Too much protein?

SailorWifey

I think I figured out why my hair is so dry lately. I think I may have protein overload.

These are the products I've been using weekly that I think are causing problems:

Silk Elements MegaSilk Olive Shampoo
Silk Elements Luxury Moisturizing Conitioner
Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol Conditioning Treatment
Chi Keratin Mist

Do you think it's protein overload? If so, I know I need to Moisturize the heck out of my hair in order to combat this, but I can't go buy any new products right now because I don't have any money.

I have a trial size bottle of BioSilk Thickening Shampoo? Is this ok or does this contain protein too? If it's not ok can I add baking soda to Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner to wash my hair? I also don't have any other deep conditioner so is there anything else I can do? I have Cayenne Oil on my castor oil in my hair b/c I decided to do a hot oil treatment on my dry hair this morning before I thought to look into why my hair is so gross lately. Is this ok? I just really need some advice...thanks!

Do we have a mentoring program on here??? LOL I swear I need a hair mentor.

ETA...I just want my hair to look like this again

may030a-2.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't put baking soda in your hair. It is bad for the hair, all hair. Scientifically proven. I think you should try correcting it with a moisturizing conditioner. If you can't afford one, I really do suggest mashing up a banana and some avocado. Those are cheap. Banana only has 1 g of protein which isn't bad, and more moisturizing than anything. You really have to whip it up correctly though so there's no chunks. As well as adding some honey and oil if you've got it. And use that to deep condition. Oil alone in hot oil treatments =/= moisture.

How often do you deep condition? You already own a moisturizing DC - the Silk Elements Moisturizing Conditioner - I think you should deep condition with that with heat for about 30 minutes and see if it helps.

What kind of leave-in are you using besides the Chi Keratin Mist? You need a hair milk or some kind of creamy leave-in so your hair can dry soft and moisturized. Actually, how do you style your hair after washing? If you're blowdrying and/or flat-ironing, that can lead to dryness. I always try to look at my techniques first, then figure out my products. Many "protein" products are also very moisturizing, like Aveda Damage Remedy.

I use Suave sometimes to co-wash, but I'm going to stop using such a cheap product. I don't think it has many moisturizing ingredients. I'm not familiar with Cayenne oil or any BioSilk products besides their drying, alcohol-laden serum. The baking soda thing...a lot of naturals do that, but there has been a backlash against it.

Maybe the Silk Elements line is not agreeing with your hair. I prefer the GVP line at sallys. I know this means buy more stuff but Im relaxed and my hair didnt like the Silk Elements line so I returned it. Or you can buy one of those 99cents treatment packs and do a DC.

I agree with krissyprissy, the Silk Elements line may not be for you (I know it wasn't for me, not really, as an in-shower conditioner it was fine but for more than that...eh). Chi Keratin Mist does contain protein but it's a good protein, the kind that should help you with maintaining your protein/moisture balance (wheat protein) as well as silk amino acids to help with softness. I believe the key is to spray it on before your moisturizer. I don't have many tips about the rest of your products because I'm not well informed on silk elements but I'd recommend not using baking soda.

Good luck!

Back