Transitioning to natural hair...to cut or not to cut?

kiara8255

I'm transitioning to natural hair and am thinking about doing the "big chop". I've been without a relaxer for 7 months and only have about 3 inches of new growth. I've been wearing two strand twists (w/extensions) and am totally tired of them. Plus they are $150 and only last 5 weeks for me. I'm also tired of dealing with my "stringy" permed hair in conjuction with my beautiful thick new growth.

I've never had "short" hair before and am afraid if i cut most of it off, I'd have a nervous breakdown. :eek: I'd probably give new meaining to the TWA. On the other hand I rather have short healthy hair that will grow back nice and healthy rather than long hair that is extremely difficult to handle because of the two textures and that is more prone to breakage.

From looking at various natural hair albums, it seems as if the hair grows back really fast when cut. I'd love all of your opinoins on what I should do. Thanks!

kiara8255 said:
I'm transitioning to natural hair and am thinking about doing the "big chop". I've been without a relaxer for 7 months and only have about 3 inches of new growth. I've been wearing two strand twists (w/extensions) and am totally tired of them. Plus they are $150 and only last 5 weeks for me. I'm also tired of dealing with my "stringy" permed hair in conjuction with my beautiful thick new growth.

I've never had "short" hair before and am afraid if i cut most of it off, I'd have a nervous breakdown. :eek: I'd probably give new meaining to the TWA. On the other hand I rather have short healthy hair that will grow back nice and healthy rather than long hair that is extremely difficult to handle because of the two textures and that is more prone to breakage.

From looking at various natural hair albums, it seems as if the hair grows back really fast when cut. I'd love all of your opinoins on what I should do. Thanks!

You might like it! If you decide to cut you can always go back to wearing the two strand twist with extentions, so that you can feel comfortable.

Do you plan on continuing to wear the twist until you gain your desired length? Well...I say free your hair of the unhealthy ends and continue to wear the twist until you reach you goal. You might feel better about wearing twists longer knowing that you've got rid of your ends.

I wore kinky twist and then cut off the relaxed ends. Ah freedom! Afterwards, I wore weaves for 8 months. My hair grew to a comfortable length during that time. Certainly you could check out a TWA and then opt for a lengthier doo. Extensions or weaves do the trick while you're waiting .

Kiara8255 I give you props just for wanting to go natural. I am 100% natural and I love it, natural hair has such versatility. I transitioned for a year wearing Kinky twists, crochet braids, box braids and drawstring ponytails. I set a goal to grow my hair out before I did the big chop and it grew 6 inches, with maybe 9 inches of relaxed ends. During my transition I cut off 1-2 inches of permed ends each time I got a new set of extensions. By the time I did the big chop I only had maybe three inches of permed ends left.

If you feel the urge to chop go for it, if you set a goal stick to it though. Do not let anyon else journey dral yours. however you want to grow out your hair do it your way. Where the kinky twists or extensions or whatever until you are comfortable. When you do finally chop you will be so elated and you will love the new coif. :)

i think you should chop when u are comfortable not something to be rushing into. but with 3in of newgrowth you will probably pretty much skip the whole twa stage!!! I chopped when i had 4in so i think you will be ok if you chop now. Have you considered a flatiron style or maybe a cornrow style, or a cute lil wig to get you thru? either way i think you will recover pretty quick after the chop 3in in 7months means you grow about 6in per year so your hair will not be short for long

happy growing whatever you choose

tru_mind said:
You might like it! If you decide to cut you can always go back to wearing the two strand twist with extentions, so that you can feel comfortable.

Do you plan on continuing to wear the twist until you gain your desired length? Well...I say free your hair of the unhealthy ends and continue to wear the twist until you reach you goal. You might feel better about wearing twists longer knowing that you've got rid of your ends.
I totally agree!

Good luck.

xx

When I was transistioning I wore braids and weaves for 8 months and when I cut all my permed ends it was soooooooo much easier to wash my hair..

But I went back to braids cause I wasn't comfortable with the length..

Pressed my hair is past my shoulders.. while its wet I can put it in a ponytail..once the NYC finally gets SPRING weather..I'll finally wear it out..that way I can let it airdry without any worries..

Hey Kiara,
I transitioned for just six weeks and short hair doesn't bother me all that much, plus dealing with two textures to me is madness. But I tell you, everybody's different. In the end it comes down to what you want most: healthy, natural hair or length. It looks like you are close to bc'ing. One day soon you will be so tired of dealing with the two textures and you will be so in love with your natural hair that you will just do it. Combing wet natural hair is such a pleasure and you may be surprised at how pretty you look with short hair...add a pretty scarf or flower, pretty earrings and just the right shade of lipstick and wow :love: You may be surprised. Short hair can be very feminine and it can really show your strengths too. Good luck girlie you'll be all natural really soon!

I was a chicken. I didn't want to wear extensions, braids or anything else because I never have worn anything other than my own hair and I'm EXTREMELY thrifty (ahem . .. cheap) so my transition is ongoing. I started off with almost BSL hair and I STILL have some anemic permed ends.

I wore my hair in a low ponytail with ends tucked under (my version of the bun) the entire time except when I flat-ironed it in October. I flat-ironed it again last weekend after a ponytail rollerset intending to chop all the remaining permed ends off but my husband wouldn't do it. He wants me to wait until after I have the baby. But he doesn't know my plan - go into labor, get in the shower and wash hair, chop off permed ends, flat twist, get under dryer, untwist for a twist-out, go to hospital, deliver the baby. Yeah, when I tell him that's what I plan to do, he may cut it for me.

GodMadeMePretty said:
But he doesn't know my plan - go into labor, get in the shower and wash hair, chop off permed ends, flat twist, get under dryer, untwist for a twist-out, go to hospital, deliver the baby. Yeah, when I tell him that's what I plan to do, he may cut it for me.

That is too cute. :grin:

But to the original poster, you really have to do what is best for you. I have been transitioning since 1/04. I cut off about 6inches of relaxed ends and I only have an inch or so left. I'm trying to wait until it gets warm to chop. So in the mean time I'm wearing kinky twists and will rebraid once I take these out. And then, the chopping will commence.

I transitioned for 1 year and 4 months. If my head wasn't so dang-on big, I would have big chopped instead. I did not get extensions or anything,but I kept my hair in braidout styles and in buns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back