Transitioners: What length are you?

itismehmmkay

It appears that it's easier to transition w/ longer hair as hair can neatly be put into a bun and/or pony-tail while it grows out.

Are there any transitioners, however, who are shorter than shoulder length?

I'm about ear-length and I'm transitioning. I just had to get some braids because I didn't know what to do with my hair and I got tired of wearing wigs!
I think that it would be difficult to style otherwise.

I'm about shoulder length and I've been wearing twist-outs and puffs in between braids. If my hair was shorter, I think I'd keep it in braids until it grew out.

I was arm pit length when I first started transitioning. I cut it to shoulder length and have been trying to trim a little bit every two months since then.

My hair was chin length when I started transitioning. I wore braids. I didn't want to deal with the two textures of hair.

My hair is above ear length in the front and is growing from being shaved off in the back. So basically, the back is half natural and the front is relaxed. The two texture's don't really bother me though.

Well I did a cut...so Im at neck level...I took off about 4 or so inches. I would show pics but I'm just too tired to try...LOL

When I first started and was transitioning my hair was right below my shirt collar. I wore it in a pony all the time, but I have to wear a hat all the time and the wear and tear of taking it off and putting it back on was breaking off my hair. I was walking around looking picky. And when I got off work, I did not want to do anything with my hair so I was looking even worse. I could not walk around like that, especially being married! So I cut it all off!

B_Phlyy said:
My hair is above ear length in the front and is growing from being shaved off in the back. So basically, the back is half natural and the front is relaxed. The two texture's don't really bother me though.

My hair is the same as yours. 1/2 relaxed and 1/2 natural. I accidentally found a way to wash n go w pantene hydration curls. I can't braid or twist, so this gives me a look of a curly rollerset, even the strait relaxed front and sides. The extra liso that is supposed to make the hair strait actually makes mine curlier.:lol: This happens only w/ these 2 products, but not w. I C gel w sparkelites. I just spritz w/ water, apply product, shake my head, and go.:)

I just gave myself another 1.5 inch trim, so I would say that my hair is now right above shoulder length. It is harder to transition with shorter hair, but my bun will make it work. Rollersets are a good way to transition also, but I haven't been wearing them too often lately because I've been working out a few times a week.

itismehmmkay said:
It appears that it's easier to transition w/ longer hair as hair can neatly be put into a bun and/or pony-tail while it grows out.

Are there any transitioners, however, who are shorter than shoulder length?
No, I'm below bra strap. I chopped from waist length to above brastrap in August. I'm now back to below bra strap. Either way I don't wear it in buns or ponytails anymore. I probably won't wear styles like that until I'm about 75% natural. I wear braids, interlocks, twists, etc.

My hair is 2.5"-3" from MBL.
Transitioning with long hair can definitely be plus, long hair offers more styling options which can help make the transition process a bit easier.

If you have at least 4-5 inches of hair you could do a braid out, twist out, rod set, roller set etc...You just have experiement to see what works best for you. Good luck with your transition itismehmmkay. :)

http://www.motowngirl.com/how_to.php

Back