Top 3 tips for maintaining relaxed color treated hair

blessedandlucky

Just as the title says, what are your top 3 tips? Protein and moisture balance is essential, but what other tips and tricks have you used to maintain healthy hair?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread for great tips lol...so after i was able to keep my scissors out of my hands and hair....I discovered that these 3 combined are very important for me.

Protective Styling (first and foremost)
Stretching relaxers
Daily moisture

I don't colour but I know it can very drying on the hair. You absolutely MUST keep on top of moisture DC'ing imo.

I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread for great tips lol...so after i was able to keep my scissors out of my hands and hair....I discovered that these 3 combined are very important for me.

Protective Styling (first and foremost)
Stretching relaxers
Daily moisture

IMFOCSD summed it up for me

Can I post 4 tips? :look: :lol:

1. Ensure you have the proper Moisture/Protein balance
  2. Stretch relaxers/use products that don't strip color
  3. Drink lots of good water

4. Use a natural coloring product like henna/indigo for red/brown/black tones.

For me currently its:

Sulfate free shampoos, decreases scalp irritation and frizz.

Protien, Aphogee 2 min as needed.

Moisture D/C. L' occitaine or Alter ego when my hair is off.

Sent from my MyTouch 4 G using Long Hair Care Forum App

I am relaxed and have colored my hair before. Here are my tips:

1. Keep your hair moisturized...if it means cowashing/DCing more, moisturizing (and sealing) more, etc then so be it. Also avoid shampoos with sulfates, which will dry your hair out and strip away color
2. Baby your hair (especially the ends)...try to not overuse heat and PS more
3. Keep up your DCing (alternate between protein and moisture weekly)
4. Try to space out your relaxers and colorings. Always remember to relax before coloring and to wait at least 2 weeks after your relaxer to color (I would wait 3-4 weeks if possible).

I learned all these tips from hindsight. I dyed some of my hair blonde and due to my laziness, it stayed dry and damaged.

Sent from my Sidekick 4G using LHCF

SpicyPisces - i just colored first (by accident, i didn't realize how far along i was post - 6 weeks!), did you have a major setback because of that? i talked to my stylist and she told me to wait at least 2 weeks and to do a mild relaxer and recommended that i come in to have it done. what steps did you take to prevent breakage or how did you recover? whatever happened, you seemed to have landed on your feet. your hair looks great.

i'm already doing everything that you listed even before the color.

thanks for responding. great tips. i'm sure a lot of ladies will benefit.

@SpicyPisces - i just colored first (by accident, i didn't realize how far along i was post - 6 weeks!), did you have a major setback because of that? i talked to my stylist and she told me to wait at least 2 weeks and to do a mild relaxer and recommended that i come in to have it done. what steps did you take to prevent breakage or how did you recover? whatever happened, you seemed to have landed on your feet. your hair looks great.

i'm already doing everything that you listed even before the color.

thanks for responding. great tips. i'm sure a lot of ladies will benefit.

I was lucky not to have any setbacks because since I decided to dye my hair blonde, I felt safer doing only part of my hair instead of my entire head. I decided to color my hair at 3-4 weeks post and my hair took it well (I did worry about my hair falling out though lol). I use lye relaxers in regular if that helps. The problem that arose was that I was very lazy with upkeep (which is a nono for double processed hair), so as a result, my hair started to look a HAM. At that point, my only solution was to trim away the damage, which essentially was all the dyed hair. I trimmed the last half inch back in January and that section is healthy and growing again. I'm not even going to lie, I'm thinking of dyeing a section blonde again but this time, I'm going to upkeep it :yep:.

I honestly cannot emphasize enough how important it is to keep your hair moisturized when it's double processed. If you still have hair on your head after coloring and relaxing, then the only thing that will make it fall out at this point is lack of care.

I'm sorry if this is long but I hope it helps.

Great topic!

1. Co-wash at least twice weekly
2. ALWAYS use a clear demipermanent gloss/rinse to seal in the color and protect it (learned that from Traycee!)
3. Clarify and DC every two weeks

Just as the title says, what are your top 3 tips? Protein and moisture balance is essential, but what other tips and tricks have you used to maintain healthy hair?

Thanks OP I JUST add blond highlights on Sunday, this thread is right on time!

I was lucky not to have any setbacks because since I decided to dye my hair blonde, I felt safer doing only part of my hair instead of my entire head. I decided to color my hair at 3-4 weeks post and my hair took it well (I did worry about my hair falling out though lol). I use lye relaxers in regular if that helps. The problem that arose was that I was very lazy with upkeep (which is a nono for double processed hair), so as a result, my hair started to look a HAM. At that point, my only solution was to trim away the damage, which essentially was all the dyed hair. I trimmed the last half inch back in January and that section is healthy and growing again. I'm not even going to lie, I'm thinking of dyeing a section blonde again but this time, I'm going to upkeep it :yep:.

I honestly cannot emphasize enough how important it is to keep your hair moisturized when it's double processed. If you still have hair on your head after coloring and relaxing, then the only thing that will make it fall out at this point is lack of care.

I'm sorry if this is long but I hope it helps.

SpicyPisces - thank you so much. That's very good to hear. You have no idea! Glad your hair survived and hope mine does too. How long did you relax after coloring?

I dyed my hair honey brown and black and got a regular relaxer three weeks later. WORST thing I've ever done to my hair! Its so overprocessed all it does is shed when dry and stretches till it breaks when wet.

Everyone reccommended Aphogee two step and the 2 minute reconstructor but those only help our for a few days and then I'm back to dry, limp, thinning, brittle hair.

I'm so not used to this my hair was originally soft and light. I would get so many compliments, now its just like ugh... LOL

I think I will cut an inch or so every other month and grow it out. Right now I have major new growth (very unhappy, dry new growth) and the summer heat is not loving it so I have no idea what to do with the two textures... I'm thinking a sew in every month Until I can manage the drama.

What are some good deep conditioners I can find in a store?

Back in the day when I used to be a bleach blonde:

1. Moisture
2. More Moisture
3. Purple Shampoo, Conditioner, and/or food coloring in leave in products.

Thats it.

1. DC weekly, alternating protein and moisture conditioners. You will need them BOTH for strength and elasticity.
2. Low heat reggie. Double processed hair is really fragile.
3. Stretch relaxers on color treated hair. Be SURE not to overlap the relaxer on color treated hair.

I have diffused my hair from black to dark blond from the crown forward and I've had no problems with it so far because I follow these rules.

I dyed my hair honey brown and black and got a regular relaxer three weeks later. WORST thing I've ever done to my hair! Its so overprocessed all it does is shed when dry and stretches till it breaks when wet.

Everyone reccommended Aphogee two step and the 2 minute reconstructor but those only help our for a few days and then I'm back to dry, limp, thinning, brittle hair.

I'm so not used to this my hair was originally soft and light. I would get so many compliments, now its just like ugh... LOL

I think I will cut an inch or so every other month and grow it out. Right now I have major new growth (very unhappy, dry new growth) and the summer heat is not loving it so I have no idea what to do with the two textures... I'm thinking a sew in every month Until I can manage the drama.

What are some good deep conditioners I can find in a store?

A sew in would protect it from daily wear and tear. That's a good idea.

What about ps for a while? You could co-wash every few days then bun it. I would recommend a style where you didn't have to comb it daily and it's not exposed to the elements.

Pretty sure i'm going to dye my hair. I guess I will go ahead and get my relaxer, and then color it from there after about a month.

I bleached my hair abt a month ago. I didnt go all the way up, just brought it to a pretty honey brown. But I haven't used heat except once for a wedding. Other than that I moisturize at least twice a day because I have fragile 3c hair that was bleached and it breaks at the thought of manipulation. I DC at least once a week. And I seal with an oil thats heavier. I use castor oil instead of jojoba. I also just incorporated oil rinsing to do a few days after my protein. Said all that to say...

I agree with the previous posters lol

My Top 3 would be:

1 Don't do Color & Relaxer in the same Process
2 Keep a Nice Balance of Protein & Moisture
3 Keep an eye on your Hair's Porosity

I was Over/Double/Triple Processed with Relaxer & Color and it took a Toll on My Hair, which resulted in Overly Porous Hair.

@Curlybeauty I'm really not sure? I don't think it was good for my hair to get a Relaxer and Color the same day. :sad:

And yes, it was Semi-Permanent, but those 2 Applications in one Appointment took a toll on my hair.:sad:

I was "addicted" to the Salon. Sometimes I would go twice a week. *i know* :perplexed

But I left the color alone and switched to Henna/Indigo when I joined LHCF (became a DIY'er) and never looked back.

@Curlybeauty I'm really not sure? I don't think it was good for my hair to get a Relaxer and Color the same day. :sad:

And yes, it was Semi-Permanent, but those 2 Applications in one Appointment took a toll on my hair.:sad:

I was "addicted" to the Salon. Sometimes I would go twice a week. *i know* :perplexed

But I left the color alone and switched to Henna/Indigo when I joined LHCF (became a DIY'er) and never looked back.

Oh no T, I was speaking in general. My hair could never handle both either.
And my hair handled color pretty well when I was going natural. It was that damn bleach that got me in the end :nono:

Oh no T, I was speaking in general. My hair could never handle both either.
And my hair handled color pretty well when I was going natural. It was that damn bleach that got me in the end :nono:

Gurl who you tellin'!:lol:

I've had Bleach, Peroxide and Ammonia before:lol: So, I feel you.

Not all in one process mind you, but before doing the Highlights thing.:spinning:

Name it I had it.:yep: It all finally caught up with me in '09 which led me here.:blush:

Back