Transitioning/Breakage Issues. help!!

LivingDol1

I just took out the braids I've been wearing for 8 weeks. I haven't relaxed my hair since march 2010. I don't know if I want to relax since I have come so far.

I'm having texture issues though.... My hair is past APL. maybe 1/3 of my hair is new growth. The hair at the nape is the straightest.... Nice coils, maybe 3B/C ish. The hair at the front and sides has tighter curls but soft... Not as soft as the nape. The crown is the worst. The hair at the center of my scalp is coarser, and has always been consistently drier. Tight curls. 4A/B. I have noticed while taking out my braids that the hair there is 3" or 4" shorter than than the hair on the sides or the hair at the nape.

I used to blow dry my hair and that part was always the most difficult. I also wear my air dried bun in the center, which may have also contributed to breakage? That area tangles easier.

What are my options? When i see that the coarsest part is breaking, I'm tempted to just get my hair relaxed so that it is closer to being one texture. But I like seeing my natural texture vs the straight ends and I would like to just keep growing it out.... Not sure what will be healthier in the long run. Is there anything I can do for the hair at the crown so that I can reduce breakage?

I'm not into big chops or short hair for that matter. Cutting is not an option. I also don't want to spend loads of time on my hair... I'm trying to not let a hair routine suck up my life.

Last edited:
Hopefully some of the ladies currently transitioning can help you. I would like to suggest you try a creamy moisturizer followed by GVP Leave In Treatment (Compares to Redken Extreme Anti-Snap), especially in the "problem" area.:yep: Hopefully this can help reduce/stop the breakage.

SBS-264105

Good luck!

ETA: You can find this product at Sally's.

Last edited:
Try oil rinsing, it'll make detangling much easier and help reduce breakage. :yep:

My crown is the most coarse section as well and I alwaysalwaysalways use loads more conditioner/oil in that area to make it happy. :)

Oil rinsing could help sure. It sounds like you have some moisture, protein problems.

What products would you normally use? Start by working with what you already have.

What you are describing is to be expected. Everyone has different textures in their head. Treat your entire head according to your worst trouble area. So since the coarseness is giving your the biggest problem - start there.

Divide your hair in smaller sections.
Slather on your best conditioner - yes on dry hair.
Plait each section as you go. I'm not talking about 4 parts.
*Try making a part from ear to ear across the top of your head - or where ever your headband would rest.
*Make another part from ear to ear across the back of your head - just above where your bone sticks out or if you were to clasp your hands behind your head.
*Make 3 sections in the front and another three across the top. The back make it two.

Don't worry about detangling here. Just use your best DC - hopefully it will have some protein in it.

Leave it on for 30 mins and then go back to each section, unbraid and slowly attempt to detangle with a shower comb. You may need to take frequent breaks. After detangling each section, braid it again.

After you're done with the entire head:
At the sink, unbraid a section and rinse under water. Rinse well. Now using Tiffer's suggestion, add some oil to the section and rebraid.

*Follow the same step for the entire head. -unbraid, rinse, oil, rebraid

When your finished, run warm water through the whole head.

That's it.

You don't want to use a heavy oil, and you don't need alot for each section.

HTH.

Last edited:
nexxus emergencee(reconstructor) then moisturizing deep condish w/ a lil oil(like neutrogena triple moisture) followed by moisturize and seal reggie. You can also try oil rinsing as mentioned before. I say all this to cover all your protein/moisture bases. I normally use emergenee for an hour then dc overnight.

ETA: do this is sections like mentioned above too. Makes things alot easier, atleast for me.

Last edited:
I'm currently 15 months post (creeping up on 16 :grin:). I also have different textures on my head. If I had to simplify things I'd say that I'm a 4a/3c mix.

The two things that have made my transition easier are Joico products and washing in braids.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm sure I have moisture/protein issues. When I took out my braids, washed d/ced and air dried my hair, the ends felt dry this morning. Roots felt great. I actually just got back from the salon. I needed a trim really badly and just wanted to see how my hair handles the harsh humidity in a straight style. Still convinced to not relax it! I will deal with the coarse issue. My hair is actually more on the fine side than the coarse side.

Products I use are aphogee deep moisturizing shampoo, Giovanni tea tree oil shampoo, aphogee ph balancing moisturizer, roux moisture recovery, Giovanni smooth and silk deep conditioner, Giovanni direct leave in, coconut oil... I will try a reconstructor later on.

Thanks ladies!

is there something to the crown being the most coarse? so many of us seem to have this problem. when i'm twisting or washing my hair i dread having to do the crown because it is so ****ing dry and breakage prone not to mention shorter than the rest.

Dealing with 2 textures period is difficult. Since chopping is a no go, how opposed are you to wearing braids to completely transition out?

I was permed one year and wore braids for about 9 months to grow my hair out. Didn't have to deal with two textures or worry about every day manipulation possibly breaking my hair.

Dealing with 2 textures period is difficult. Since chopping is a no go, how opposed are you to wearing braids to completely transition out?

I was permed one year and wore braids for about 9 months to grow my hair out. Didn't have to deal with two textures or worry about every day manipulation possibly breaking my hair.

Initially, I wanted to take out my braids and then get long twists installed as soon as possible after. I'm wondering if wearing braids is the reason why my ends are so dry. I wore the last set for 9 weeks. I washed every week or 10 days. Sometimes I just wet the hair. I'd spray a leave in or oil my scalp when I remembered. Not sure how to take care of my ends while braided. If anyone has suggestions, please tell me. Maybe I could get twists and keep them in for 6 weeks at a time instead of 9. I might get twists later but right now I am loving my hair and the lightness on my head!

I used to wear braids back to back for years. I did have amazing length(and I relaxed all of that hair) when I took them out but had dryness issues at the ends...

Oh and I watched Hair Crush's twist out tutorial. If I could master twisting my natural hair, maybe I could wear that style. It would be at least 18 months before I could reach her length! (and I'd never have that thickness!!) but I think sectioning my hair more rather than gathering it all at the crown when wet might be a big help to the crown problem.

Back