Toot Toot, awwww Beep Beep! Tooting my own horn: My hair feature on Essence.com

Diva_Esq

Afrobella site creator, Patrice Grell Yursik, writes features for Essence.com's hair section on people's Natural Hair Diaries. Mine is the feature for today!! :yay:

http://www.essence.com/hair/hair_story/natural_hair_diary_shawntal_smith_attorn.php

Natural Hair Diary: Shawntal Smith, Attorney

Thursday, March 31, 2011 | 2:45 PM
by Patrice Grell Yursik

natural-hair4-475.jpg

In the latest installment of our weekly Natural [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Hair[/COLOR] Diary, Afrobella.com's Patrice Grell Yursik profiles Shawntal Smith, an attorney who, only a year ago, transitioned from a relaxed bob to super-cute, jet-black natural waves.​

Natural Woman: Shawntal Smith​

City: Omaha, Nebraska​

Occupation: Attorney, creator of a clothing line for naturals, Au Naturel Diva Apparel (www.aunatureldiva.etsy.com)​

Hair Journey: Shawntal's adventures in hair straightening began at age 13, when she got her first relaxer and wanted to fit in with the girls at her new school. "Had I known then the jewel I had in natural hair, I never would've begged my mom for that relaxer," she says. "But I wanted big girl styles, like Salt & Pepa."​

Shawntal regularly relaxed her hair from age 13 to age 32, and over time began to notice disastrous side effects. "I got compliments on my hair, but my scalp was a hot mess," she says. "The burning, itching, flaking, redness, tightness of the scalp and oozing scabs after touchups were unbearable. I asked my mom what my scalp and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]hair [COLOR=blue !important]texture[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] was like as a child, and she showed me pictures of me with long, thick wavy hair growing down my back. Meanwhile, I could barely my relaxed hair to arm-pit length because it kept breaking off.​

The first time Shawntal tried to transition, she had unrealistic expectations. "I thought my hair should behave like my [relaxed] hair did. I got frustrated when the summer heat reverted my straight styles back, so I relaxed my hair...I felt so defeated." A year later, she truly committed to going natural. "This time, I took the transition period as a time to really master my texture and enjoy the journey." It's been almost a year, and she's not looking back!​

Favorite Products: Joico Moisture Recovery Balm ($17, amazon.com), [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Herbal [COLOR=blue !important]Essence[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Hydralicious Conditioner ($3, target.com), Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Conditioner ($5, walmart.com), Shea Moisture Organic Curl-Enhancing Smoothie ($9.99, target.com), Mizani Coconut Souffle ($16.99, sleekhair.com) and to smooth edges, Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Water-based Wax ($3.76, amazon.com) or Eco Styler Clear Gel ($2.29, justbeautysupplies.com)​

Hair Icons: Diana Ross, Tracee Ellis Ross, Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott, Raven Symone, Journee Smollett, Essence Atkins​

Advice to Aspiring Naturals: "Do you! Go for it, draw confidence from within, and exude confidence and beauty regardless of what others think."​

Congratulations!!! Your hair is beautiful! :)

What a compliment from you! I friggin' LOVE your hair! It's beautiful as are you! :)

"Bad Girl..." I loved Donna Summer as a child!!!! Anyhoo, go you!! That's wonderful!!!! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Donna was the business! I'm with you on that! :D

Yay!!! Contgrats! Rep for us naturals...and you do it so well :grin:

Trying!! :) Thanks!

Awesome! And now I'm going to have that song in my head for the rest of the day.

Congrats girlie!

:dance7:

Lol, well jam on then! :)

THANKS EVERYONE!

How exciting, congrats!

I wonder if these features are in the print magazine!?

:look: Had to think...no, it's just an online feature! Who knows what it'll lead to! I'm thinking America's Next Top Natural Hair Model Season 1! :lachen::lachen::lachen: Ok, that was a reach! :D

Afrobella site creator, Patrice Grell Yursik, writes features for Essence.com's hair section on people's Natural Hair Diaries. Mine is the feature for today!! :yay:

http://www.essence.com/hair/hair_story/natural_hair_diary_shawntal_smith_attorn.php

Natural Hair Diary: Shawntal Smith, Attorney

Thursday, March 31, 2011 | 2:45 PM
by Patrice Grell Yursik

natural-hair4-475.jpg

In the latest installment of our weekly Natural [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Hair[/COLOR] Diary, Afrobella.com's Patrice Grell Yursik profiles Shawntal Smith, an attorney who, only a year ago, transitioned from a relaxed bob to super-cute, jet-black natural waves.​

Natural Woman: Shawntal Smith​

City: Omaha, Nebraska​

Occupation: Attorney, creator of a clothing line for naturals, Au Naturel Diva Apparel (www.aunatureldiva.etsy.com)​

Hair Journey: Shawntal's adventures in hair straightening began at age 13, when she got her first relaxer and wanted to fit in with the girls at her new school. "Had I known then the jewel I had in natural hair, I never would've begged my mom for that relaxer," she says. "But I wanted big girl styles, like Salt & Pepa."​

Shawntal regularly relaxed her hair from age 13 to age 32, and over time began to notice disastrous side effects. "I got compliments on my hair, but my scalp was a hot mess," she says. "The burning, itching, flaking, redness, tightness of the scalp and oozing scabs after touchups were unbearable. I asked my mom what my scalp and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]hair [COLOR=blue !important]texture[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] was like as a child, and she showed me pictures of me with long, thick wavy hair growing down my back. Meanwhile, I could barely my relaxed hair to arm-pit length because it kept breaking off.​

The first time Shawntal tried to transition, she had unrealistic expectations. "I thought my hair should behave like my [relaxed] hair did. I got frustrated when the summer heat reverted my straight styles back, so I relaxed my hair...I felt so defeated." A year later, she truly committed to going natural. "This time, I took the transition period as a time to really master my texture and enjoy the journey." It's been almost a year, and she's not looking back!​

Favorite Products: Joico Moisture Recovery Balm ($17, amazon.com), [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Herbal [COLOR=blue !important]Essence[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Hydralicious Conditioner ($3, target.com), Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Conditioner ($5, walmart.com), Shea Moisture Organic Curl-Enhancing Smoothie ($9.99, target.com), Mizani Coconut Souffle ($16.99, sleekhair.com) and to smooth edges, Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Water-based Wax ($3.76, amazon.com) or Eco Styler Clear Gel ($2.29, justbeautysupplies.com)​

Hair Icons: Diana Ross, Tracee Ellis Ross, Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott, Raven Symone, Journee Smollett, Essence Atkins​

Advice to Aspiring Naturals: "Do you! Go for it, draw confidence from within, and exude confidence and beauty regardless of what others think."​

Congratulations!!!!!!! Its nice to see the transitioning community is getting alot of press lately, you look great as well.

Back