Transitioning/Twistouts on Relaxed Hair

Soude

I'm trying to help my mom transition. I think she has about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of NG coarse 4a/b in texture and the rest of her hair (slightly longer than SL) is relaxed straight.

She's had box braids in for some time and no healthy hair practices. What should I do when she takes them down this weekend?

I wanted to do a twistout but when I tried them on myself when I was transitioning, I FAILed and the relaxed ends were stringly and limp while my roots were puffy and carpety. HAM!! But I also didn't know I was supposed to use product for it.

My mom can't self style so if I do that to her, she is going to run to Enrique's and spend the next several months upset with herself for doing it and I want her to be happy or at least start her on that process.

I have some Jane Carter Twist & Lock, some Fantasia IC, AO White Camelia Condish, and Nature's Gate Hemp Condish.

I wish I could help but I have the same exact problem with twistouts on my transitioning hair (stringy relaxed ends and puffy roots). I'll be keeping up with this thread to see what is suggested.

You may want to try a two-strand cornrow twist. This natural hair style gets rid of the stringy ends issue and blends your roots with your natural hair since they are cornrowed to your scalp.

Just always be careful to not make tight twists when you are doing these styles because it can cause permanent hair breakage.

I am 33 weeks post and I did a twistout last week which still turned out really good. The results in my siggy are at 28 weeks post (I think).

I do 5 flat twists and then bantuknot the ends so that all off my hair is curly.

I cowash, apply leave in, allow hair to airdry to about 80%, on each section I apply a generous amount of lustrasilk shea butter cholestrol and flat twist. I leave them in overnight or until they are completely dry.

Also try braidouts - cornrows and use rollers at the ends.

Last edited:
I am 33 weeks post and I did a twistout last week which still turned out really good. The result's in my siggy are at 28 weeks post (I think).

I do 5 flat twists and then bantuknot the ends so that all off my hair is curly.

I cowash, apply leave in, allow hair to airdry to about 80%, on each section I apply a generous amount of lustrasilk shea butter cholestrol and flat twist. I leave them in overnight or until they are completely dry.

Also try braidouts - cornrows and use rollers at the ends.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Thanks ladies. Wish I'd known about rolling the ends for my own transition. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The flat twist outs blended my ends MUCH better - also, it kept more tension on the roots so they didn't dry puffy. :yep:

Back