Transitioner tips

jshor09

Any words of wisdom or tips to make my transition smooth as possible. I know you need patience and about S curl to soften new growth. I have a good support system as well. I threw away my relaxer so I'm ready any tips to offer me?

Jackie

SHEA BUTTER AND GLYCERIN!!!!! *uh hum* sorry lol. I tried the scurl but my hair was kinda chalky after. I only started transitioning about 3 weeks ago but I've been on easter vacation so I've had loads of time for trial and error with my little inch of new growth :) I've been co-washing every other day - again too much time on my hands - just for the fun of it. You can check out that million thread long transitioners support thread, thats got some good tips too HTH

I'm not transitioning, however these are the tips i followed when i was transitioing over a year.

1. Eat healthy/take supplements for healthy growth (i didn't do this in the beginning and ended up with vey brittle dry hair)
2. Wash hair in sections to avoid breakage
3. Use a widetooth comb when detangling hair
4. Wear protective styles, i wore lots of braids/cornrows styles see www.growafrohairlong.com on instruction on how to care for braids
5. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise, the ones i used were homemade sprays, coconut oil, shea butter

I'm sure someone else could add more to this list

I made up my own homemade spritz thanks to Cheleigh's advice. I also made a cream for my hair. I also co wash everyday and I don't use shampoo with sulfates. I take vitamins and try to eat healthy and drink water. I use a wide tooth comb after I wash. I use different oils and butters like shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.

Buy a denman brush. It works well for keeping your hair from matting and it blends the two textures nicely.

Back