Transitioning...These darn relaxed ends...dreading with the natural part

Tylers-mom

Ladies-I lost SO much hair detangling yesterday. I have about 2-3 inches of fully relaxed hair left. I did it in the shower under running water while using Aussie Moist. The problem is that my relaxed ends had become like dread locks in sense. The only thing I could do what comb/rip it out!!:ohwell:

But my hair feels so soft and better than ever...I did a braid out afterwards. Is it normal to loose a massive amount of hair?? I detangle on average of once every 1-2 weeks. I co-wash every couple of days though...

2-3 inches? Go ahead and chop them suckas off. And yes I lose alot of hair but I'm a heavy shedder and thats something that varies from person to person.

2-3 inches? Go ahead and chop them suckas off. And yes I lose alot of hair but I'm a heavy shedder and thats something that varies from person to person.
:lol: I am sooo tempted to. I really want to so badly but I'm scared. Not to mention I'm afraid how they'll react at work, etc. I'm already a brave woman coming in here with my wild braid outs, etc. :ohwell: 2-3 inches really isn't alot....

It's not alot AT ALL! You are basically fully natural and do you really want to keep dealing with the hair dreading and tangling up and you fighting with it? Seriously...ONLY 2-3 inches! The only thing that will happen is your hair will thank you for getting rid of those trouble makers lol

How many months post are you?

I'm 7 months since last relaxer and I've struggled with the dreading as well. I actually lost about the same, 2-3", in August when my relaxed strands just locked on me. I had to gently rip out this really big dreaded knot, it was heartwrenching. Anyway, I decided to cut my hair, I went from 1" past BSL to semi APL, see siggie pic.

I just started washing with a detangler shampoo by Keracare and using a daily moisturizer by Paul Mitchell. You seem very close to the 100% natural finish line, so I would chop off the relaxed ends.

I let go 4-5 inches of my relaxed ends this past week and i feel so free! It's soooooo much easier to comb thru my hair now! I'm dying to get rid of the last few relaxed inches but i need them to make my ponytail so i'm holding on a bit.

Go on and cut girl, you wont regret it!

I wouldve chopped them off as soon ai realized that that was all I had left. Cut. there's really no point in holding on to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Trust me I totally understand. I am in my 14th month of transitioning and I'm sure I loose a lot more hair than I would if I just went ahead and chopped but for some reason I'm scurred! LOL! One thing I do that help me tame the ends is baggy with conditioner for about an hour or two before I wash and the tangles just melt away.

It's not alot AT ALL! You are basically fully natural and do you really want to keep dealing with the hair dreading and tangling up and you fighting with it? Seriously...ONLY 2-3 inches! The only thing that will happen is your hair will thank you for getting rid of those trouble makers lol

How many months post are you?

You know what-I should clarify that I started texlaxing before I wanted to become natural...so I have about 4 inches of texlaxed hair. The texlaxed portion blends wonderfully with my natural part (which is also about 3 inches). I really should consider doing away with these relaxed ends.

Not sure if this is noted already yet but....You can get rid of detangling all together. This is something I picked up from Noni.

If you braid your hair beforehand (make sure the ends are secure) then washing, co-washing will be a sinch.

You literally don't need to detangle a thing.

Thanks Noni!

I agree with ilah about the washing in braids, though i still have to detangle afterwards. But it does help significantly.

op since you cowash every couple of days can you finger detangle (if you choose not to wash in braids) every time? f you don't want to cut detangle once a week instead?

Although washing with braids is a great detangling method, I felt as if my scalp wasn't as clean as when I wash it unbraided.

If you wash it unbraided you need to find a way to wash it going downward without bunching and tangling it, i've done it before but overall i think washing in braids is easier. Or you can make 4 braids and wash and detangle each section individually.

Doesn't seem like you were detangling nearly enough..it probably would have saved some of that hair. You're probably still having a better transition than I did though.Have you checked out people like Sep.2010 FOTM: Soon2bsl(member here) reggie? (idk about her detangling but she has good retention w/line of demarcation).

Last edited:
Although washing with braids is a great detangling method, I felt as if my scalp wasn't as clean as when I wash it unbraided.

Braid your hair in six sections/braids. When washing your hair, unbraid one of the braids, wash that section, rinse, rebraid that section and repeat this until all six sections are done.

Back