Transitioning to Natural is SOMETHING ELSE!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I can never have a set schedule when to wash and do my hair. I have a hair journal and was looking at it the other day and noticed that I've been washing my hair every 3-4 days. I've noticed if I wait too long to wash, my hair gets really dry. I tried to plan washing every 2 weeks for less manipulation, then brought it down to once a week, and now I'm washing more often than that. My hair feels and looks much better after water has been through it. I've been putting my hair in a bun, but right now my hair is in an airdried ponytail. This weekend, I'm going to wash my hair again since I haven't conditioned my hair yet this week. I still haven't used my Maxiglide. I may try it out this weekend, who knows. Just wanted to share...
Are there any transitioners out there that are being consistent? If so, how do you do it? And do you think it is important to stay consistent and why?

I think its important to be consistent so you don't get frustrated and throw in the towel. If you find products that do the job, stick with them! After trying a million different products and ending up with a tangled up mess, I decided to stick with what I know. I would like to wash more often, but I don't have time to do my braidout more than once a week,

:scratchch hmmm...thinking about trying braid-outs again...
:think:

...I'm going to do one this weekend instead of blowdrying and using the Maxiglide...

...I hope I'll be able to use my Maxiglide one day... :look:

Last edited:
I guess I'm not really a transitioner but I can relate to the washing frequency- I think natural hair demands water/moisture (at least mine does). Have you tried rewetting the hair a bit and adding a leave in? Sometimes I do this (using Dudley's PCA) and it allows me to last seven days.

When I first started transitioning, water was my best friend. My hair, to look presentable, actually needed water also - about every day or two. As I got later in the transition, I learned that I could just spritz with a water and conditioner mix and add a few oils and get the same results. That cut down on the manipulation.

I need to cowash at least three times a week. I don't really "do" my hair. It's generally in a bun, doing the baggie method or in an instant weave. I found it's easier when I wash and then leave it alone. I don't need to shampoo that often. My hair loves good inexpensive conditioners and deep conditioners. I also don't indulge in heat often. My hair doesn't like it.

I think once you find out what works for you consistency is good. But if you're still learning and finding better alternatives there's no room to be strict and consitent. I'd say for about the first 5 months of my transition, I wasn't consistent at all but once I found out what worked and what didn't I stuck to a routine.

I also washed my hair weekly. I would wash, condition, braid and then do a braid-out that lasted me a week. It was easy and it worked for me :)

kristina said:
I guess I'm not really a transitioner but I can relate to the washing frequency- I think natural hair demands water/moisture (at least mine does). Have you tried rewetting the hair a bit and adding a leave in? Sometimes I do this (using Dudley's PCA) and it allows me to last seven days.
Yep, I've been doing that when I wear a bun, but I don't take the bun down. I would sometimes spray water, SCurl, and then apply gel to the hair that's exposed. But I just get bored and decide to wash my hair if I want to put my bun in a different position or something. I will not attempt to re-position my bun when my hair is dry! I think natural hair demands water too! :yep:

Hi Poohbear,
As you already know, i am new to transitioning so i'm still finding a solid routine. So far i have been very consistent over the last 4 weeks because i've found whsat products and methods have worked for me. I wear braids 24/7 so i really do not handle my hair until i remove them. First of all, i conditioner washes once a week with Alberto VO5 conditioners, i would like to do daily CWs/rinsing however the weather is still too cold in England and i have to be very careful as i have Sinus problems. I also shampoo and deep condition once a week, i mainly use CON, and for conditioners i mainly use humecto, silk protein, or Motions CPR.

GodMadeMePretty said:
When I first started transitioning, water was my best friend. My hair, to look presentable, actually needed water also - about every day or two. As I got later in the transition, I learned that I could just spritz with a water and conditioner mix and add a few oils and get the same results. That cut down on the manipulation.
That's what I've been noticing with my hair when I wear a bun. What's been working for me is water, SCurl, and Citre Shine gel. Makes my edges lay down and non-frizzy. :yep:

Tai said:
I need to cowash at least three times a week. I don't really "do" my hair. It's generally in a bun, doing the baggie method or in an instant weave. I found it's easier when I wash and then leave it alone. I don't need to shampoo that often. My hair loves good inexpensive conditioners and deep conditioners. I also don't indulge in heat often. My hair doesn't like it.
I'm thought about doing this... :yep: I've been wearing weave hair wrapped around my bun for more volume but I don't know if I really can get used to it. So I'm gonna try the braidout once a week thing. Like the sew-in weave I had in 2 months ago...after one week, I took it out! :lol:

Last edited:
mkstar826 said:
I think once you find out what works for you consistency is good. But if you're still learning and finding better alternatives there's no room to be strict and consitent. I'd say for about the first 5 months of my transition, I wasn't consistent at all but once I found out what worked and what didn't I stuck to a routine.

I also washed my hair weekly. I would wash, condition, braid and then do a braid-out that lasted me a week. It was easy and it worked for me :)
Thanks for your response. I'm 5.5 months into my transition and what you said could explain what i'm going through. So far, I know my hair loves S-Curl and Suave Professionals Humectant. Oils work on and off, and styling can be hard to find especially since I'm trying to avoid using too much heat. :yep:

den1 said:
Hi Poohbear,
As you already know, i am new to transitioning so i'm still finding a solid routine. So far i have been very consistent over the last 4 weeks because i've found whsat products and methods have worked for me. I wear braids 24/7 so i really do not handle my hair until i remove them. First of all, i conditioner washes once a week with Alberto VO5 conditioners, i would like to do daily CWs/rinsing however the weather is still too cold in England and i have to be very careful as i have Sinus problems. I also shampoo and deep condition once a week, i mainly use CON, and for conditioners i mainly use humecto, silk protein, or Motions CPR.
I didn't know you were from England! Cool! Best wishes to you during your transition. :yep:

Poohbear said:
I can never have a set schedule when to wash and do my hair. I have a hair journal and was looking at it the other day and noticed that I've been washing my hair every 3-4 days. I've noticed if I wait too long to wash, my hair gets really dry. I tried to plan washing every 2 weeks for less manipulation, then brought it down to once a week, and now I'm washing more often than that. My hair feels and looks much better after water has been through it. I've been putting my hair in a bun, but right now my hair is in an airdried ponytail. This weekend, I'm going to wash my hair again since I haven't conditioned my hair yet this week. I still haven't used my Maxiglide. I may try it out this weekend, who knows. Just wanted to share...
Are there any transitioners out there that are being consistent? If so, how do you do it? And do you think it is important to stay consistent and why?

Well I've been transitioning for a while now, and looking back I find that I've always been vacillating between periods of chaotic searching for a good regimen, and comfortable following of said good regimen. For me it would take a while to find the right products and techniques given the condition of my hair, but once I found it everything was fine...for awhile. A couple inches of newgrowth later, what once was working wasn't working anymore, and I'd begin the chaos again :lol:
I think you're doing the right thing, Poohbear, which is just to do whatever your hair tells you to do, even if it changes over time :)

During my transition I had to be consistent, in growing my hair out with extensions and drawstring ponytails for months at a time would not have worked if I was not consistent with my regimen.

Deep conditioning was a big part so made sure I stuck to that. My hair also loves shampoo, natural or relaxed so I have to use a good shampoo. My biggest obstacle was figuring out what products to use so I had a lot of things on rotation. :)

Daisy'sHair said:
During my transition I had to be consistent, in growing my hair out with extensions and drawstring ponytails for months at a time would not have worked if I was not consistent with my regimen.

Deep conditioning was a big part so made sure I stuck to that. My hair also loves shampoo, natural or relaxed so I have to use a good shampoo. My biggest obstacle was figuring out what products to use so I had a lot of things on rotation. :)
Well the only consistent thing I'm doing is deep conditioning my hair once a week. :yep: Just products I use are not consistent. Right now, I'm in the process of trying to use up the products I have and then just having a few products to work with. After I use up all the products I have, I want to just have one cheap conditioner for co-washes (Suave), deep conditioner, one moisturizer (which will be S-Curl), and an oil concotion of jojoba, olive, shea butter, and coconut oil. :yep:

Last edited:
Back