Tokyo

cocoberry10

Hi Ladies:

One of my girls moved to Tokyo and will be there for the next year, and she is losing her mind on how to take care of her hair. She said there is no one to do hair out there, and she is wondering if there is anyone who does hair out there. Also, she is having a difficult time with the food. I figured, since my LHCF ladies know so much about everything, someone could probably give survival tips for Japan (since she is a Black woman living in a foreign place). Thanks!

That's a tough one. I've know a few black friends that have been to/lived in Japan for an extended amount of time and they've gotten braids before they went to make it a little easier on them.

There is virtually no avenue for black hair in Asian countries. I figure most people order their products and have it shipped the them. However, among Japanese youths there is a hip hop trend and a culture called ganguro. They tend to get braided styles like cornrows. Check out this forum:

"DelMonte" in Harajuku, down take$hita dori.Great establishment and cheap. But why come to a Japan with one of the most complex hairstyle? Japanese hair not like foreign hair - so difficult to do Rows. That is why most establishments will charge an arm and a leg. Look for the Nigerian fellow with the Rows! He be a rasta man!"

http://www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=18570

I've also heard that they do braids in Shibuya. I'm not sure if that's in Tokyo or a sort of subdivision of Tokyo. But I hope that helped just a little bit.

Last edited:
There are a lot of military bases on the mainland. One of my girls lives there (she's in Misawa though), and I will try to get some info from her. But her stylist is leaving, so she's in the same situation as your friend.

One of my sisters Katya is always in Japan and speak japanese i m ask her to list people and places for you as soon as i get a hold of her.i m get info for you and get back

I have two friends in Japan right now, so I'll ask them and get back to you. Does she speak Japanese?

I lived in Japan over the summer in 1999 and while they do have braiders out there, I found it best to maintain my own hair. At that time I just rocked a big fro (which the locals loved!) and since Japan is really hot and humid, my hair stayed moisturized. Your friend might be able to find someone to braid her hair (as they rock braids, cornrows, and locs over there like crazy) but it will probably be real expensive and I just wouldn't trust it. Japanese hair is its own unique type.

In terms of food--can't say much about that. The Japanese diet is what it is. It's much more balanced than an American diet. While I was there I lost 15 pounds without even trying. I'm sure your friend notices all of the American fast food chains over there--she can always eat that stuff. Most locals frequent soba noodle houses for "fast food"--it's cheap and good, a more authentic, healthier version of Cup of Noodles. If she isn't sushi eater, and more of a meat eater, advise her to look for Yakiniku houses-yakiniku is best described as Japanese barbeque. She can have her fill of fresh meats and veggies there. Other than that its tempura and sushi houses. She'll also find plenty of options at the grocery store. Tokyo is known for its fresh fish--she might consider adopting the Japanese diet for awhile. She'll definitely return to the States a healthier person.

HTH!

I travel alot, and the last time I traveled I put my hair in a ponitail most of the time cause I could not find anything for black hair. I think that this might really help her. If she does not mind taking care of her own hair here are some tips for her

-She can get some carouso rollers, cause they are dual voltage and relativly heat/damage free
- and a hair dryer attachemnent made by gold hot, to create her own soft bonnet dryer. She could probaly use this to deep condition
- she could also get a dual voltage flat iron
- as for hair products, I think that you might have to ship her some of the basic things like conditioners and moisturizers,magnetic rollers, clips if she did not already bring them with her.
- she could rollerset her hair under the soft bonnet dryer attachement.
If she has absolutly nothing, you could mail her some of this stuff,or find someone going to japan that you both know to take it to her I am sure that she would really appreciate it.

here is a link to the hair dryer attachement site, I am definatly buying one of these and roller setting my hair while connecting it to a locally bought hair dryer that fits. So that the next time I travel, I can get a decent rollerset at home. http://store.imperialsales.net/9477.html

Hey girl, i m back i spoke to my sister Katya she told me to tell you to go to the black neighborhood in Tokyo and ask there and even look around. The black neighborhood is called Ropoongi hope it helps.:)

Thanks Ladies. I'll be talking to her tomorrow (Sunday for them, Saturday for us). I will tell her all the info!

Hello! I went to Japan and had so much fun. There are four military bases in Tokyo alone so she can just walk around one and ask. Braiders outside the military bases cost too much money ($400 a head). I had braids out there and did the crown and glory method. Good luck to the both of you.

Well knowing a couple of people in the military has taught me a lot, especially when they travel overseas. I really don't know the extent of your friend's move to Tokyo, however, she will definitely have to learn how to self relax and look from some of her own in the midst of it all and make some connections somehow (if she is is the military she may have an upperhand with finding someone who could do hair on the side) HTH.

Back