Topical dht blockers?

There's a whole bunch of products called groganics which are aimed to fight DHT.
I used the freezing shampoo I've had like and it did help get rid of the DHT I was seeing attached to the root of hair, which was mainly the patch of hair above my ears.
http://www.groganics.com/

sugarbaybie

A cheap solution for me is either Black tea rinses (I use Earl Grey) or add 1/8th tsp pure caffeine (purchased from amazon.com) to my 8 oz. moisturizing deep conditioners. I DC at least once a week. Been doing this since 2010.

I had a distinctive female pattern balding patch in my crown along with slow growth. The patch was the size of my palm. Since I've been doing the above, no more balding; no more slow growth. Glad those days are OVER!

BTW female pattern baldness runs in my family.

Neem works for me. I use TheraNeem Naturals Shampoo. Neem leaf extract is the first ingredient. I concentrate it on my scalp for several minutes before washing my hair completely.

I also have to wash/shampoo my scalp at least twice a week. Going 1-2 weeks without washing doesn't work for me as much as I would like to do a long-term protective style.

There's a whole bunch of products called groganics which are aimed to fight DHT.
I used the freezing shampoo I've had like and it did help get rid of the DHT I was seeing attached to the root of hair, which was mainly the patch of hair above my ears.
http://www.groganics.com/

melissa-bee thank you so much! I tried Groganics and it did nothing for me. Idk maybe I didn't try it long enough? When it doesn't nip it in 3-4 days of consistent use of hair oil, I get to scared from all the hair fall and run to the next miracle help. :lol: I appreciate it though!

@sugarbaybie

A cheap solution for me is either Black tea rinses (I use Earl Grey) or add 1/8th tsp pure caffeine (purchased from amazon.com) to my 8 oz. moisturizing deep conditioners. I DC at least once a week. Been doing this since 2010.

I had a distinctive female pattern balding patch in my crown along with slow growth. The patch was the size of my palm. Since I've been doing the above, no more balding; no more slow growth. Glad those days are OVER!

BTW female pattern baldness runs in my family.

@Pompous Blue I think I remember talking to you about the same thing and you told me this, I intended to try but I forgot. I'm going to try this.

Now I tried instead of making the tea, placing coffee beans in oil and slow cooking it to make an anti-dht hair oil :grin:. But heck my hair just kept on falling. So idk if I needed an oil that melted into the scalp like jojoba oil as I was using olive oil. But either way, I was thinking maybe caffeine wouldn't work for me. Tell me, how many times did you do the rinse and conditioner before you saw ANY difference?

Oh and do you put the caffeine in the conditioner once for the entire jar and it stays potent the entire duration of using the entire bottle? Or do you add caffeine everytime you condition to the amount you are using for thatb time? Also, I may use some bags of tea just to try before making a big punch bowl batch, how many bags do you suggest for one cup of tea?

Last edited:
Neem works for me. I use TheraNeem Naturals Shampoo. Neem leaf extract is the first ingredient. I concentrate it on my scalp for several minutes before washing my hair completely.

I also have to wash/shampoo my scalp at least twice a week. Going 1-2 weeks without washing doesn't work for me as much as I would like to do a long-term protective style.

greenandchic :scratchch Hummm this sounds interesting. So is this Neem supposed to help with hair fall involving dht issues?

@Pompous Blue I think I remember talking to you about the same thing and you told me this, I intended to try but I forgot. I'm going to try this.

Now I tried instead of making the tea, placing coffee beans in oil and slow cooking it to make an anti-dht hair oil :grin:. But heck my hair just kept on falling. So idk if I needed an oil that melted into the scalp like jojoba oil as I was using olive oil. But either way, I was thinking maybe caffeine wouldn't work for me. Tell me, how many times did you do the rinse and conditioner before you saw ANY difference?

Oh and do you put the caffeine in the conditioner once for the entire jar and it stays potent the entire duration of using the entire bottle? Or do you add caffeine everytime you condition to the amount you are using for thatb time? Also, I may use some bags of tea just to try before making a big punch bowl batch, how many bags do you suggest for one cup of tea?
@sugarbaybie At the time I started, I also was having major shedding issues and incorporated both the tea rinsing and adding garlic oil (purchased from the grocery store) to my DC and co-washers. So, I don't know if using both speeded up the recovery or not.

Using the garlic oil immediately reduced the shedding. I noticed normal growth after using both the tea rinses and garlic oil after a couple of months' usage. In other words, after a couple of months of use, my normal growth returned to that region which, of course, thickened my hair.

I also used Alter Ego garlic mask. That's a good conditioner to reduce excessive shedding.

If you have balding from DHT, I wouldn't look for an immediate remedy but consistent use of the tea rinse/garlic regimen will reverse the hair loss and restore your hair/scalp back to normal.

The key is consistency and patience.

Also, I add only 1/8th tsp of caffiene to an 8 oz. jar of conditioner. Mix well. I do not add more than 1/8th tsp. or keep adding caffeine to the container.

But do try the tea rinsing 1st. That's what I did. I didn't start using caffeine until a year or more late when I had some major family issues come up and I didn't have the time for the tea rinsing. I tea rinse, then put my conditioner on top of that. Or I tea rinse and put the co-wash on top of that.

Last edited:
Personally, I try to use products that contain saw palmetto or nettle. I also use pumpkin seed oil as a sealant and additive in my conditioners. All of these, in addition to emu oil and green tea, are very good DHT blockers.

melissa-bee thank you so much! I tried Groganics and it did nothing for me. Idk maybe I didn't try it long enough? When it doesn't nip it in 3-4 days of consistent use of hair oil, I get to scared from all the hair fall and run to the next miracle help. :lol: I appreciate it though!

Hmm when I first tried the line I picked up the deep freeze shampoo, the conditioner and some scalp drops. But the only one I continued to use was the shampoo and that help the shedding and no longer see the DHT. I thought I would stick to it because use have to leave it on for 10 mins. The conditioner wasn't meeting my hairs needs so I stopped and I think the scalp drops was a waste of money.
All the products have saw palmetto in it so I think it helps you just have to give it time. I washed my hair once a week with the shampoo. I've recently stopped using it to concentrate on hair's needs. But will return to it if I need to or maybe use it once a month to maintain.
I drink nettle tea also which apparently helps get rid of the Androgens that create the DHT. You have to try and do something internally as well to get rid off this problem. I did explore taking saw palmetto supplements but was a little scared to, so opted for the nettle tea instead.

In no particular order:
Saw Palmetto Tea Rinses
Hydratherma Naturals Products (Oil, Lotion, Follicle Booster etc..)
Pumpkin Seed Products (BlueRoze Beauty, DB etc....)
Coffee Rinses (including Coffee Conditioners & DC'ers)
KeraVada Coffee Oil *and various*
Neem Based Products
Afroveda's Shikakaki Oil
Viviscal Hair Vitamins
Hairomega Vitamins & Hairomega DHT Blocker Vitamins
The Pomade Shop's Coffee Pomade
Hairitage Hydrations Jar of Joe
Liquid Gold's Whipped Java

Neem works for me. I use TheraNeem Naturals Shampoo. Neem leaf extract is the first ingredient. I concentrate it on my scalp for several minutes before washing my hair completely. I also have to wash/shampoo my scalp at least twice a week. Going 1-2 weeks without washing doesn't work for me as much as I would like to do a long-term protective style.

They have several kinds, which ones have you been using? greenandchic

Last edited:
Okay ladies I'm going to try this. Pick a product, buy, and begin usage. Ill try to remember to let you know when I start and my progress. Anyone else dealing with dht hair loss at the vertex, temples, crown, or diffused thinning and have relatives who has the same, you can start with me. It will continue to show us what helps for this type of hair fall.

Okay ladies I'm going to try this. Pick a product, buy, and begin usage. Ill try to remember to let you know when I start and my progress. Anyone else dealing with dht hair loss at the vertex, temples, crown, or diffused thinning and have relatives who has the same, you can start with me. It will continue to show us what helps for this type of hair fall.

sugarbaybie
I'm interested. I might buy the Theraneem Shampoo that was mentioned up thread of something with saw palmetto in it.

@sugarbaybie
I'm interested. I might buy the Theraneem Shampoo that was mentioned up thread of something with saw palmetto in it.

Beamodel :clap:

I am working on getting the tea and caffeine mentioned by poster Pompus Blue. I have some tea, must mk sure its not expired first, then if not will buy some and order some caffeine to put in my conditioner.

Once I have these items I'll plan to let you all know when I start, my frequency of use, and how well it's working or not working.

Alright ladies lets join in! Also Pompous Blue, melissa-bee, greenandchic, PJaye, IDareT'sHair, all_1_length, if you know of or read of any other ladies experiencing hair loss, list their names to guide them to this discussion. If they to have dht hair loss, usually if it helps one it helps another.

And if they have a different type of hair loss, it still may help them to. I think PCOS hair loss and those with thyroid issues both throw their sufferers into a dht hair loss state to.

Are you ladies natural?

I'm just wondering what is a goid method for rubbing these products into my scalp without creating a tangled mess in my long natural hair.

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@melissa-bee how long did it take for your hair loss to stop? How many products did you use, just the oil, or several?
Well I have what seems two different types of hair loss. I had a patch above my ear where I could physically see the DHT attached the the hair follicles and that patch stopped shedding about 3-4 weeks after using the freezing shampoo. It's now very slowly going back. I also have hair loss in the crown Area which so far hasn't grown back so I'm assuming it isn't DHT related hair loss. I don't really know what else do do about that. I have started using castor oil on it though.

I only used the freezing shampoo. I did get some scalp drops but didn't use it for long. I don't like them.

Back