck -- a little above the nape, low center.... :sad:

Back