Too dependent on Dominican salons

kking7777

I found a Dominican salon in November of last year, here in Chicago and I fell in love. I can't possibly get my hair this straight without major heat and oil. The only problem is I am so dependent on them every 2 weeks, I wanted to know if any of you ladies have this same problem? What do you do?

I just wanted to say hello
wave.gif
I haven't "seen" you in a while.

If you found a stylist who can help you achieve your goals and can afford to go that often, I say go for it.
smile.gif
I know I would be afarid to try a Dominican blowout at home...

where's this salon? and if you don't mind sharing, how much does it cost for a wash n set, and for a relaxer...do they use their own relaxer or can u bring your own?
TIA

Hey ladies,

I have a comment to make. I have been holding out for a while but I feel I need to speak. I am originally from NYC and Dominican salons have been around for about 20 years. Now granted alot of Harlem girls got their manes from going, due to the roller sets which are safer than blowing and curling with curling irons. But when I use to go I insisted on when the rollers came out they just wrap it, no blowing.
Why? Because that heat is TOO HOT and the pulling on the hair can not possibly be good. Well as usual time tells - and i have girlfriends who were dependant on them every 2 weeks or every week. But they got the blow out. After a while their hair became whisper thin, the longer it grew out.
So I have always found the blow out technique to be dangerous plus the brushes have evrybody's hair in it. That lets you know they are literally blowing your hair out!!
I have also been to some where the hood dryer was too hot and the first layer of your hair gets over heated. The dryer should be on cool to warm, but that would take longer and they want to rush you out. Also pay attention to how much leave in they use ( they try to skimp) and make sure they comb it thoroughly through your hair for protection. I use to bring my own conditioner because they were using a rinse not a conditioner and it was watered down.
I hate to rain on the parade but I was feeling guilty not speaking up.
But on the good note Dominican products are the best. I have used them for years, in the Bronx they are so easy to get. The wheat germ conditioner leaves you hair SO SHINY!!!

JerseyJill,
What is the name of the wheat germ conditioner that you use?
Which company makes it? Which Dominican products do you like the most?

how coincidental!!!! i was JUST thinking about you, kking!! i was going to post, asking if you were still going? and her you are posting. i am bootleg because i'm the one that told you to go there and i STILL havent't been!

JJ is probably referring to the Salerm Wheat Germ Mask that folks rave about....where's Tracy?

Anyway, I agree w/ JJill...these salons are fabulous but we still have to be cognizant of what is good and bad for our hair. When I go to Herman, I get a rollerset and wrap. I only have him blow out the curls after a touch up when I wanna check the length. I wash and condition my own hair in between visits so at least I pay attention to the health of my hair somewhat....

I totally agree with what you said jersey! I admit though that i go to maintain a "look" when i want to have that straight bouncy thang going on.
I do try to space out my visits though and get trims. I don't think dominican styling is the best if you want your hair to grow a significant amount. I am happy with trimming my hair every 6 weeks and keeping it at its current length so i don't worry about having see through ends or keeping damaged hair on my head because i get it chopped frequently.

I also bring my own conditioner and try to avoid getting my roots blown all the time.

I can count the number of times I've gone to a Dominican salon on one hand.
frown.gif
However, if I had the time, I would go more often (for roller sets and wraps).

I don't see anything wrong with you going every 2 weeks. I go EVERY week. My hair I feel has not suffered from this. The key is to only let them blow your roots. Otherwise I think it can be very damaging to your hair. I only let them blow the whole head if I am going someplace immediately afterward otherwise I just leave with my hair wrapped. In the long run I think the Dominican salons help with my hair growth because that is the only heat I need on my hair. I NEVER curl my hair with a curling iron and haven't for years. I just wrap my hair every night and comb it out in the morning.

I also bring my own shampoo, deep conditioner and leave in. I don't believe that they use good products on your hair and the shampoo and conditioner are watered down. All I see in the salon are black women with gorgeous LONG hair. I think it depends on your hair type. My hair is naturally thin and I don't think this has made it any thinner although I did notice when I was letting them blow my hair to the ends then I saw some thinness but since then I have stopped that and only let them do the roots.

I've been thinking about this "blowing the roots straight" technique, and to me it sounds like it is not a good idea because when it's done your hair is dry from sitting under the dryer. In essence they are using a blow dryer on dry hair, further drying it. That's just my feelings though. I've never had it done, I don't even think there are any Dominican salons out here in Northern CA.

Yes they are blowing it while it is dry but I have them but oil on my hair first before they do anything so I think that helps it some. But like I said it depends on your hair type. This may not work for everyone but I have seen only positive results from it especially I think because it is only done once a week or every 2 weeks and no other heat is used on your hair in between.

Well thank you ladies for your responses, I think $30.00 every 2 weeks or once a month is not bad and I perm my own hair every 3 months or so. As far as the long term thinning of hair, I have not noticed a difference but I would like to cut down to just once a month for salon visits and then wear my hair up for the rest of the month.

[ QUOTE ]
lunalight7 said:
JJ is probably referring to the Salerm Wheat Germ Mask that folks rave about....where's Tracy?

Anyway, I agree w/ JJill...these salons are fabulous but we still have to be cognizant of what is good and bad for our hair. When I go to Herman, I get a rollerset and wrap. I only have him blow out the curls after a touch up when I wanna check the length. I wash and condition my own hair in between visits so at least I pay attention to the health of my hair somewhat....

[/ QUOTE ]

Aqui, aqui...
grin.gif

I like the wheat germ conds too. The Salerm version is the best I think, but Yoriel makes a good one too.

I agree that anything in excess is no good. But I thnk going every 2 weeks and getting a blow out should be fine. I've been going to a Dom. salon for more than 6 years now - no problems. I don't blow everytime though. But that's my hair. I know it and I know it can't take weekly blowouts.

I'm also addicted - esp since my hair is now at a length where it's no picnic to rollerset on my own. I just suck it up and go. My place has a deal where you can wash and deep condition yourself at home and just let them rinse the conditioner when I arrive at the salon. It's 9 bucks when you do it that way. Perhaps your salon will do the same Kking? it may not be $9 (the normal price is $15) but it may be less that what you normally pay. And you get to leave that conditioner in as long as you like.

Can't hurt to ask.
grin.gif

the dominican salons around my area all charge $25 for a wash, condition, set, and blow-out. I was thinking I have pretty good products and i could wash my hair on it's own condition it then just go in for the set, and blow out. one salon told me she'd cut the price to $20 the other $18.
I was wondering do their products work hand and hand to get your hair to come out so straight or should my products be good enough to get the same results.

offthechainliz, the products don't work hand in hand. You can use your own products and get the same results. Its all in their styling technique so your products will work the same as theirs. and since you are probably using a better brand than they will then it will benefit you to bring your own products anyway. That's what I do.

ok, cause I was kinda thinking maybe I should just pay the extra $5-8 to get the full benefits. but if their products aren't any better then mine then guess I should save my money and be able to deep condition as long as I want. especially considering all the heat but, I hear so many good things about dominican products that's why I was a bit hesitant.

Well you know what, go to the salon and see what products they are using. Because the salon I go to does not use salerm or many of the dominican products mentioned on this board. They do use 10 in 1 and I think that is a dominican product so just check it out and see. If you you don't like what they are using then bring your own when you go.

what is the name of the salon and where is it located?

I am really intrigued with the experiences of the ladies in NYC and their experiences with the Dominican hairdressers.

I thought I had to go to NYC to experience their method of doing hair. Please share with me the info.
smile.gif

Sundayschild, you are in Chicago? I don't think there are any in Chicago. When I lived there I went to Egyptians who achieved the same end result as the dominicans but used a different method. I used to go to Ossammas. You can look it up in the phone book.

The poster that started the thread is in Chicago. Sundayschild you may want to look on the Salon Review Discussion Board for more info also.

Hiii Ladies,

Well Ive been an avid salerm wheat germ oil mask user. Well, It seemed like I used up the whole jar in like nooo time. Plus, I noticed they werent kidding when they said EXTREMELY DRY HAIR. My hair is normal but I usually buy the products designed for dry hair because my hair is relaxed. But I started noticing that the product is Sooo damn good that like 2 days later sometimes the next day my hair would feel a bit limp. It looked nice, and felt soft and smooth but I like big, hair w/ lots of volume and it started dragging my style. So I bought the joriel version which is a very good product as well. I would definitely recommend the salerm version for those ladies out there who cant combat dryness or their hair needs some deep moisture recovery. But for those who have pretty normal healthy hair, save a few bucks and buy the joriel version.

Just givin my 2 cents

HTH

[ QUOTE ]
sundayschild said:
what is the name of the salon and where is it located?

I am really intrigued with the experiences of the ladies in NYC and their experiences with the Dominican hairdressers.

I thought I had to go to NYC to experience their method of doing hair. Please share with me the info.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sundayschild,

the salon is in chicago. it is called Ella y El.
3520 West Armitage Avenue, Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 278-7619
i knew a girl that went there and i suggested it to kking. i still haven't made it there yet. you should probably ask kking who styles her there.

Oops I have a correction. The brand of the conditioner is Noruel not Joriel. Also Im not givin up w/ my salerm just reducing the use to its recommended dose of i think like once a month for normal hair.

thanks Wolftrap, I think I'll let her use her products first then look at the condition of my hair before she roller sets it. If it doesn't look better then when I do it my self I bring my own products next time.

Back