Toronto Hair Care - SOMEONE HELP!!!

Lebiya

...Are there ANNNYYY salons...people...clinics that actually KNOW how to CARE for type 4b hair (I'm textlaxed....stylist did a HORRIBLE jobb)..anyone??

..I dont know what to do :cry::cry:

PLEEEEEEASE someone tell me if there is anyone in Toronto that knows how to care for 4b hair ...I just textlaxed ( as of 1 week ago..by JAZMA salon) but I got horrible results and I'm on the verge of starting my journey over again : (

Hugs to you...
Sorry can't offer much advice (I don't know much about texturizers) but I'm in TO and I'm 4b, so I understand your pain. I went natural partly because these TO stylists are useless! You are the 3rd person I know not happy with Jazma's so called wash-and-wear texturizer.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution!

Sorry to hear about your experience. Do you plan to keep your hair in a textlaxed state or are you looking to do a corrective relaxer? I would recommend you checking out Azan's salon in Toronto. That's where I used to get my relaxers done before I transitioned to natural/ moved away from T.O. They have great service and are very professional. I don't think they offer a "texturizer/texlax" service per se, but I think if you tell them what your trying to achieve, they would help you in reaching your goals. Here's the link to their website.The stylist I saw name is Cherlene. The hairstyle in my avatar was done by her. HTH

Azans Hair

Hugs to you...
Sorry can't offer much advice (I don't know much about texturizers) but I'm in TO and I'm 4b, so I understand your pain. I went natural partly because these TO stylists are useless! You are the 3rd person I know not happy with Jazma's so called wash-and-wear texturizer.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution!

Thanks so much.

Are those people on the board?

Is there anyway I could talk to them?

How long have you been natural?

Sorry to hear about your experience. Do you plan to keep your hair in a textlaxed state or are you looking to do a corrective relaxer? I would recommend you checking out Azan's salon in Toronto. That's where I used to get my relaxers done before I transitioned to natural/ moved away from T.O. They have great service and are very professional. I don't think they offer a "texturizer/texlax" service per se, but I think if you tell them what your trying to achieve, they would help you in reaching your goals. Here's the link to their website.The stylist I saw name is Cherlene. The hairstyle in my avatar was done by her. HTH

Azans Hair

That’s a good question. I don’t know honestly. I went back after to get a touch-up on the roots ( it was tangled and felt like the perm didn’t touch it) and she touched up a bit on the ends. STILL, it feels the same. I'm not sure if its because I did an aphogee protein treatment 4 days before the texturizer…maybe that’s why didn’t textlax?

I'm soo afraid of dong a corrective relaxer…what if my ends start breaking?..it is too much chemicals at once? I DON’T want straight hair… and that’s what Im afraid of. The front is straighter that I want it already ( only the front parts though)

thank you for the link..I will check it out and go in to see someone.

Thanks ladies!

My hair is also dry like crisy chips....anyone have any solutions?...would you cut it all off and start again?

They might have heard about LHCF but I'm not sure. Years ago I searched the forum for salons in Toronto. Most of the reviews I found were on Jazma salon, but they seemed to have mixed reviews. Azan's got positive reviews so I decided to call and make an appointment with them on a whim, and was happy that I did.

They use top relaxer brands (Mizani and Affirm), and offer steam treatments among other services. They even keep a profile/ hair history of each client's hair. You can give them a call and talk to one of the stylists if you want more information. They are pricey, but definitely not as expensive as Jazma. But it's totally worth the piece of mind. I saw long and healthy relaxed and natural heads during my visits. They aren't scissor happy stylists either. They listen to what the client wants, but aren't afraid to comment if the health of the clients hair has been compromised, but ultimately they respect the client's wishes. So you don't have to worry about them trimming more than you asked them to.

Technically I've only been 100% natural for 2months, but I'm currently shoulder length. For my last transition, I wore full sew-in weaves for two years and slowly cut off the relaxed ends. I decided to transition for that long this time around, beause I did't want to have to deal with two textures, or deal with styling a TWA. I currently braid my hair in a circular pattern every 6 weeks and I wear a full wig/ instant weave that I made myself. I plan to do this for another year and half till I reach my hair goal. If and when I move back to Toronto, I wouldn't hesitate to go go back to Azan's to straighten and trim my natural hair. If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

Thanks so much.

Are those people on the board?

Is there anyway I could talk to them?

How long have you been natural?

No, they are not on this board. One of them is my sister. He texturizer just came out as a very underprocessed perm. That was years ago. She is now natural (over 10 years). I've been natural for 5 years.

I used to go to Azan's, one of his stylists cut my hair off when I was younger. When he styled my mum's hair, he used to cut off a lot too but she never cared enough to complain because she thinks it's just hair and she liked starting over and growing it back. With my hair, the trims the stylists performed usually took off my progress but I didn't care for long hair back then, I only wanted it to look good. Needless to say, after they chopped off my hair — that was specifically NOT instructed for — my mum and left.

After going to Azan's for a while it didn't really live up to our expectations and the environment was not as professional as you'd expect them to be, being located around the Rosedale area and all. It was all just a big facade. There was a lot of trouble getting the stylist you wanted and asked for. For a while we ended up with completely different stylists that we didn't request or even wanted and we never got the results we were hoping for. At the time I used to go, there was a different person for each process; relaxing was one person, washing another, drying another, and styling was another. When it came to styling, it was difficult, we had to STRESS heavily on the person we wanted. How I ended up with a major cut was the same unprofessional nature of not getting for the hairdresser you asked for. The stylist at this time cut off large chucks of my nape that took a long time and a lot of trouble to grow back out in an attempt to do a style she THOUGHT we requested. In reality she really wasn't listening to my mum when she dictated what we wanted. :nono: She fixed the cut and blended it in to make the mistakes of chopping off my hair look like it was on purpose. I went from hair that was growing out nicely to a semi-boy cut.

Overall Azan's salon isn't terrible since the cut itself was alright after it was fixed but I wouldn't suggest anyone go there. If you decide to go be cautious and STATE what you want. It's been a while since I've been there so they could've changed over the years. Azan's would be my last resort hairdresser if I ever had to go back there though. Besides my hair getting cut off, there were a lot of other little unprofessional acts that occurred regularly and my mother and I always tried switching salons. If I were to think about it, I'd probably self-relax and buy myself a Split-Ender before ever going back to Azan's even though it's in a nice area.

* For a recommendation, there's a place called Modern Touch in Scaborough Town Centre. Ask for Naomi, she's VERY good at caring for hair and she LISTENS to what you want. You may want to call and talk to her first about your concerns to see if she can accommodate you but I guarantee you won't regret going to her. She's sweet and my hair actually skyrocketed after being put into her hands. I guess if I had to say, she somewhat inspired me to get really serious about my haircare journey. She really is a God-sent gem.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm going to be continuously editing my post to be as clear as possible and to make sure there's very little grammatical/spelling errors.

Oh and one last thing. I went to Jazma as well when I was trying to switch from Mr. Azan. She also sucked, I got the best bob ever on my head though but everything else was just below mediocre. Jazma and Azan are probably intense competitors considering the stylists at Jazma's kept insulting the health of my hair and blamed it on the stylists at Azan's. Note that there wasn't really anything wrong with the health of my hair, it wasn't at the level it is now but it didn't need severe critiquing. Hope all of this information helped.

I'm natural now, but when I was relaxed I was a Azan's regular. I've never had anything but a positive experience. My stylist was Cathy, and she's the greatest. Mr Azan is fantastic, and can work miracles with a hot comb.

They might have heard about LHCF but I'm not sure. Years ago I searched the forum for salons in Toronto. Most of the reviews I found were on Jazma salon, but they seemed to have mixed reviews. Azan's got positive reviews so I decided to call and make an appointment with them on a whim, and was happy that I did.

They use top relaxer brands (Mizani and Affirm), and offer steam treatments among other services. They even keep a profile/ hair history of each client's hair. You can give them a call and talk to one of the stylists if you want more information. They are pricey, but definitely not as expensive as Jazma. But it's totally worth the piece of mind. I saw long and healthy relaxed and natural heads during my visits. They aren't scissor happy stylists either. They listen to what the client wants, but aren't afraid to comment if the health of the clients hair has been compromised, but ultimately they respect the client's wishes. So you don't have to worry about them trimming more than you asked them to.

Technically I've only been 100% natural for 2months, but I'm currently shoulder length. For my last transition, I wore full sew-in weaves for two years and slowly cut off the relaxed ends. I decided to transition for that long this time around, beause I did't want to have to deal with two textures, or deal with styling a TWA. I currently braid my hair in a circular pattern every 6 weeks and I wear a full wig/ instant weave that I made myself. I plan to do this for another year and half till I reach my hair goal. If and when I move back to Toronto, I wouldn't hesitate to go go back to Azan's to straighten and trim my natural hair. If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

I used to go to Azan's, one of his stylists cut my hair off when I was younger. When he styled my mum's hair, he used to cut off a lot too but she never cared enough to complain because she thinks it's just hair and she liked starting over and growing it back. With my hair, the trims the stylists performed usually took off my progress but I didn't care for long hair back then, I only wanted it to look good. Needless to say, after they chopped off my hair — that was specifically NOT instructed for — my mum and left.

After going to Azan's for a while it didn't really live up to our expectations and the environment was not as professional as you'd expect them to be, being located around the Rosedale area and all. It was all just a big facade. There was a lot of trouble getting the stylist you wanted and asked for. For a while we ended up with completely different stylists that we didn't request or even wanted and we never got the results we were hoping for. At the time I used to go, there was a different person for each process; relaxing was one person, washing another, drying another, and styling was another. When it came to styling, it was difficult, we had to STRESS heavily on the person we wanted. How I ended up with a major cut was the same unprofessional nature of not getting for the hairdresser you asked for. The stylist at this time cut off large chucks of my nape that took a long time and a lot of trouble to grow back out in an attempt to do a style she THOUGHT we requested. In reality she really wasn't listening to my mum when she dictated what we wanted. :nono: She fixed the cut and blended it in to make the mistakes of chopping off my hair look like it was on purpose. I went from hair that was growing out nicely to a semi-boy cut.

Overall Azan's salon isn't terrible since the cut itself was alright after it was fixed but I wouldn't suggest anyone go there. If you decide to go be cautious and STATE what you want. It's been a while since I've been there so they could've changed over the years. Azan's would be my last resort hairdresser if I ever had to go back there though. Besides my hair getting cut off, there were a lot of other little unprofessional acts that occurred regularly and my mother and I always tried switching salons. If I were to think about it, I'd probably self-relax and buy myself a Split-Ender before ever going back to Azan's even though it's in a nice area.

* For a recommendation, there's a place called Modern Touch in Scaborough Town Centre. Ask for Naomi, she's VERY good at caring for hair and she LISTENS to what you want. You may want to call and talk to her first about your concerns to see if she can accommodate you but I guarantee you won't regret going to her. She's sweet and my hair actually skyrocketed after being put into her hands. I guess if I had to say, she somewhat inspired me to get really serious about my haircare journey. She really is a God-sent gem.

Thanks ladies for sharing your stories. I’m going to check out both Modern Touch in Scaborough Town Centre and Azan's and then choose which one. If I don’t like either I will do it myself, if fact I’m leaning towards doing it myself anyways, I just cannot trust anyone with my hair anymore. I paid $258 and 2.5 inches of healthy hair was lost at Jazma. I’m going to try to recover with a corrective relaxer and use phyto.

Aireen, is this the split ender that your are referring to?

http://www.splitender.com/

..I’m wondering if it can be used on natural/text axed hair too?

Thanks ladies for sharing your stories. I’m going to check out both Modern Touch in Scaborough Town Centre and Azan's and then choose which one. If I don’t like either I will do it myself, if fact I’m leaning towards doing it myself anyways, I just cannot trust anyone with my hair anymore. I paid $258 and 2.5 inches of healthy hair was lost at Jazma. I’m going to try to recover with a corrective relaxer and use phyto.

Aireen, is this the split ender that your are referring to?

http://www.splitender.com/

..I’m wondering if it can be used on natural/text axed hair too?

Very smart, I think that's better. My experience is only a guide but you have to decide what's best for your hair. :yep:

Yes that same product! :grin: I'm looking at buying it soon so I can avoid trimming possibly. I would straighten my hair before using it if I was natural or texlaxed since I'm not sure of other alternatives.

I'd give Chiggy's Touch a try, they specialize in curls. Sometimes it's hard to reach them by phone but they know what they are doing. They are around Ave and Dav.

I went to Azan's as a relaxed head and thought the service was really good. I saw some healthy headed naturals passing through which also gives me confidence.

Good luck!

There is also a lady named Zufan on dufferin (store is called Zufan too) - she's very good! I could get more info if your intrested. She is totally about healthy hair care - she`s not on these boards and doesn`t necessarily know the terms we talk about but she handles your hair like fine silk. Wouldn`t as it`s against her principle to relax bone straight etc etc....
To be honest most of her clientele has pretty long healthy hair.

Last edited:
Back