To Highlight Or Not Highlight ?

canela

This is my 1st time posting and I am a little unsure, but.... Here is my situation. I currently have natural hair. (I think) I have a applied a perm only to the new growth (no lye) back in January, and before then maybe a year ago, who really knows it is not often. I normally press my hair. It has finally gotten in a really good condition and is growing. I think it longer than it has ever been, (except when I was pregnant).
<font color="blue"> </font> This is my problem should I highlight my medium reddish brown hair with some highlights, because I want them, but I am seriously afraid it will break. By the way I no longer have been seeing a beautician for the last 8 months, and I have noticed that my hair is now healthier. Another concern was should I just let a professional colourist highlight it.
<font color="red"> </font> I just do not want any breakage or damaged ends and have to start all over again.
swordfight.gif

<font color="orange"> </font> Help. Apologize for the long story.

Welcome, Canela!

I have 4a hair that is relaxed and highlighted w/bleach. I know that this is considered to be a no-no, but so far, my stylist and I have managed to avoid damage and breakage. I started off w/ just a few highlights to see how it would react. I re-do them every 6 months or so to give my hair time to gain moisture and strength. I hate to tell you to do them in case something bad happens, but Im just sharing my experience. It seems as if your hair has gone thru a few changes...perm, natural, pressed, etc. Perhaps wait a bit before highlighting to insure that your hair is well moisturized and strong in the relaxer. Just as it is possible to have healthy relaxed hair, it is probably possible to have healthy relaxed and colored hair as long as you care for it diligently. Just remember that with each chemical process, your hair will be weaker and drier...HTH (Hope this helps)....jus

Thanks for the advice. I seem to be confused, on what I should be doing. My hair is natually curly wavy,I like to wear it straight that is why I press it. I am now skeptical of relaxers, and color, because it tends to get damaged. Pressing or flat ironing seems to work for me.
So basically if I did highlight my hair, it would have to be touched up it seems,so,maybe I will wait, I just wanted highlights for the summer. Just bored with my hair natural color.

I have relaxed 4a/b hair. My natural color is Sandy Brown with a natural blond streak. I've always thought it was cool so several years ago I started highlighting my entire head. I redo them every 6-7 months. Like you, since I've been caring for my own hair, it has been the healthiest that I have seen since my mother stopped caring for it. I only have normal shedding right now. I make sure that my hair stays moisturized.

HTH.
TsAngel

Hi Canela,
I have relaxed, highlighted hair. I thought the posts below would help you. They are from Tracy, another LHCF member and hair color guru
notworthy.gif
. Her tips helped significantly in keeping my hair looking great - even the people at the salon were amazed. It was only when I strayed from this advice (pure laziness, lol) that I got in trouble. I hope you find the posts below as helpful as I did:

<font color="blue">Hey Nyambura!

The ACV rinses should stll be fine. Color raises the cuticle some which can result in damage - and ACV rinses smooth the hair (as well as regulate the scalp) because they help CLOSE the cuticle and that should help correct the structure of the hair post-color.

When they do the highlights, make sure they don't leave the solution on too long (don't go platinum girl! )and be sure to condition, condition, condition. Also consider adding a rinse like Jazzing or Sebastian (the latter is my preference) to add shine, further protect, and seal the culticle more. I choose a shade that complements the color I have - so if the highlights come out a sandy blond for instance - Sebastian's Honey Wheat or Glorious Gold will be a good choice.

Also, this is the time to be really diligent about regular (every week) protein treatments followed by moisture and oiling the highlights as well.

Oh one last thing - make sure they do the highlights two weeks AFTER they give you your touch up. Not before. That's important too. It can be a little longer after but you should wait 8 weeks until your next relaxer.

Let me know how it goes hon!

Member posted September 08, 2002 12:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think we are officially hair twins Nyambura...
smile.gif

Most of my regimen is in my signature (note to self: must shorten signature - takes up WAY too much space - specially if my posta are gonna be so dang long! )

But here are the higlights (no pun intended! ):

Wash hair 2x times per week with a non-stripping shampoo (I'm using Just Long Hair by the Roberts Group right now.) One for color treated hair or a natural based shampoo should be fine.

Focus on Moisture - Feria Color Conditioner, Dominican 10 in 1 Conditioner or Kerastase Maquintense are all great moisturizing Conditioners. for something a little less expensive I go with Herbal Essences Intensive Blends. Keep doing the preshampoos. Anything that adds moisture and pliability to the hair is a plus. Brittleness and dryness are the biggest problems with color treated hair.

Replenish protein robbed by the relaxer/color double whammy once every two weeks. I did it weekly when I first got my color - HI PRO PAC and Sebastian 2+1 are my favs.

More important than ever before - NO HEAT. Roller sets and updos are a staple for me now. I NEVER pull out my curling or flat irons. No matter what. I'd rather re-wash and set if I need a fresh look then touch up with heat. It's a lot of work but I prefer it. I STILL WANT LONG HAIR!!! :P

Make SURE you use a Mild relaxer (you already do this). Use what's been working... Don't switch. Take it from me.

Use a leave in without fail - I use Motions Nourishing Leave In. Elucuence is good as a leave in on fine hair too.

S-T-R-E-E-E-T-C-H those relaxers. It's more important than ever to make sure the overlapping is minimized because you'll be overlapping both previously relaxed AND colored hair. NOTE: if you recently had your highlights done, consider waiting at LEAST 6 weeks before applying your next relaxer. Try to make it two months. It makes all the difference as far as keeping the highlighted hair as healthy as possible from root to tip.

Consider a gloss - it helps with the appearance of the hair while you restore the moisture levels with your conditioners, oils and moisturizers. I like Adore (thanks London Diva ) or Sebastian. Choose a shade that brings out your highlights as opposed to covering them. Note that your processed hair will absorb more color which can result in darker than intended results. To be certain you get what you want, find the shade you like and choose the one that is one shade LIGHTER than that. The non-highlighted hair will take on a gleamy shine and the highlighted hair will look healthier and resist splitting. The gloss gives it some protection agaisnt daily wear and tear.

Oil those ends (the highlights themselves too!) girl. And oil them some more. Jojoba is nice on fine hair - you can oil away with minimal weight and build up.

So what color did they come out? Did they use color, or bleach - or something else? Do you love them?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Length: 1' past shoulders. Cheek to chin length in front. (Roughly 12' from the middle part to its longest point in the back).

Goal: ALAP (As long as possible ) First goal 24 inches from middle part to longest point in back.

Chemical Processing:
Relaxer: Mild Lye every 3 months. Next planned relaxer: October 15 or so. Trying to go longer, but watching the color carefully to avoid breakage.

Color: Sebastian Colorshines in Gleaming Copper once every 6 weeks.

Trims: Only if needed every other relaxer.
Next planned trim - December 15, 2002, two relaxers from now.

Maintenance:
Pre-shampoo: Olive Oil or Special Oil Treatment at salon
S&amp;C: Herbal Essences Fruit Fusions

Deep Conditioner:
Feria
Rusk Moist
UAN Crema
Kerastase Maquintense
Herbal Essences Intensive Blends

Protein Conditioner:
Sebastian </font>

Because I really wanted the highlights to pop, I used Herbal Essence Highlighting kit. I didn't use the comb thingy. I pulled my hair through a frosting cap.
But normally I use Karizma which is a great product in my opinion.
hth
TsAngel

Back