Transitioners: How to Recognize Heat Damage vs. Remaining Relaxer?

Supervixen

I've been transitioning for 3 years, and for a while I had my hair pressed weekly. Well, now I'm wondering how do I recognize heat damage that can make hair straight permanently vs. there just still being relaxer left?

Thanks!

Three years :notworthy I'm going on two and I thought I was doin the damn thang lol. I'm subscribing cuz I wanna know too.

i have no idea. i transitioned for about 11 months and i flat ironed weekly with 2 heat protectants. when i chopped my hair off the bang area was stick straight all the way to the root. i assumed it was heat damage but the rest of my har isnt like that and i keep hearing about scap hair so i was wondering if that hair was scab hair. i dont know but i have been completely natural for 5 months and the front bang area just started showing my curl pattern growing from the roots like 2 months ago.

Ladies, I did the bc on 4 May, I'm talking dark cesear. I was surprised by my curls on top; however, I had my hair pressed and curled for my retirement ceremony. Lo and behold, I've noticed straight hair on top. I hated it and cut it out this morning. I now have to pat it down to have an even shape, but those straight hairs are gone. So that is heat damage when a few strands are straight and the rest of your hair is curly, in particular if you've done the bc.

India

Hmm, IMO, if you've been transitioning for 3 years and have used heat weekly, chances are, it's probably heat damage. It's hard to tell for sure - your hair could just be growing slowly. It might help to know how much of the ends are straight and to see a picture. But to me, it pretty much sounds like heat damage. I'm transitioning and this is my 15 month or so post relaxer and most of the relaxed hair is gone. I'm completely natural in the back. But have relaxed ends in the front and middle.

In terms of heat damage, I flat-ironed my hair a few weeks ago but was a bit reckless with one side of my head - I made several passes and ended up smelling my hair burning. Low and behold, I noticed that I have a bit of heat damage exactly where that happened. It isn't completely straight but the curl is much loser than the rest of my head.

HTH.

That is why I decided not to use anymore flat irons. I do intend to blow dry to roller set in the winter.:rolleyes:

Back