Transitioning and Dominican Salons

mscounselor

I've read previous posts about people who were transitioning who ocassionally tried a dominican salon. I would like to know how the results were in the long run. I seriously considering getting a blow out, and now that I was given options in Orlando, I'm ready to see what happens. I need a trim as well. :grin:
TIA

I love my blowouts. My hair comes out silky, bouncy and full. The only drawback is that my ends can't take the heat. My cousin gets them every week and her hair is healthy and bra strap length.

I really want to try one but i am sooo scared because I'm afraid that the stylist will not take the time to detangle the hair before running the brush thru it. Which will produce major breakage.... And I'd be pissed off if some chick try to tell me that I NEED to get a relaxer in my hair...it's like the purpose of the blowout is to smoothe your hair so it'll look like a relaxer. So why do they always try to force us to get a relaxer just cause our hair aint bone straight??? :ohwell:

I got a blowout at 6 months post relaxer and I loved the results. My hair looked and felt as though I just had a relaxer, that's how straight they the roots. Some people have a problem with the heat they use but it didn't bother me. I think she didn't get the noozle that close to my scalp. I would get one now but it's kinda hot now and i'm afraid of my hair reverting just after getting it done. Overall I had a good experience.

chocolate01 said:
I got a blowout at 6 months post relaxer and I loved the results. My hair looked and felt as though I just had a relaxer, that's how straight they the roots. Some people have a problem with the heat they use but it didn't bother me. I think she didn't get the noozle that close to my scalp. I would get one now but it's kinda hot now and i'm afraid of my hair reverting just after getting it done. Overall I had a good experience.
I was just going to mention this.
I sweat a lot and even WITH a relaxer, I frizz up, so when I wash/rollerset & blow, I do pin-curls. It's pointless (IMO) to fight the elements, ya know?

I transitioned years ago and before I started wearing twists I got blowouts all the time. I'm even getting them now. For me, it's a great alternative to the hot comb and it looks much better. They always use a good detangler and softening conditioner. Then they part my hair into about 6 sections and use the small rat tail comb to section and comb my hair for the rollers. Once my hair is dry they remove the rollers and blow it out. It works out great for me, but I do wonder about the heat.

I had a bad experience at the first salon I went to because they were like, "mami, you need a relaxer." I turned right around on my heels and headed for another salon. Now where I go, they are so nice and they actually enjoy doing my hair. It's like some kind of challenge to them I think. After conditioning under the dryer for 20 minutes, they put in a leave in like salerm 21 or alter ego, then blowdry with a paddle brush layer by layer starting at the nape. I insist that they keep the heat down. My hair comes out pocohantas straight with no damage.

I've never had one as a natural. I got a great blowout when I was 3 months post relaxer but the heat was like :eek:

I plan on trying it again once I get to be 6 months post relaxer. When I do get them I only plan on doing it occasionally. As long as you're comfortable with the heat and the stylist, I think the damage will be minimal if not non-existant.

Back