Total Reversion After a Texturizer

options

I don't know what's going on with my hair. I have been texturized for several months, and it seems as if my hair is totally reverting. I mean, it is looking, acting and feeling totally unaltered, like my virgin 4A hair. I am quite familiar with dealing with my natural hair, so it's like like this is untouched territory, but I didn't think it was possible for hair to really revert. I have what is considered resistant hair - it has never even processed color well - but to have had a texture-altering chemical applied and have the hair do a 360 is a trip to me!

Anyway, I want a texturized, looser look. What should I do? Do I retexturize all of my hair with a stronger product? Do I just focus on the new growth? What should I do?

I am starting to think that maybe I should just go totally straight, which might be easier to navigate than being texturized.

Maybe you should try a relaxer instead. I texturised my sisters hair once and it really didn't do that much for her hair, she went back to a relaxer. (pcj)

I think that you can put a relaxer over a texturiser but you'd have to be careful. Maybe do the new growth really good then just quickly go over the texturised parts. I think that Den1 did this with success.

Other than PCJ, do you have any recs on relaxers? I am like a newbie to all of this, so a sista needs some guidance.

buffalosoldier said:
I think that you can put a relaxer over a texturiser but you'd have to be careful. Maybe do the new growth really good then just quickly go over the texturised parts. I think that Den1 did this with success.

Yep, that's right i corrected the hair succcessfully, even though i am transitioning, due hairstylist processing my textures wrong in june, my hair just can't withstand the straight section anymore. You should be fine since your in control of your hair. keep your hair ultra moisturised and perform strand tests to prevent overprocessing. this is how i got my textures perfect in Sept. here's my pics

my corrective (sorry i don't have any before's)

68575411-vi.jpg

67501215-vi.jpg

if you need any more info on how i did strands tests and how i applied my texturizer. just send me a PM

Last edited:
Den1, I love your hair! It is the textured hair of my dreams! :love: I am currently experiencing the same problem. Would u send me some tips, please? :perplexed

Maybe it is overprocessed, but not straight?? That would explain it feeling rough. Or maybe you just don't leave it on long enough.

I have the same texture and high resistance and I leave a regular strength relaxer in for 25 minutes to texturize... most people's hair would be relaxed after that.

Total relaxation for me is only possible with the strongest relaxers for more than 25 minutes.

I don't feel that it is possible for hair to revert. It's just not possible looking at it from a scientific viewpoint.

Porsche,

Which relaxer do you use? And to what percentage does it relax your hair?

I know reversion is not scientifically possible once a chemical has been applied, but my hair has reverted appearance-wise.

hi Options,

I know what you mean about reverting appearance wise. I can't actually recommend a relaxer. When I was relaxed I used to love Pcj and now I use S-curl. (I got my sister onto Pcj as well)
Maybe ask around for a relaxer suggestion ... I read a lot of posts about mizani, phytorelaxer and affirm. I dont really know that much about them and I havent used one in YEARS. Send Den1 a pm and see what she used.

The main thing is to really deep condition your hair and keep it in good shape.

Natrlchallenge said:
Den1, I love your hair! It is the textured hair of my dreams! :love: I am currently experiencing the same problem. Would u send me some tips, please? :perplexed

I'm sending you a PM now.

I currently texturize my hair and have been doing so for 4 years now. I've tried several and the two I highly recommend are Designer Touch and Soft & Beautiful. Fantastix has one also but it does not hold up as long as the other two I mentioned. I also had to make sure that the shampoo and conditioner I use are extra moisturizing.

Hope this helps out some.

Precious_Pup

I am so glad you started this thread. I was going to start one about the reversion I am experiencing after my RELAXER! Four weeks ago, I got a touch up. A few days afterwards, my hair had reverted as if nothing happened. So I got braids, and let my stylist know. Then when I went in two weeks later, my stylist said we'd have to wait two more weeks and try relaxing again. Well, that was Saturday, and yesterday, I started seeing the same reversion as before. What could be causing my hair to not do what I am telling it to?

Bella,

I feel you! I don't get it either. I think that maybe it has something to do with the porosity of the hair. The less porous it is, maybe the less it absorbs chemicals, oils, conditioners, etc.

I am going to attempt a corrective. If that doesn't work, I will either FULLY relax or shave my head.

options said:
Porsche,

Which relaxer do you use? And to what percentage does it relax your hair?

I know reversion is not scientifically possible once a chemical has been applied, but my hair has reverted appearance-wise.

I use PCJ lye... I'm not usre of the percentage my hair is relaxed... maybe 50% or 60% or so. I dunno!...

My natural texture is 3c/4a and afterwards I suppose it looks like an afro textured 3b/3c with mush less shrinkage.

Back