Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
curlilocs said:
I just started transitioning and I share your pain. My hair isn't super long but I've worked hard to maintain the length I have and I just don't want to let it go yet! This is a great thread and it's shown me that it's possible to transition without the BC.

I plan to get a trim every 10 weeks. For some reason when I get a hair cut it just stimulates the roots and my hair will grow. I know a few people who can testify to that. It might work for you too since your hair has length! Good luck!!!
Thanks. How long have you been transitioning?

MissJ said:
Thanks. How long have you been transitioning?

I'm only 9 weeks post relaxer. I got touch ups every 12 weeks so I'm not really having to deal with too much texture difference right now. By week 13 I'll be insane!

Tonya said:
Do you ladies find that your textures is different in different places in your head?

Yes!!! The back is near the crown is very wavy at the root! The front is straighter!

ayanapooh said:
Lee,

I actually had the same problem a while back. My sides were so fuzzy, they wouldn't lay down for anything! The ONLY thing I found to work is this stuff called S Curl 360 Style Wave Control Pomade. It's thick like a grease, but it emulsifies in your hand and really lays those sides down. I use it after my CO wash, while my hair is still wet. A combo of Elasta QP mango butter, this, and a little Ampro Clear Ice gel works wonders for my hair!!! You can pick some up at Walgreen's, and it's not expensive at all! Let me know how it works if you decide to get some. ;)

103091.gif

Thank you Ayanapooh for the recommendation, I will try this as soon as I find it and I will update you.

I'd like to join! I am new to the site and also new to transitioning. Thanks to Bubblns album, I felt that there was hope for me[(thanks BTW). I have no regime and I am currently looking. I just bought CON shampoo and I have cholesterol as my leave in. Any suggestions for making this process better?

mscounselor said:
I'd like to join! I am new to the site and also new to transitioning. Thanks to Bubblns album, I felt that there was hope for me[(thanks BTW). I have no regime and I am currently looking. I just bought CON shampoo and I have cholesterol as my leave in. Any suggestions for making this process better?

Hey, welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision. I have been transitioning for 9 months now so i'll tell you what has helped me. The first thing I would say is set a goal for how long you want to transition. You may not make it to that goal (some people chop before) but for me it helps to keep me motivated like im working toward something. Second, experiment with different styles that will help you through you transition. I don't know how long you usually waited to touch up before, but up until that point it should be easy, it's after you pass that point that it gets hard. For me I have 3 simple styles that have helped get me this far..braidout, flexi rod sets, and the always handy ponytail. I rocked flexi rod sets for about 2 months (months 4-6) of my transition. The style is easy and last about a week. Same goes for the braidout, I rocked that all last month. Some people prefer braids but I prefer to deal with my hair, I feel like it will help me when im fully natural. Third, remember to moisturize, especially where your two textures meet. Your hair at that point is most prone to breakage so it should be treated with kid gloves. Fourth, patience. Transitioning is hard and it can get discouraging but we are all here to help and offer advice and support. I'm sure everyone else will add on anything I left out but I hope that helps.

Hi Transitioners :wave:,

I finally decided to take a peek at this thread and I am so excited for all of you. I bc'd just 6 or 7 weeks after my last relaxer (been natural for 3 months now) but my daughter is transitioning, her last relaxer was just before Thanksgiving, so she is like 5 1/2 months post relaxer.

At first it was easy then for a month or so it was really hard, her hair would become massively tangled whenever I washed it. Yesterday I gave her a big trim, 2 to 3 inches, shampooed with CON poo (green label) and conditioned with Dove Intense moisture. I then used Kids organics shea butter detangling moisturizing hair lotion and Hot six oil to braid her hair in about 10 braids. Her hair was easy to comb and looks sooo pretty. It finally looks more natural than not. My goal is for her to be completely natural by September so she can start the new school year off with a fresh start (3 1/2 months to go!). I will poo and condition on a weekly basis and braid it.

Sometimes it's hard though because I'm taking care of my natural hair, one daughter's transitioning hair and another daughter's relaxed, shoulder-length hair--sometimes I just get tired of doing hair! But I don't trust most hair dressers. Anywho, just wanted to say hi, wish ya'll good luck and share my story.

Thanks for the information! I usually waited 6 weeks to relax so I just hit that mark last week. I bought a flat iron and played with a piece of my hair and realized I have some options for the duration. I did bantu knots and that looked really pretty. I am familiar with twist outs as I've done them before as well. I set a goal for my long transition and I have increased my moisturizing routine. I also told everyone in my life for support and even my boyfriend said oh ok. The braids are a two month thing. I agree with learning to deal with natural hair so I'm just doing it for summer school(I'm in grad school).
Thanks again for the information.

mscounselor said:

Welcome to the site :clapping: I am a new transitioner and my last relaxer was 03/05 as well. Like you I don't have much of a routine, I just wanted to say hello and good luck with your decision!

curlilocs said:

Welcome to the site :clapping: I am a new transitioner and my last relaxer was 03/05 as well. Like you I don't have much of a routine, I just wanted to say hello and good luck with your decision!

Thanks...its nice to know someone in the same boat as me. :) My two best friends are 100% natural. One did braids and the other a BC. I hate to say it but they dont understand me since I am doing a long transition and I dont do braids alot. :ohwell:
Good luck to you and let me know if you find a good regime.

Thanks for starting this thread. It keeps inspiring me to keep going and not look back at the relaxers! :p

Ya'll thoughts of relaxing have been creeping into my head, but I am adamant about going natural! I feel better knowing my hair and scalp are not going to be exposed to chemicals ever again. That keeps me going. :)

I had those thoughts too around the time I was usually due for a touch up. I just telling myself that I want to do this and remembered how mad I was the last time I tried and failed. It'll pass especially as time goes on.

I am 4 months post relaxer now and it's getting hard but i'm determined to hang in there!

I cut off 2 inches of hair and I'm doing the no-heat challenge for the summer.

Its gets easier...hang in there. I am 14 months and counting. The key is to find a good conditioner (deep and leave in) and learn to set your hair (rollersets, braidouts, etc), then leave it alone! I finally love my hair and I'm so happy that I'm giving natural hair a chance. People tell me everyday how exotic I look and it must be because of the hair because they never said this before!

I agree with caligirl. I found the hardest time for me was around the time I would usually get a touch up. After I got past that it's been a lot easier. I had some problems in April but I took my time and figured out what my hair needed (more moisture) so I started doing CW 2-3 times a week. Once I got past that it gave me more confidence that I can handle anything else that comes up

@ Caligirl: how have you been wearing your hair? And if you don't mind sharing your routine, products etc. I'm on the hunt for a new shampoo so I would like to see what others are using.

I am coming up on my 4th month of transitioning. I think that I have been really fortunate because I'm not really having breakage issues. What's killing me is blending the textures. At this point my braid outs are a joke - I have frizz outs! :spinning: My styling consists of pulling my hair up into a high ponytail slap some mango butter on the ends, baggie it up and throw a ponytail on top.

hi yall..i will be joining the trasition thread, b/c i am officially trasitioning...yeah for me...lol..i am very excited to join u guys..i have beed weaving and braiding for about 6 mos..and my last relaxer was about 4 mos ago..so i may have about 2 inches of NG..and i am very excited to do the big chop..i was expecting to chop off all my relaxed ends, but looking at it, i dont think it will be possible b/c i still need enough hair to braid and weave with (thats how i will be transing by the way), so i plan on leaving maybe a 1/2 inch of relaxer..i will be doing this at the end of the month ..and posting pics then as well..so i look forward to getting tips from u guys...

thnx

Good Morning ladies!

Thanks, Bubbln, for this thread! Also thanks all you ladies who have contributed with your advice and encouragement.

I am currently 17 weeks(4 months) post relaxer. This is the farthest I've ever gone. I'm transitioning with no chop, trim or anything like that.

I'm not having any problems at this time. In fact, I've found that I'm retaining length....:yay: me! Glory Halleu!

So far what has worked for me on wash days is doing EVERYTHING in sections. I don't have any tangle issues(as of yet) with dry hair. Usually, if I need to comb it out from say Bantu knots or something I'll spritz it with a spray bottle of water or my moisture mix. For the most part I just part with the tail of a rattail comb.

When preparing for wash day I section in fours and ponytail them. I then rinse my hair while in ponytails. I take one section down at a time to add my prepoo, then put back in ponytails. Then I rinse. I then spray my moo poo(c-cow-c fusion method) while in ponytails and scrub with the pads of my fingers. The ponytails loosen up but they don't come loose. It's a glorified Crown and Glory Method of washing. I didn't even know it! Sometimes I take the ponytails down and use a scalp scrubber(in my album) to stimulate and exfoliate my scalp. I rinse the loosen ponytails. Deep condition in four ponytails, then style or blowdry....in four ponytails. I have lost half the hair I usually lose in detangling! The ponytails seem to 'seperate' the ng from the relaxed ends.

I've notice too, that since I've stopped relaxing, I've not shedd as much hair. I was a CONSTANT shedder.....I am so excited about my natural hair!

Styles that have helped me get through:

Pincurls.
Rollers sets with size small(orange, yellow or black) magnetic rollers.(I
haven't tried my usual red rollers with the clips yet though)
Slicked back ponytail with a baggie.(helped in retaining length)
Bantu knots.
Sylver2's scarf method and a few rollers.
Lastly, an occasional blowdry and/or flat iron.

I just let my natural hair do it's thing. I try not to mask or hide it too much; that will drive me crazy and then I'll become a heat freak. :nono: I only use direct heat to see length and to change up on styles(for my dh).

Just my two cents!

Last edited:
Congrats on your upcoming BC Curilocs!! Make sure to post pics if you can.

@Onepraying: sounds like you have a good handle on things. I wish I would have started washing in sections earlier. I just started at 9 months into my transition!! I checked out your album and I love your hair!! Good luck on the rest of your journey.

new transitioner here!! im about 3 or 4 weeks post relaxer. i plan to transition for about a year and if i start having problems with the different textures before then, i wont think twice about doing the BC. i wash thrice or twice a weeks. it depends on how dry my hair feels. i moisturise daily and seal in moisture with oils. i will be tossing my old jar of relaxer in the trash today. err...ive been doing conditioner washes for a loooong time. and i wash only when i have to clarify with suave clarifying. i always have my hair in a ponytail since im not going to summer school right now. when school starts, ill do bantu knot sets, braidouts and wash and go. and i repeat, when these two textures start clashing, i wont think twice about cutting off the relaxed part of my hair. LOL. i just dont have the patience for hair problems. I wish evryone good luck with their transitioning!!! thanks Bubbln for this thread! :D And oh, the last time i relaxed, it was underprocessed so it looks like its texturised. so i guess ill be battling with 3 textures. also, what is scab hair? :confused:

Back