Transitioning and DRYNESS (PLEASE HELP ME!)

NewYorkgyrl

I am talking extreme dryness the worst that my hair has ever been. Let me explain how dry it is (my camera is not working):

It is so dry that the ends of my hair look dry brittle and fried and I do not use heat (maybe ONCE every 5 weeks).
The roots get dry the next day after a co-wash or regular wash. It is so dry that when I part my hair I have to almost pull my hair apart to get a part. So dry that if I use the end of a rat tail comb to part I can hear the sound "crunch".

I have tried everything. This is my regimine: (it is a ever changing thing I am still trying to find what work)
***I wash my hair in 4 sections***

Amla oil on hair and castor oil on scalp: OVERNIGHT
Pre-poo with any conditioner, olive oil, and honey (1 hour)
Shampoo (1x a week): Elucence Poo (tried for the first time last week and I am sooo in love with it)
Protein: GPB (1x a month Emergency or I will use the Elucence MRT-just bought this)
Condioner: Elucence or Humecto

I detangle my hair in the shower and use Paul Mitchell the Detangler if I need assistance. I just recently used the k Cutter comb (a very big help)

I part my hair and apply MTG (when I remember) if I am still having detangling issues I use Giovanni Direct
I then apply a little conditioner as leave in (Elucence) and some WGO and Carols Daughter Hair butter to my new growth

i airdry my hair in single braids, twists or a bun. It feels so nice and soft during this time and then........................................
THE BEAST COMES OUT. The next day my hair is soooooo hard and brittle.

***I co-wash every other day only because I don't know what else to do
about retaining moisture***

What am I doing wrong. What other moistureizer should I use? I have tried S-curl and Sta So Fro but I usually apply this at the time that it is really hard. What can I do to just prevent my hair from getting in the extremely dry state all together?
(I am thinking about trying the Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Leave in) Moisturizer.

Please help me!!!!!!!

At some point, I figured out that certain oils were making my hair feel really dry. Once I stopped using them, the problem ceased. Just my experience. Lots of people use them with no problem.

Cichelle said:
At some point, I figured out that certain oils were making my hair feel really dry. Once I stopped using them, the problem ceased. Just my experience. Lots of people use them with no problem.

So what are you using on your ends to prevent dryness?

I've been through the same thing with both natural and texturized hair.
During the cold months, it's much worse and sometimes I opt to keep it braided and spritz daily with african royale daily doctor/water.

But the problem has lessened recently. I find that hot oil treatments don't do too much for my hair. Olive oil at times dries it o ut. But adding honey to conditioners, deep conditioners, and leave-ins does. It is very moisturizing. When I sit under a dryer for deep conditioning once a week(right now I'm using neutrogena triple moisture hair mask, love it!) I don't stay there too long. The heat starts to dry it out after a while. I might use heat 5-20 minutes and if I want to, I leave the deep conditioner on without heat.
I use a moisturizing shampoo (right now neutrogena triple moisture shampoo, love that too!) and don't shampoo too often, once a week at most if I'm using a lot of styling products. Other times I'll do conditioner washes if I wash in between.

The only product to date that I have found that actually keeps my hair soft AFTER it has dried is s-curl. It didn't work for me for awhile and I think that it's because I needed to clarify more often. I'm hoping it doesn't stop working again. Don't forget to clarify and remove product build up because that's the only way moisture will get through. But I use s curl mixed with water usually because it's really thick while my hair has been towel dried some (not on dripping wet hair so that the moisture can penetrate the hair better) and lately it has been drying soft which is miraculous for me. I too am used to the touchably soft and luscious while damp, crunchy when dry. Lol.

Overall for me these are the best products for moisture that I've tried:

s curl (use when damp, it seems to like both of my hair textures)
african royal daily doctor (I may use some of this if my hair needs more moisture after dry and I LOVE it for my braids or cornrows which I wear often)
elasta qp recovery (great on dry hair for moisture, softness, and shine. sometimes i use it to seal in moisture since it has natural oils)

and of course a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner

Products with glycerin I only use if I'm wearing a style without heat (not for flat ironing) because I find they prevent hair straightening.
I'm still looking for a good moisturizer for when I wish to flat iron later. I might stick with elasta qp.

Anyway sorry this is extremely long! Lol. Hope something helps you. wish you the best!

JCoily said:
Are you clarifying at all? The dryness may be due to product build up.

I try to clarify every other week. I tried ACV rinses a couple times but that made my hair hard each and every time. (And I used the right measurements) Before that i was using Aloe Rid.

I just got the Elucence Clarifying poo so I will be using that now.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I have been trying to put Elasta QP Mango Butter on my ends when I see that it is getting dry but it does not seem to help.

I'm 8 months post relaxer and I have a similar problem. Mine looks dry and brittle, but isn't exactly as dry as it looks. I have tried everything and haven't found anything to bring my hair back to life. I bought mango butter last week and it isn't doing much for me either. I know that my hair type is 4z.

NewYorkgyrl said:
I am talking extreme dryness the worst that my hair has ever been. Let me explain how dry it is (my camera is not working):

It is so dry that the ends of my hair look dry brittle and fried and I do not use heat (maybe ONCE every 5 weeks).
The roots get dry the next day after a co-wash or regular wash. It is so dry that when I part my hair I have to almost pull my hair apart to get a part. So dry that if I use the end of a rat tail comb to part I can hear the sound "crunch".

I have tried everything. This is my regimine: (it is a ever changing thing I am still trying to find what work)
***I wash my hair in 4 sections***

Amla oil on hair and castor oil on scalp: OVERNIGHT
Pre-poo with any conditioner, olive oil, and honey (1 hour)
Shampoo (1x a week): Elucence Poo (tried for the first time last week and I am sooo in love with it)
Protein: GPB (1x a month Emergency or I will use the Elucence MRT-just bought this)
Condioner: Elucence or Humecto

I detangle my hair in the shower and use Paul Mitchell the Detangler if I need assistance. I just recently used the k Cutter comb (a very big help)

I part my hair and apply MTG (when I remember) if I am still having detangling issues I use Giovanni Direct
I then apply a little conditioner as leave in (Elucence) and some WGO and Carols Daughter Hair butter to my new growth

i airdry my hair in single braids, twists or a bun. It feels so nice and soft during this time and then........................................
THE BEAST COMES OUT. The next day my hair is soooooo hard and brittle.

***I co-wash every other day only because I don't know what else to do
about retaining moisture***

What am I doing wrong. What other moistureizer should I use? I have tried S-curl and Sta So Fro but I usually apply this at the time that it is really hard. What can I do to just prevent my hair from getting in the extremely dry state all together?
(I am thinking about trying the Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Leave in) Moisturizer.

Please help me!!!!!!!

sorry to hear about your hair. have you tried pinning it up to protect the ends? i've had pretty good success with wgo. i put it throughout my entire head

NewYorkgyrl said:
I try to clarify every other week. I tried ACV rinses a couple times but that made my hair hard each and every time. (And I used the right measurements) Before that i was using Aloe Rid.

I'm with JCoily. Sounds like a textbook case of hard water/product buildup. I think the clarifying poos work best when used daily and regularly. You might have to use it every poo for a week or more to see results. I use ION Purifying Treatment from Sally's BS and the results are pretty immediate. Sometimes I have to use it twice.

Oh, and I think ACV rinses are used to acidify (to treat porosity) not clarify hair. At least that's what I use them for

Last edited:
SweetCaramel1 said:
sorry to hear about your hair. have you tried pinning it up to protect the ends? i've had pretty good success with wgo. i put it throughout my entire head

I only wear my hair straight for one week every five weeks. The other weeks I will wear a braid out, bun, or attampt a baggie with a bun cover. Basically my ends are protected most of the time.

sareca said:
I'm with JCoily. Sounds like a textbook case of hard water/product buildup. I think the clarifying poos work best when used daily and regularly. You might have to use it every poo for a week or more to see results. I use ION Purifying Treatment from Sally's BS and the results are pretty immediate. Sometimes I have to use it twice.

I have a shower filter that is attached to my shower head (a really expensive one too) I don't think I have hard water

NewYorkgyrl said:
I have a shower filter that is attached to my shower head (a really expensive one too) I don't think I have hard water
I have one of those too. Those don't soften hard water. Only whole house filters can soften water. They keep the chlorine and other chemical out, but not the calicum that makes the water hard. I searched for a shower mounted water softener for months before the lady at Wholefoods told me it doesn't exist. So, I'm just going to spend the $600 to get the whole house filter (sigh). The things I do for my hair. :look:

sareca said:
I have one of those too. Those don't soften hard water. Only whole house filters can soften water. They keep the chlorine and other chemical out, but not the calicum that makes the water hard. I searched for a shower mounted water softener for months before the lady at Wholefoods told me it doesn't exist. So, I'm just going to spend the $600 to get the whole house filter (sigh). The things I do for my hair. :look:

I live in an apartment so that is jsut not going to happen. You need to be able to have your own house to do that. (I guess most people I know in NYC can't do it LOL)
My mother has this in her house. But then again I feel like NYC area water is better. I am in Philly right now and I can tell the difference in the water.

Thanks for giving me the info but there is nothing I can do about that if I live in an apartment. Any other suggestions?

NewYorkgyrl said:
I live in an apartment so that is jsut not going to happen. You need to be able to have your own house to do that. (I guess most people I know in NYC can't do it LOL)
My mother has this in her house. But then again I feel like NYC area water is better. I am in Philly right now and I can tell the difference in the water.

Thanks for giving me the info but there is nothing I can do about that if I live in an apartment. Any other suggestions?

Nope, nothing else works for me when my hair's brittle. Good luck.

Last edited:
I dont have an answer but want u to know I could have written your post. Im going thru the exact same thing(Im almost 6 months post relaxer), and sometimes it seems the more products I use to try to soften it, the dryer it feels one it soaks it up and dries. Im going to try clarifying and hopefully that will help me since I havent done that in a long time.

Please keep the responses coming ladies! Crunchy hair is NOT cute! :lol:

I had the same problem. I love MTG but it was making my hair dry when I used it on dry hair, on wet hair it was fine. Also, do you oil your hair while wet? That made a big improvement for me - water + castor oil is the bomb. It doesn't weigh my hair down. Leaves it silky soft with movement but not dry.

When I am more than 4 weeks post, I use Doo Gro's Oil moisturizer. My NG loves this.

HHG!

The only thing I can think of is maybe limit shampooing your hair only when you need to clarify, and limit the amount of products you put in your hair. Herbal Essences makes a really good clarifying shampoo that gets the hair clean without stripping or tangling it and drying it out. I've also been using the Vo5 Hydrator conditioner to co wash my hair for a week now and it has replaced a lot of moisture.

MTG made my hair very dry too -- whether I used it on wet or dry. I now only use on the night before I wash and even then I try to keep on my scalp and away from the ends of my hair.

NewYorkgyrl said:

Aloe Rid didn't do anything at all to clarify my hair, but try the Elucence and see if it helps. Also as I re-read your regimen, you may want to stop using conditioner as a leave in. I believe there was a thread about how people who were doing that were having problems.

If I run across the thread I will bump it for you.

Back