To the Naturals and Transitioners...I have a question

shellzfoshizzle

This is my first time transitioning (I'm in the beginning stages...from relaxed to natural) and I have been on here reading all weekend and looking at naturals albums. Some of you ladies have awesome hair!

I just washed my hair and did a rollerset (air dry) and then wrapped it with my scarf. I think this will be my main style until the newgrowth starts to get really obvious and then I will start getting twists or a straw set.

I normally put oil on my hair and sometimes I will put a little grease on my scalp about 2x a week. My question is should I continue to "grease" or oil my scalp with the newgrowth? I know moisture and conditioning is key here, but I never hear any naturals saying that they grease their scalp....

Thanks.

I don't see anything wrong w. oiling your scalp. I don't use grease though. But if it works for you, then do your thing.:) I have always oiled my scalp and will continue to do so. :yep:

I don't grease my scalp, but I know there are some folks that do--if a routine is working for your hair, I don't see why you should stop (with the caveat that you shouldn't grease your scalp with mineral oil or petroleum based products unless you know for sure your scalp "thrives" of it). I do use a couple of grease products on my hair--and one does some mineral jelly (that's why I don't use it on my scalp).

I don't grease my scalp, but I co-wash every other day and give myself a scalp massage with WGO. Other than WGO and shea butter, my hair and scalp HATE oil.

i don't use greast but i agree that if it's working for you, keep on doing it. but i would stay away from "grease" with petros and mineral personally. there are several natural products that act and feel like grease texture wise, but have better ingredients. The main one that comes to mind is Asha's Sun Kissed...it smells like fruity candy too :D You could also use natural oils. unrefined coconut oil is great.

all summer i used grease on my scalp....first for growth but i did notice it softens my new growth...i need somethin thick on my new growth to prevent it from tangling and gettin dry...this is why i cant keep my twists in longer than 2 weeks before re-doing them which im currently doing for the fall...i am not able to use grease with the twists in...so i am use other stuff which isnt thick at all...

petro and mineral oil doesnt hurt me very much...unlike i thought for years..after being told by a doctor that it causes my hair to flake from smothering...its not that for me...its reactions to ingredients in different products....one main one would be shampoo for me...recently the old formula of surge too...

but at any rate...if u like grease...roll with it

I think it really depends on you and your hair. I use oil on my scalp, but I use creme press on my ends, I think items with petroleum coat my ends better than oil. HTH!

Yeah, ITA with the others. It all depends on your hair and what's working for you. However, I can tell you, pay close attention, because some products you were using while your hair was relaxed may not work for your natural hair.

I'm about 32 weeks post and currently 'greasing' my scalp with a mix of sulphur 8 and shea butter(just trying to jumpstart some growth).

hth

~op~

The only thing I noticed about pomades and moisturizers was that I had to switch from creamy water based moisturizers to actual oils. The creamy ones made my roots poof and at the time I was still trying to maintain straight styles. I've never been a consistent scalp greaser, a jar of grease will last me five years or more, but when I did do it, I used to do it while my hair was wet so I could use less. I HATE greasy hair. If you cant touch it I dont want it.

I oiled my scalp with WGO when I was transitioning. It helped with the soreness that would set in, especially at the beginning of my trans. If you are going to be doing straighter styles then sticking with just the oil would be the best thing.

SilkyandSmooth said:
I don't use grease at all. All I do is put some Coconut Oil on my hair every time I wash it, and that's twice a week.

Okay I recently discoverd Coconut oil also, and it is GREAT.

I don't use grease but I do put oil on my hair and coconut keeps it very soft.

On my scalp I use MTG and OYin whipped pudding which has shea butter in it.

ok thanks ladies for the responses...i've never been a regular fan of grease and like someone said, a jar of grease will last me for ages... (also cause I'm a pj).

I think I will stick to oil. I think I am going to order me some MTG or just buy some more WGO.

Back