transitioning/natural 3c's...HELP THE N00B!

lilsparkle825

it feels like christmas...after lurking for about 3 weeks :blush: i bit the bullet...just from the preview i'm sure i won't regret it.

so i'm sure you don't wanna hear my life story...but maybe i can find a hair buddy who will :grin: i am a 3c (i think) and i started transitioning last july with a sew-in that ended up doing more harm than good since i didn't know how to take care of it...i have since grown back what i lost and MORE. now that i have discovered co-washing, DCing and the like, i'm working my way to SL unstretched.

if you guys don't mind, there are a few burning questions i'm hoping you can answer/direct me to a thread that addresses it....

1) i have some castor oil I bought for the OCM but all it did was break me out...what could it potentially do for my hair?
2) my mom is having a rough time with my 13 y/o sister's 4b hair, which is almost fully transitioned back to natural (we all started transitioning together). what are some protective styles we can look at other than braids that she will actually like? you know how kids are...
3) last one, i promise! is there ANYONE in virginia, preferably the 757, who can direct me to a salon that caters to natural hair? i'm willing to travel, but i've met some real nightmares lately, including the lady who did my mini-chop! i can't take it anymore!

thank you ladies <3

it feels like christmas...after lurking for about 3 weeks :blush: i bit the bullet...just from the preview i'm sure i won't regret it.

so i'm sure you don't wanna hear my life story...but maybe i can find a hair buddy who will :grin: i am a 3c (i think) and i started transitioning last july with a sew-in that ended up doing more harm than good since i didn't know how to take care of it...i have since grown back what i lost and MORE. now that i have discovered co-washing, DCing and the like, i'm working my way to SL unstretched.

if you guys don't mind, there are a few burning questions i'm hoping you can answer/direct me to a thread that addresses it....

1) i have some castor oil I bought for the OCM but all it did was break me out...what could it potentially do for my hair?
2) my mom is having a rough time with my 13 y/o sister's 4b hair, which is almost fully transitioned back to natural (we all started transitioning together). what are some protective styles we can look at other than braids that she will actually like? you know how kids are...
3) last one, i promise! is there ANYONE in virginia, preferably the 757, who can direct me to a salon that caters to natural hair? i'm willing to travel, but i've met some real nightmares lately, including the lady who did my mini-chop! i can't take it anymore!

thank you ladies <3

good luck on your journey!! :grin:

so.. castor oil.. well if it broke out your face.. then i dont think that you should put it on your scalp and only use it with styles that dont involve your hair touching your face when you do wear it.. as far as benefits, i got this on the net "On the hair, castor oil works to coat the hair shaft and smooth the cuticle layer, sealing in moisture and leaving the hair feeling soft and silky. It is more easily absorbed by the hair, allowing for deeper penetration into the hair shaft."
so i suggest using this after you moisturize, or even after you come out of the shower soaking wet.
as for protective styles, theres braids, two or three stand twists, coils, and even tree braids..

im sure some other ladies will chime in..:grin:
HTH..

Back