TRANSITIONERS, HOW LONG DID IT TAKE

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I want to try transition style practice, but my hair won't fully cooperate. My right side holds the style, but my left seems like it is more strait.:rolleyes: How long did it take for you to be able to do styles like twists in your hair. I am going to be 3 months post relaxer next Friday.:yep:

I just started doing braidouts at 21 weeks post. I refuse to do twists because the ends won't hold and i'd just look pathetic. I'm not gonna do twists or braids untill i'm fully natural.

Twist-outs nor Braid-outs are not an option for me :nono:

I have attempted both many times and they seem to only make matters worse for my transition. For some reason my transitioning hair hates to be in any kind of curly state, resulting in breakage and a crispy straw-like effect. So for now I stick to semi straight looks achieved with minimal heat (blow drying, air-dried roller sets....)

I still can't do a braidout at 8 months, because my new growth and relaxed ends look markedly different. At 3 months, I had just started doing my ponytail roller sets with much success because the majority of my hair was relaxed. The ponytail holders kept the roots straight enough for me to get a good, blended set.

If you still want to do a braid out, try rolling the ends on small rods or rollers to keep them in place.

I'm 17 months post and I can't do braids/twistouts.
My ends are nasty stringy and thin compared to
my new growth. Smh. My hair has been in kinky twists/braids/wigs
most of my transition.
The only style that looks good on my hair are bantu knots.

I started wearing braidouts/flat twistouts at 2 months post; up until then, I blow dryed and flatironed every 1 to 2 weeks, or (when feeling a bit lazy) did bantu knots on partially airdryed hair that I two strand twisted.
Starting at 2 months post, though, I haven't used much heat, making twist and curls and braid and curls (just twist/braidouts with hair curled on ends) necessary.
Two strand twists still don't hold for me (I'm 5 and a half months post) due to the relaxed ends, so if I want a twist style that stays, I flat twist (actually wearing a half flattwist/ half bun style now). this holds regardless of hair type; just be sure to roll the ends that hang.
hth

Lets see

1-3 months post I was doing ponytail rollersets. I suggest wrapping at night or setting on sponge/pillow rollers and finger styling in the morning.
I was also rocking a phony pony or half wig most days to cut down on manipulation. That was ok b/c my ng wasnt long enough to interfere too much with my straight styles.

3-6 months post I was mostly wearing a curlier textured phony pony and wearing braidouts (done on dry cornrows). That was it b/c my own hair wasn't long enough for a bun.

6-8 months post I was getting fed up. I starting wearing wigs. So one day I decided that since I'm already totally hiding my hair I should just bc and at 8 months I bc'd.

I don't remember, but I did flat twist outs with perm rods on the end pretty early on in my transition. They looked fine, but I also did them when I was completely relaxed with no problem. I also used flexi rod sets during my transition early on.

I don't do twists... but I did braidouts as early as 1.5 months post :yep:

Congrats on getting to 3 months post :grin:

What styles are you trying out?

I am finding what works for me at 4 months almost 5 months are bantu knots made with 2 strand twist and rod set using the gray rod rollers. My hair doesn't like braidouts and twist outs for noting in the world as least not yet.

Check out this youtube video. She also has one for bantu knots that was very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCivt4TEXIY

Last edited:

I have attempted both many times and they seem to only make matters worse for my transition. For some reason my transitioning hair hates to be in any kind of curly state, resulting in breakage and a crispy straw-like effect. So for now I stick to semi straight looks achieved with minimal heat (blow drying, air-dried roller sets....)

I TOTALLY AGREE!! I CAN PULL OFF A TWISTOUT FOR ABOUT A HALF DAY BEFORE BROOM CITY BEGINS!! dry will hold for me, but wet transitioning hair hates being in a curly state. Sigh...

For me, the more new growth I had, the worse braidouts looked because of the 2 textures. They would generally work best if I blew it out first before braiding.

Twists did not actually work for me until I was over a year into my transition.

OP, I think it depends more on the overall length of your hair than how much NG you have. The NG does determine how the style will look in the end and how well the hair cooperates in the process, though. I've done braidouts since I was relaxed, and on transitioning hair, they pretty much look a lot better, since there's more thickness and volume. I don't think I'll be able to do the twists until I'm 90-100% natural, since the ends would be too straight-looking before then.

I don't do twists... but I did braidouts as early as 1.5 months post :yep:

Congrats on getting to 3 months post :grin:

What styles are you trying out?
I was trying to practice twist styles. I am also attempting to learn how to braid. It seems I can only do one and the others look :rolleyes::nono:. I am trying to learn, anyway.:sad:

For me, the more new growth I had, the worse braidouts looked because of the 2 textures. They would generally work best if I blew it out first before braiding.

Twists did not actually work for me until I was over a year into my transition.

Mook, did braids work better at holding your texture? I have so much practicing to do.:perplexed

I tried my first braid out with noticeably different textures at 20 weeks post. It was okay, not great though. The braid out came out a little better at 28 weeks post with rollers on the ends.

I still have not tried two strand twists on my own hair, just with extensions.

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/

ETA: I did not include the braid out from 6 weeks post. I did not have noticeably different textures to deal with at that time.
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/braid-out-pictures/

Last edited:
I wasn't able to make twistouts or braidouts look good until right before I bc'd lol. But Flat twists looked good to me after 6 months post.

This is me completely, accept I never blow-dry. I am nearly 14 months post. Actually braid-outs look "ok" on my hair, but they only last a day or two and then it's dry tangled city. :nono: I stick to roller-sets for a curly textured look. Twist-outs are not even remotely an option because the ends of my hair are sooo straight they won't hold a twist for anything.

Back