Topic: Weave Removal/Take Down - Steps?

05girl

Any tips on how to take down weave? I have a sewn-in with a net.

Also, what should I do to my hair once the weave is out? Details, please!

In particular, I am reading conflicting information on when to comb hair -- comb before getting wet, or afterwards? I understand the hair is very dry and may break a ton if I comb it dry...

TIA!

For my net weave i let the hairdresser cut it out. As for combing you can saturate your hair with conditioner and some oil put on a processing cap so that in can have time to penetrate and then comb through your hair.

As far as the net, I would either get someone that I REALLY trust to cut it out or go back to the stylist.

Most of the time with my sew-ins, I would saturate my braids with some type of oil after removing the weave and let it sit for a bit. That way when I take the braids down and detangle with a wide tooth comb, there would be minimal breakage or totally unnecessary shedding.

I would remove as much thread, dirt and whatever from the braid removal before washing. I do this by finger detangling gently. I also use a needle to unravel my cornrows which are usually small. I'm natural by the way.

I haven't tried using oil while taking my hair out, must try it and see if it works.

In my experience, coating hair with conditioner during the weave takeout process was cause for disaster and matting. You need to first GENTLY detangle properly and remove all of the shed and dead hair. Do this in extremely small sections on dry hair, and do it as gently as possible. Use a wide tooth comb and your hands. Once most of the dead hair is removed and detangled, you can then add conditioner.

You must detangle before you wet/wash your hair. I use a net and always get soemone else to clip my weave out. I detangle every braid then add oil and twist it to keep it detangled until wash time. then i wash in sections. My hair is natural 4a/b

1. Find someone that you trust to cut your weave net out.
2. Undo the braids and gently detangle them.
3. Once all the braids are out, go through in sections and gently but thoroughly detangle your hair. This is important, because you need to remove the built up shed hair or they will ruin your life. I find that with detangling braids, something like Mane n Tail detangler or even an oil works better than conditioner. I like to use a wide tooth comb in sections and then in smaller sections, gently go through again with a finer tooth comb, just to be sure as much dust and hair is out as possible.
4. Once you're sure everything is out, wash and condition like you normally would.

As long as you take your time and are careful, everything should work out fine. Good luck!

I concur w/the ladies.
1. Have someone you trust take down your weave.
2. Detangle your hair w/ a wide tooth comb or a shower comb. If it's really dry (which it shouldn't be if you moisturised daily during the weave) then lightly put a detangler in your hair, then detangle your hair fully.
3. once it's fully detangled, shampoo your hair. I do a clarifying shampoo first then a moisturizing shampoo. Then I deep condition w/ Aphogee 6 week treatment, then use the balancing moisturizer.
4. Then apply my leave-ins then wear a protective style until my next week. Something wear I'm not touchiing my hair too much. ex: a rod set,roller set, etc
- you may see a lot of hair during your detangle process but that's the hair that shed during your weave. If you take you time and detangle, you'll be ok. But FULLY detangle your hair before you shampoo it or you risk getting matted hair.

I used a net before, and I don't think I ever will again. I like that it seemes to give me a layer of protection from my hair rubbing, but my edges were almost ripped out from the tension.

It was fine at first, but when she sewed the tracks on, it was causing extra tension on the net, I got a headache from out of this world.

I usually use a rat tail comb or my fingers get the thread out. I will use my fingers to unravel my cornrows and gently break apart any parts of the braid that may have lint.

My hair is usually still pretty damp from my moisturizer, so I'm abled to comb through the hair with my bone/seamless comb to remover shed hairs, then I put conditioner on (mixed would an oil), as I plait the hair in sections, then I washing, rinse, blow dry the hair with the same sections.
If I'm in between installs I leave in till the next day for a braid out. This works for me, HTH

Last edited:
already stated but I'll say it again for emphasis

DETANGLE YOUR HAIR FIRST!!!!!
As ellebelle88 said, I DO NOT recommend using conditioner to detangle bc that will be the same as getting your hair wet as they are water based. I use a whole lotta olive oil (cheapest hair oil I have), my fingers and a wide tooth shower comb to get the job done!

Depending on how long you've had the weave in, the longer the detangling process will be. You REALLY want to get as many shed hairs out as you possible can because they will cause problems when you're trying to wash.

I'm saying all this as a natural... if you're relaxed it shouldn't be too bad...

^^^^^^^^
DETANGLE YOUR HAIR FIRST!!!!!
As @ellebelle88 said, I DO NOT recommend using conditioner to detangle bc that will be the same as getting your hair wet as they are water based. I use a whole lotta olive oil (cheapest hair oil I have), my fingers and a wide tooth shower comb to get the job done!

I am adding even more emphasis on this one! I lost MAJOR hair length due to detangling with a lot of conditioner (believing that this was good), and having my hair matt up terribly!!! I went from BSL back to above APL again! :nono::nono::nono: NOW I know oil works best and to let it sit a good while before detangling.

Thanks everyone!! I'm anxious to try this all out. I'm transitioning. I'm doing this Friday night and will let ya'll know how it goes. The weave was only in 6-7 weeks so I don't think it will be so bad. My oil will be on deck!
However, I know my hair is non-porous, so I'm hoping that the oil-on-dry-hair won't hinder getting moisture in once I shampoo/condition.

Thanks everyone!! I'm anxious to try this all out. I'm transitioning. I'm doing this Friday night and will let ya'll know how it goes. The weave was only in 6-7 weeks so I don't think it will be so bad. My oil will be on deck!
However, I know my hair is non-porous, so I'm hoping that the oil-on-dry-hair won't hinder getting moisture in once I shampoo/condition.

Just follow up with a clarifying shampoo followed by a moisturizing shampoo and nice long DC. That should help.

Back