Topic: Were youWere ever teased at school for having natural hair?

GraciousMystique

Were you ever teased at school for having natural hair?

I could not find a thread about this issue, so I decided to make one. Last night, my mom notified me that my niece was enduring name calling and taunts for not having a relaxer. Kids are telling her that her hair was "puffy" and she was "nappy headed" and and needed a relaxer to make her look more mature ( she's in the seventh grade). She's now pressuring her mother to relax her hair. I had brief conversation with her , and I explained that even if she relaxed her hair some people will continue to tease her about other aspects of herself, because some kids are just natural born bullies.

Hearing her story made me flashback to my own childhood. I too was natural until my freshman year of HS. I was called the most colorful names ranging from "african booty scratchier", "Miss Fu Fu" and was consistently told that "I needed a perm". These painful insults and exclusion only came from my black peers, which hurt me even more and made me even more confused. I wanted a relaxer so badly.

But my dear mother always told me that it was the way God made me and I should be proud. But she ended up caving in and relaxing when I was fifteen. I realize during the teen years, the pressure to conform to the norm and fitting in with the crowd is strong. Nobody wanted to be the oddball.

It's was hard for me (and my niece) to hear adults say positive things about your hair when you go to school and hear negative comments being uttered about your hair from so many of your peers at schools. You start to internalize the negativity and believe it , no matter how untrue those statements/beliefs are.

Dealing with natural hair negativity is difficult for many natural adults. But imagine how difficult it is for a pre teen or teenager. I'm looking for people to connect with. If you went through a similar situation in school, Please share your stories

My questions are:

If you had a daughter and wanted to keep her natural and she was being ridiculed at school what methods would you use to assist her in combating that mentality?

If you were teased at school for being natural and relaxed under peer pressure, what were your experience like and what advice would you give based off of those experiences?

(Personally, I wish I would have read about the historical basis of black hair and learned where these negative sentiments originated from and continue to manifest themselves. I wish I would have know the power of media influences and interacted with other naturals for hairstyle tips. Then I probably would have never relaxed.)

Last edited:
Nope! I went natural in college and I received alot of positive compliments. It even inspired several girls to transition :)

ETA: I am sorry you and your niece had to go through a lot of ignorance :nono:

If you had a daughter and wanted to keep her natural and she was being ridiculed at school what methods would you use to assist her in combating that mentality?

Maybe straighten it a few times..that will surely shock a few of those ignorant ridiculers especially when they see that natural hair can have the same look as relaxed hair. When her hair retains a lot of length that will shock them as well, but as you said people will find any thing just to pick on. I will probably put her hair in braids and I would look through a few natural style magazines and try different hairstyles.

If you were teased at school for being natural and relaxed under peer pressure, what were your experience like and what advice would you give based off of those experiences?

I was never teased for having natural hair. I was only teased by a few individuals for having relaxed hair that was thinning at the crown area. In spite of that, thats when I decided to transition to regain thickness.

Last edited:
Nope. I was the only one in my middle school with natural hair. Everyone was intrigued, but all I wanted was for my hair to look like everyone elses.

My mom told me one day I will learn to appreciate it....she was right.

But if you don't have the confidence to wear natural hair, as a younging, it will break your spirit when you have meanies taunting you.

Wish saying "Keep ya head up" was enough, but considering her age, stage in life and seeing that it is getting to her enough for to ask for a relaxer after all these years...."Keep ya head up" is not going to work.

Suggestions: Flat ironing it. Braid outs (those always seem to make kids think you have curly hair, and possibly aleviate the taunting)

I could not find a thread about this issue, so I decided to make one. Last night, my mom notified me that my niece was enduring name calling and taunts for not having a relaxer. Kids are telling her that her hair was "puffy" and she was "nappy headed" and and needed a relaxer to make her look more mature ( she's in the seventh grade). She's now pressuring her mother to relax her hair. I had brief conversation with her , and I explained that even if she relaxed her hair some people will continue to tease her about other aspects of herself, because some kids are just natural born bullies.

Hearing her story made me flashback to my own childhood. I too was natural until my freshman year of HS. I was called the most colorful names ranging from "african booty scratchier", "Miss Fu Fu" and was consistently told that "I needed a perm". These painful insults and exclusion only came from my black peers, which hurt me even more and made me even more confused. I wanted a relaxer so badly.

But my dear mother always told me that it was the way God made me and I should be proud. But she ended up caving in and relaxing when I was fifteen. I realize during the teen years, the pressure to conform to the norm and fitting in with the crowd is strong. Nobody wanted to be the oddball.

It's was hard for me (and my niece) to hear adults say positive things about your hair when you go to school and hear negative comments being uttered about your hair from so many of your peers at schools. You start to internalize the negativity and believe it , no matter how untrue those statements/beliefs are.

Dealing with natural hair negativity is difficult for many natural adults. But imagine how difficult it is for a pre teen or teenager. I'm looking for people to connect with. If you went through a similar situation in school, Please share your stories

My questions are:

(Personally, I wish I would have read about the historical basis of black hair and learned where these negative sentiments originated from and continue to manifest themselves. I wish I would have know the power of media influences and interacted with other naturals for hairstyle tips. Then I probably would have never relaxed.)

I relaxed under peer pressure and regretted it and transitioned back within 6 months, and when my hair was thinning, falling out those same bullies are the ones who were like ohhh what's up with your hair, it used to be so thick long yada yada :rolleyes: ironic right. But that's the way THEY are you just can't win, and I was too young and dumb to know better. And believe me I still regret it to this day, cause I would have never relaxed if it wasn't for that, I wasn't even that sold on straight hair 24/7, and I could have been WL natural by know :lol:

~~~~~~~~
Why does she NEED to look more mature??? where's that going to lead? Those aren't the kind of girls she should be hanging out with.

@ the bolded esp. the knowledge of where and why relaxers came about, and tell her you were teased also, that's your answers right there, plus the fact that she's still developing and growing and relaxers are harsh chemicals that are absorbed into the body and can cause future problems with fertility, cancer, uterine cancer. Also it's common knowledge that it messes up young hair follicles causing irreversible damage esp. if you relax as a child vs. adult and don't forget glamorous scalp burns and bald spots too.

Also anything you can't use while pregnant carrying a baby you shouldn't use while you're developing what will support and carry a baby later on. You're right and when she 's relaxed they'll tease her about something else cause THEY will never be satisfied until she's completely their private personal brainwashed tool and unhappy. Does she really want to live like that? Maybe she should give them a couple quick zingers back, when they attack her, that's shut them up.

There are other alternatives she can wear it natural, use styling products to style her kinks and curls, learn how to do twist outs, and every once in a while straighten it out. If she knows she has styling options she won't be quick to relax and you could show her some YT videos of naturals who have beautiful healthy hair. hth

here's some links:

Leobody

she should watch this one 1st cause LEobodyC5 talks about being natural, being hated on/harrassed, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/user/LeobodyC5#p/u/18/PY6Nw9RtOLs

http://www.youtube.com/user/LeobodyC5#p/u/21/75lVvnLHpqI

http://www.youtube.com/user/LeobodyC5#p/c/69A3AAFAB00BD571/7/EIaNy1pM4uY

http://www.youtube.com/user/LeobodyC5#p/c/69A3AAFAB00BD571/3/E9oOrIT83P0

http://www.youtube.com/user/chellywellzshop#p/u/4/Sl-IZToezt0

http://www.youtube.com/user/chellywellzshop#p/u/3/6uXdRladNHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4XD7wSOSpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MozyQDaROTQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl-IZToezt0&playnext_from=TL&videos=udKVEe20LDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG_Tz2o1nic&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQygyiD2fXc&feature=related

transitioners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Se4g8zQFz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8GbJNJ2jM&feature=related

natural hair expo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-EZCwChQtQ

Lexiwith the curls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phL5FR0QVoA&feature=channel

devacurl
http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?pi=0&ps=20&sf=added&sa=0&dm=2&s=iOB_Z8H7-OY&as=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ahYIgjroWo

Last edited:
yes I WAS!

I'm sorry your niece is going through this but people are evil little things sometimes, especially kids.

i got a relaxer in th 6th grade..so I was 12?

My mother would have my hair in plaits, box braids, bun, or twists. I didn't get teased too much about it, but my school was smaller, and I was cool with just bout everyone, I guess it was cause I had long hair. But I was called all the derogatory names because I was Haitian, and always got confused with being an african booty scratcher, a voodoo witch, and so on.

But ironically enough the real bad teasing didn't start until the 7th grade when my mom cut my hair down to a TWA due to severe crown breakage from the relaxers and bad care. I was called a boy, a lesbian, ugly, everything in the book. It was so bad I didn't even want to go to school. But I had great friends who helped me feel better about it and they eventually got the heck over it. And what's funny enough, I even had my hair cut by a jealous classmate when I was younger and relaxer free. The girls always wanted to play in me and my 2 friends hair as we 3 had the longest hair in all the class. (mom didn't like that very much..lol).

Knowing what I know now about natural hair care I would advise against my child getting a relaxer. There are so many styles to choose from. If it got really bad, I would press it every so often but do twist outs, buns or tight ringlets with rod sets. When she is older, if she isn't used to it I would do a silkening treatment once or twice a year.

I think unless the parent is conscious the child will have a hard time understanding, but I don't believe its impossible. I mean she can always use the comeback that at least she has hair lush on her head and full edges. lol. be a positive reinforcement. The world will always be cruel, but coming home should be a solace.

If you had a daughter and wanted to keep her natural and she was being ridiculed at school what methods would you use to assist her in combating that mentality? I would be a role model for her and show her pics of beautiful natural women and let her know she is beautiful ( I would also meet those bullies after school with my bat ...lol:look:

If you were teased at school for being natural and relaxed under peer pressure, what were your experience like and what advice would you give based off of those experiences? My mother forced me to keep my hair tied up and in pigtails , I caved in and for my 12th birthday I begged her for a relaxer , I got the relaxer and from there my hair went from APL to neck length slowly over time. I was clueless on what to do with it . I would tell my daughter this story and if she wants to straighten her hair teach her the techniques on LHCF , protective styling etc. I felt since my mom hardly let me wear my hair down when I was natural I wasn't able to experiment with my texture and see what I am working with , I just wanted to jump on the relaxer bandwagon without any knowledge.

Yes. In Elementary school. Besides being bullied and teased in school, there were girls who would always yell and call me " Bushy on Tuesday,Wednesday Thursday---(you get the point)

They would even whisper to others to yell it out loud when I passed by. It was so embarrassing, but now when I thought about it the girls who use to make fun of me were very fast (talking about guys, sex, wearing make up, wearing adult haircuts).

(Sigh) If only I knew then what I knew now, but I was only a little girl. I hated my childhood :nono:

I didn't get teased in school, but at home by my sisters. I had real short hair and they both had long hair. They always called me nappy headed. It was so short and my mother couldn't really do much to it, but she tried. When I turned 9, I started going to the hairdresser for a wash, press and curl and she would give me a protein treatment once a month. My hair started growing like crazy and before you knew it I had the longest hair of all the girls in my family and still do. They ain't have nothing to say then. I did not get a relaxer until I was 20. My dd who is also in the 7th grade is natural and I just keep her hair braided in cute styles and flat iron for special occasions. When I do her hair I make sure to always say positive things about her hair and tell her how blessed she is to have a full head of thick, beautiful, coarse hair, so she feels good about her natural hair. Maybe your niece's mother can braid her hair in some nice styles. People can be so cruel sometimes.

no I was not natural at that point, can not answer those questions

I'm sorry OP about your daughter's experience
It really infuriates me the actions of kids sometimes (well....and adults), they know not how they touch others lives; i guess it starts at home

"I personally" would not allow her to relax, because her reasons 'right now' are probably motivated by others' feelings of her.... i'm a little afraid of this decision overflowing into other more important decision-making in her future (peer pressure, influences, negativity)

I would right now be more concerned with her hair than my own though.... deep conditioning, treating it like a newborn baby, nurturing it

I would have her hair so long by high school she'll need a knee length challenge on lhcf

but I would alleviate her stress by getting the baddest' braider in town to keep her hair braided every 1.5-2mnths. Personally I hear loads of praises on the crown & glory method

whatever you choose, keep a close watch on her for you know her best. Ensure she doesn't began to act out in negative ways or enter some sort of depression b/c the teen years can be rough

Last edited:
Sure was. Middle school and high school. They had me thinking my hair was really short. It was longer and healthier than I have it now but they still sort of broke me down. I still loved my hair and my curls but i didnt know what to do with them. I wore them in pigtail puffs everyday with the occasional break of kinky twists. I loved my hair but I also felt stifled by it. This was when my sister was still perming and my little sister had dreds I was alone basically and it wasnt until college and my sister was natural that i began to take real care of my hair.

My DD is about to enter middle school and I am preparing her. She was the only natural in her 5th grade class, but all the kids seemed pretty cool about her puff. I hope that doesn't change, but we all know how they get when they start talking about boys and trying to look like teenagers.

When I do her hair I make sure to always say positive things about her hair and tell her how blessed she is to have a full head of thick, beautiful, coarse hair, so she feels good about her natural hair. Maybe your niece's mother can braid her hair in some nice styles. People can be so cruel sometimes.

I wish I could double thanks this! Sometimes all girls need is a older positive influence.

lol i was never teased for having natural hair but i remember being teased for having extensions. but i begged and begged my mom for a relaxer because i liked the look the pretty gurls on the boxes had years later she gave in and we were one big happy family.

my mom was always natural pressed as long as i been alive i think. and got a relaxer now forthe past few years for night sweats and says to me let me press your are or are you ever going to relax it. lol i just laugh and smh

In grade school no. Everybody loved my hair back then. Then I had my first relaxer in the 5th grade. I went back and forth between braids, relaxers and texturizers until 2003 when I stopped chemicals all together.

I had straightened and relaxed hair in elementary school. I actually got teased for having really long hair. It was always getting pulled. I even got into a fight because of it. This was a predominantly black school.

My daughters are natural. They are mixed and have 3a/3b hair. They attend the same school that I attended and unfortunately are getting teased becuase of their hair. My oldest daughter wants to fit in so very badly that she's asked for box plaits, relaxer and anything else that the other kids are doing.

Two different circumstances, but the teasing still persists. I've found that the more that I was reassured by my mother and family about my hair...the easier it was to deal with the people at school. I try to reassure my daughters about their hair and other features as much as I can. Now that I am transitioning to natural, I believe my oldest is starting to feel more comfortable about her own hair. She seems to understant that it's okay to be different now that mommy is trying to be like her. :yawn:

Yes, I did get teased when I was younger. I begged for a perm when I was 12 and my mom caved in and let me have it. All the girls in my class would always tell me "Your hair is so long. It would look so much better if you permed it" or things like "Why don't you get your hair straightened?" "Can you not afford a relaxer?" It was horrible. Plus the only thing my mom knew how to do with natural hair is put it into lots of dooky braids which was ok for younger kids but not so ok once you got to junior high. It was kind of embarrassing...

If I had known that natural hair and so much versatility, I would have NEVER asked for it. but to me natural hair = nappy dooky braids w/ colorful barrets.

I wasn't teased at school for being natural. I had gone to a nappy-friendly school most of my life, predominately black. No one was denigrated or elevated because of their hair texture. Few, if any, of the girls in my class got a perm before the age of 12 and many stayed natural beyond that age. In middle school, my classmates were mostly white and nobody teased my about my hair.

However, I did relax at 13/14. Not so much out of peer pressure but because of my perceived options regarding natural hair. I think a lot of girls approaching adolescence view natural hair as childish and they want to be more mature/fashionable and see wearing their hair out and straightened as the default way to achieve that look.

Personally speaking, although I was exposed to lots of natural hair in my family and community, at the time it seemed like none of the options suited me. I was somewhat hair lazy and had taken to wearing my natural hair in a bun. People my age with natural hair wore twists and braids or more elaborate cornrow styles with extensions. Not my style. Older women wore twa's and dreads. Not my style either. If I had been exposed to some late teen/early twenties females who were rocking twist outs, braid outs, wash-n-go puffs and all the numerous permutations of these styles, I might not have relaxed (although I still would've worn my hair straight every now and then to change up styles).

My questions are:

Well, she would already be aware of the psychological and social legacy of colonization and slavery. She would also already be aware of the dynamics of beauty ideals. My parents discussed these things with me from a young age so terms like "plantation mentality" were just as familiar to me as Polly Pocket and the Berenstein Bears.

I would also discuss conformity, bullying/peer pressure and rites of passage. More specifically, why relaxers are commonly viewed as a rite of passage - why is that wrong and dysfunctional?, how is wearing one's hair differently upon adolescence actually normal?

Having already provided her with than context, I would have an honest discussion with her of how she feels about her hair, relaxing and various hairstyles - acknowledging upfront that it's not a binary matter of self-hate or self-love.

I would show her the versatility and beauty of natural hair through various fotkis, youtubes and teen/early 20s models with a natural texture like hers that was styled in a variety of ways.

I would emphasize the importance of taking pride in one's appearance and the time that goes into doing so. I think a lot of pre-teens are used to having their moms do their hair and when haircare and styling becomes their own responsibility, they're up the creek without a paddle and think relaxing is easier.

I would "put my money where my mouth is" by promising my daughter to assist her (within reason) with haircare and styling by buying tools (curlformers, etc), quality products and setting aside our own pampering day where we could tend to ourselves in a calm environment - rather than waiting until the night before or the morning of school to style hair and then get frustrated at one's hair when time management is really to blame. This would get her acclimated to taking care of her own hair and scheduling her time accordingly.

I think that putting the peer pressure in a social context, while acknowledging the validity and normalcy of wanting a more mature hair style would be key in addressing this situation.

Last edited:
If you had a daughter and wanted to keep her natural and she was being ridiculed at school what methods would you use to assist her in combating that mentality? As BriDa5242 mentioned, I would show my daughter pictures of women with beautiful natural hair in various styles to show her the versitality of being natural.

I was teased all the time in high school for having natural hair. I was relaxed for most of my life and had to get a Halle Berry cut due to all the damage. My mom didn't really know how to handle natural hair and all the stylist only suggested to get a press. She would just put my hair into 2 indian braids and my AA peers would call me Ms.Ceily or tell me constantly that I needed a perm. I didn't cave in and get a relaxer but I did start to get my hair pressed bone straight (so straight I could barely put it in a ponytail) every 2 weeks which led to so much breakage. The advice I would give to other's is something you hear all the time but it's so true. You can let others opinions shape the way you feel about yourself.

My questions are:

If you had a daughter and wanted to keep her natural and she was being ridiculed at school what methods would you use to assist her in combating that mentality? I would teach her to love herself. Hopefully I can instill enough strong values and beliefs about herself that she will just ignore other children. If It became to much of a problem to were it was messing with my babies esteem then I would just braid her hair up or put it in styles people might not talk about so much.

If you were teased at school for being natural and relaxed under peer pressure, what were your experience like and what advice would you give based off of those experiences? I wasn't teased that much for being natural. But I do remember when my mom used to braid my hair she would leave them in SOOO long that the kids at school would tell me I had an "afro around my braids" I got called " beady bead" "buckshot bandit" I think my mom just gave in and relaxed for her, I wasn't teased that much. Oh and when she gave me the puffs, especially four puffs they would call me "Minnie/Mickey Mouse"

I think the thing I hated most about my natural hair is that I was often times mistaken for a little boy. It really did a number on my self esteem and made me feel VERY ugly and hard looking. Other than that I was natural for about half my life and I am glad I am back at it.

I wish that my hair was natural when I was in middle/high school, but I was already relaxed...

Yes I was. I was teased in college as well when I decided to go natural. I just ignored the naysayers. Growing up I knew people thought I had "bad hair" so I knew thats how some people thought. you cant change what they think but you can choose to ignore them.

Even before I started my journey away from relaxers, I've always told my 3 daughters (ages 11, 10 and 3) how beautiful their natural hair is, and to not feel as though they had to change its texture to be beautiful. I called this my whole "do as I say, not as I do" phase of parenting lol.

My 11 yo was one of only 2 girls in her 5th grade class who still wore natural hair. She has 4a/4b hair, and we've always experimented- puffs, twists, twistouts, cornrows, and my personal favorite- a huge afro with a headband or flower. She likes to be different and she's always stood out because of her hair. She's never asked me to perm her hair because its a non-conversation in our home.

My 10 yo is one of a handful of black girls in her class who still have natural hair, and she loves it. She soaks up all of the LHCF I've passed along to her and will repeat it to anyone who'll listen lol. Just yesterday, she wore her hair in a WNG style to camp, and some of the older teenage campers commented that they liked it. One of them had straight hair, so my DD asked her was her hair naturally straight and the teen said she'd permed it because it was "nappy". My daughter then responded, "My mom always says that nappy hair is beautiful. My hair is nappy and I love it." OMG- I don't think I'd ever been prouder of her lol.

I let them go on curlynikki.com, and they especially like the interviews she does with well known and famous naturals. Its so important to have natural role models for our black girls to look up to, especially considering many of us didn't have any when we were their age.

I know it's hard for your niece, but her mom has to keep telling her how beautiful her natural hair is, and arm her with ways to respond to the comments. What she's dealing with is more of a self-esteem issue; it's not a hair issue. As soon as she relaxes it, as others have said, the kids will find something else to pick at. That's why it has to be addressed from a self-esteem perspective.

Just my 2 cents.

Unfortunately I was. All I heard was how can you have green eyes with "nappy hair".
I have always had thick skin so it would just roll off me like teflon.

When I was about 6 my father BC'd me because I got a bunch of burrs stuck in my hair from playing in the woods with my stepbrothers. I cried so much, then just rocked a TWA, because what else was I gonna do? Yes, I was constantly mistaken for a boy, which really hurt because I was already a sensitive child.

Eventually it grew out enough for me to rock puffs. I recall some 8th graders (white girls) calling me "Mickey Mouse" when I was in 2nd grade. Didn't help with the sensitivity.

As the years went by I pretty much wore pigtails and ponytails, the occasional braids, the occasional press. The only negative comments I heard about my hair were from the black girls in my 7th grade class because I didn't have a perm or a Jheri curl, but they still all loved to play in it. The summer before 8th grade, my aunt cut my hair (I don't know why), then couldn't figure out what to do with it, so that's when I got my first relaxer, and that's what I stuck with for a long time. Now I do whatever I want; I've been flirting with transitioning, but I like the ease of what I'm doing now (stretching tex-lax and BKTs). I have long since stopped giving a damn about what other people think about my hair...or much of anything else. Of course, I no longer allow any of my relatives to touch my hair LOL!

OMG YES!!

I was natural until I was 13 years old. My mom had passed when I was 12, and she worked with my hair to keep it up. It was so big and pretty... Then, I couldn't keep up with my hair, and I was talked into relaxing it. It was okay at first, and then came the breakage.

My sophomore year of high school, I decided to go natural, and I had found this board, but it was so hard to. Even my own family member was rude and teased me all the time. She STILL thinks it's funny. I eventually relaxed again.

My hair is still permed, and idk if I'll ever go natural. But I have constantly said that I will NOT relax my daughter's hair.

I lived in a 99% white area. I was teased for having super thick hair. I was natural and my mom would blow dry it straight - ish and put it in a high pony. It was so thick that it in the wind it would stand up. kids made fun of me of course. Then I got a relaxer in like.... 7th grade or something.

then in college last year after being relaxed for yeeearrrs I decided to go natural.. and the black 'friends' i had.. some weren't having it. but when i cut, people liked it, and then i graduated.. so that was that. meh.

Back