To Moisturize or To Protein

larry3344

I am having a hard time determining whether a conditioner is moisturizing or not (protein) unless it says in the name. Unfortunately it doesn't always say...so my question how do you know if a conditionner is a moisturizing or a protein conditioner? I am currently look at three sites: avalonorganics.com, jason-natural.com and aubreyorganics.com and I can't seem to figure it out, can someone please help me figure out which conditioners are protein and which are moisturizing, I know its a lot of work and I would greatly appreciate it. I also realize that just because a conditionner has protein in it, it doesn't necessarily mean its a protein conditioner...please I've been trying to figure that out for a long time now and I can't get the hang of it. BTW I just found out that miss key 10 en 1 condish that I've been using weekly for my dc is a protein conditioner. PLEASE HELP!!!:perplexed:nono:

P.S: I'd like to try the silicon mix because there was a lot of good reviews for it, especially form naturals but I don't know if its a protein or moisture.

It's hard to help you if you don't atleast tell us which products you are looking at. The only way to find out is to read the ingredients. Some key words for proteins are keratin, collagen, wheat protein..and the list goes on. Silicone mix for example has keratin in it, but it's toward the bottom so its more of a mosturizing con w/ a mild protein. List some of the conditioners you are looking at, I'm sure some of the laddies will chime in. There is a thread with the different names for proteins if you do a search. HTH

Some moisturizing products have protein in them, too, to help the moisture penetrate and remain in the hair, so just looking at the ingredients won't help universally for every product. Sometimes you just have to go by how the product affects your hair.

Also, it's best if you just look at the description of the stuff on the package and go by what the product says it will do and if your hair meets that need, not by whether it's a protein or moisture. That's less stressful, IMO

Most protein-based conditioners would have keratin, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein, or any combination of these words in it but they would be very high up on the ingredients list, I'd say in the first 5 ingredients. Although, some of these proteins are mild - like hydrolyzed wheat protein and silk amino acids. Keratins are pretty hard core type proteins that really strengthen and rebuild the hair.

If the proteins are way down the ingredients list then the conditioner can be a crossover of both moisturizing and protein-based. I like products like this for my relaxed fine hair because we relaxed heads need more protein on our hair because of the chemical breakdown caused by relaxers. Even aloe barbedensis is a moderate to hardcore protein.

There are some more scientific names for proteins out there that I am not too familiar with but really watch how a product affects your hair. If it's hard and feel a little strong, then that would be a protein-based conditioner and if it leaves your hair feeling nice and soft, then it has more moisture in it. But in any event, keep the moisture and protein balanced as best you can.

I think that you need the mixture of both. You have to find the right balance between the two. For me, I pree-poo with a protein and shampoo and condish with a moisturizer.

Back