Touch up in a week.. How to prepare??

kizzylonghair

Ladies,

Relaxing my hair this Friday. How should I prepare.

Shall I do an intense protein- Emergence?
A light protein?, Clarify?, Pourous control?. :perplexed :perplexed :perplexed

My hair is in great condition right now, I have no issues with breakage, it is shedding a little more but nothing else. Wanna make sure it stays that way

What shall I do :eek:

I like to clarify before I relax. I had a horrible experience of buildup when I relaxed one time, and the relaxer would NOT rinse out!!! You should have seen me running around looking for stuff to get it out with. Finally some clarifying poo and baking soda did the trick. Luckily I wasn't overprocessed or anything. But I like to shampoo maybe 3-4 days before and then go easy on the products in the meantime.

baglady215 said:
I like to clarify before I relax. I had a horrible experience of buildup when I relaxed one time, and the relaxer would NOT rinse out!!! You should have seen me running around looking for stuff to get it out with. Finally some clarifying poo and baking soda did the trick. Luckily I wasn't overprocessed or anything. But I like to shampoo maybe 3-4 days before and then go easy on the products in the meantime.

Thanks Baglady

I have NEVER :eek: :confused: Clarified. Any product recommmendations pls

I use cheap old Suave but it is drying. But I don't use it too often (maybe monthly) and it does the job. I'm looking for a new one though. :)

I always clarify, and use a treatment poo like nexxus botanoil and follow w/keraphix and a DC, as my final comb through I use porosity control to make sure the Relaxer w/obsorb properly and in a timely manner. I have excellent results and almost no shedding. HTH's

baglady215 said:
I use cheap old Suave but it is drying. But I don't use it too often (maybe monthly) and it does the job. I'm looking for a new one though. :)

Not sure if I have saw Suave in the UK:confused: . Will have a look

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I always clarify, and use a treatment poo like nexxus botanoil and follow w/keraphix and a DC, as my final comb through I use porosity control to make sure the Relaxer w/obsorb properly and in a timely manner. I have excellent results and almost no shedding. HTH's

Thank Beaut, What Clarify do you use. Was thinking about Aloe Rid from Nexxus.
Porosity control - What one, con, shampoo???

I def use my Keraphix, or how about my emergencee

Sorry about all the questions just wanna get it right:grin:

Any shampoo with SLS or ALS will be strong enough to remove buildup assuming you wash up to three days before your relaxer and use minimal, non- heavy products after that. Well here is what I do.

1.) Do a protein treatment the last wash before your relaxer. Follow that up with a good deep conditioning. To determine which aphogee (or strength of protein) to use, I would do a breakage assessment of the hair. If you are already having some breakage, I would go with a moderate/heavy protein. If you don't have any noticable breakage then a light/ milder protein should be fine. Do not proceed with the relaxer application if you are still having noticable breakage or shedding.

2.) On the last 3-5 days before your relaxer, do not wash, comb, scratch, or do anything to disturb your scalp.

3.) You should also do a protein treatment the next wash after your relaxer- and then again follow that immediately with a deep conditioning treatment.

Relaxing disturbs the protein bonds in hair so you need to be sure to put some protein back via a good protein treatment. If you used a heavier protein the first time around- go for a milder treatment for the one AFTER your relaxer. You want to give your hair a little extra protein to work with in the beginning so that when you relax, you will have a little more protein to work with. This will keep your hair strong and your protein levels steady.:) Do not worry about protein "reverting" your hair. I've heard some say this about protein. The fact of the matter is, you cannot build back broken bonds. It is actually the sulfide bonds that are responsible for your curl pattern NOT the protein bonds. Relaxers must destroy the sulfide bonds to get the hair straight- if this doesn't happen all the way then you may see reversion. Though protein is affected by relaxing too, it has nothing to do with the straightening process. This is a common misconception. Protein gives strength and structure, not curl pattern- which are totally different things.:)

4.) The night before and the day of relaxer- pay special attention to the ends of the hair. For extra protection, coat your ends with something like castor oil, vaseline, lekair cholesterol- this is to keep the previously relaxed ends conditioned and protects them from being overprocessed and damaged in the relaxing process. Be careful near the newgrowth because you don't want to underprocess that- unless you are going for that look
:D

Well thats what I do anyway! :lol:

sista thanks SO SO much for your post! I am passing this on to my sis via email. I can't thank you enough....she needs this. If you don't mind me asking do you have your hair routine posted anywhere on the forum? tia

Sistaslick said:
My regimen is in the welcome and about me section of my fotki album. I do need to do some updating on that one though:lol: ... I also posted a thread about this (particularly for self relaxers) on another site if you are interested in reading that thread too: http://p069.ezboard.com/fblackbeautyblackhair86911frm12.showMessage?topicID=110.topic It may be helpful to some.:)

thanks sista! do you mind pming me your password? tia

ETA: never mind about the password I got it from a previous pm that I sent you.

Last edited:
Sistaslick said:
Any shampoo with SLS or ALS will be strong enough to remove buildup assuming you wash up to three days before your relaxer and use minimal, non- heavy products after that. Well here is what I do.

1.) Do a protein treatment the last wash before your relaxer. Follow that up with a good deep conditioning. To determine which aphogee (or strength of protein) to use, I would do a breakage assessment of the hair. If you are already having some breakage, I would go with a moderate/heavy protein. If you don't have any noticable breakage then a light/ milder protein should be fine. Do not proceed with the relaxer application if you are still having noticable breakage or shedding.

2.) On the last 3-5 days before your relaxer, do not wash, comb, scratch, or do anything to disturb your scalp.

3.) You should also do a protein treatment the next wash after your relaxer- and then again follow that immediately with a deep conditioning treatment.

Relaxing disturbs the protein bonds in hair so you need to be sure to put some protein back via a good protein treatment. If you used a heavier protein the first time around- go for a milder treatment for the one AFTER your relaxer. You want to give your hair a little extra protein to work with in the beginning so that when you relax, you will have a little more protein to work with. This will keep your hair strong and your protein levels steady.:) Do not worry about protein "reverting" your hair. I've heard some say this about protein. The fact of the matter is, you cannot build back broken bonds. It is actually the sulfide bonds that are responsible for your curl pattern NOT the protein bonds. Relaxers must destroy the sulfide bonds to get the hair straight- if this doesn't happen all the way then you may see reversion. Though protein is affected by relaxing too, it has nothing to do with the straightening process. This is a common misconception. Protein gives strength and structure, not curl pattern- which are totally different things.:)

4.) The night before and the day of relaxer- pay special attention to the ends of the hair. For extra protection, coat your ends with something like castor oil, vaseline, lekair cholesterol- this is to keep the previously relaxed ends conditioned and protects them from being overprocessed and damaged in the relaxing process. Be careful near the newgrowth because you don't want to underprocess that- unless you are going for that look

Very helpful :D

Sistaslick said:

Wow thanx for the post Sistaslick. I get my relaxer on Thursday! I will definitely follow this routine. :)

I thank you soooo much for posting this. I am going to pratice with conditioner, before I try self relaxing again. The last time I did it....ewwww it was a hot mess, that was the only big mistake I made last year. It set me back about 4 months. I lost alot of hair...I will pratice, but continue to let my mom do it until I am good enough with the conditioner.

Wow sistaslick!! I never realized how amazing you are when it comes to haircare!! You are so knowledgable and very informed. :yep: No wonder you hair grew like a weed in a year! Keep up the great work... we are all benefitting from it as well. ;)

I use Nexxus Aloe rid to clarify along w/the treatment. I use Roux porosity control conditoner. It won't hurt to go w/the Emergencee, either one is great just give yourself what your hair needs at the time... so if you think the keraphix will be strengthening enough for your hair then go w/that. No problem about the ?'s that's why we're here, to help and get help.;)
kizzylonghair said:
Thank Beaut, What Clarify do you use. Was thinking about Aloe Rid from Nexxus.
Porosity control - What one, con, shampoo???

I def use my Keraphix, or how about my emergencee

Sorry about all the questions just wanna get it right:grin:

secretdiamond said:
Wow sistaslick!! I never realized how amazing you are when it comes to haircare!! You are so knowledgable and very informed. :yep: No wonder you hair grew like a weed in a year! Keep up the great work... we are all benefitting from it as well. ;)

aww thanks girl! I like helping where I can.:lol: And shooo, y'all betta buy my book when it comes out! :lol: :lachen:

secretdiamond said:

co-signing! I couldn't have said it better myself. Sista you rock.

Last edited:
This is a great thread! I'm getting a touch-up in a week and am so glad I found it. :clap:

Only thing is... Tishee you're giving sista the finger with that smilie. I've done this unknowingly in the past myself. lol! :lol:

Thank you all for your great advice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to update you that last nite

I Clarify with Nexuss Aloe Rid, Use poursity Control con, follwed by deep con of Nexuss Kephix, then a mosituring con. Then moisturised.

I will just have it bunned until relax day now. So I hope I have put in my hair in this best shape ready for touch up on fri :p

juicy555 said:
This is a great thread! I'm getting a touch-up in a week and am so glad I found it. :clap:

Only thing is... Tishee you're giving sista the finger with that smilie. I've done this unknowingly in the past myself. lol! :lol:

really?! Sista I am SO SO sorry about that......I thought I was giving you 2 thumbs up.....I am SO SO SO sorry about that.

juicy thanks SO much for bringing that to my attention......off to edit it now.

and again sista I am SO SO sorry about that & thnx juicy for letting me know.

Back