To Capture Our Wet Hair Look: Collective Ideas

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hello, beautiful peoples of LHCF.

I don't know about you, but when I look at my wet hair, I think, "GORGEOUS!" Though I am learning to embrace my super-serious shrinkage by improving my styling of it, I still want to work on capturing my wet hair's look.

How do you do it? Please share your relevant techniques, strategies, advice, product recommendations, video demos and tutorials, etc.

Happy styling!

Hello! :wave:

My hair stylist is amazing. When she gives me a wash-and-go, my hair is shiny, defined, long, moisturized . . . I don't how she does and I study her like a hawk!

I recently came across an article discussing a method to capture one's wet hair look, called the "Rake and Shake" method.

Does anyone do this or a modified version? If so, how does it fare for you? I'll link the article and embed the video below.

-------------------

"MY HAIR LOOKS SO GOOD WHEN IT'S WET"... HERE'S HOW TO MAKE THAT LAST
BY: CHRISTINA PATRICE 8.12.15

Last edited:
I haven't watched yet either but what I do is stretch and smooth on soaking wet hair, and airdry. My hair is a too fine to rake- I'll just end up snapping strands. So I pull my hair taut (but gently) from the roots, and smooth gel on in small sections. This avoids matting/ webbing at the roots. I repeatedly stretch and smooth the section with (plenty) gel, until clumps form. I tease apart larger clumps while wet. I get quite a bit of hangtime with this method. For me, the product (KCCC) helps a great deal too as I've tried other gels using the same method, and got crispy shrunken results if my hair wasn't a fan.

It's a long-ish video, but in addition to the Ouidad RakeNShake, I like Dickey's method.
My WnGs all look different depending on the technique.

I came to say Dickeys method is the truth. This is the only way I do wash and gos. Don't do them much anymore but my hair looks exactly the same once dried. It's true that we funny use enough product. Enough product solves a lot of the problems we complain about. More conditioner is key.

I came to say Dickeys method is the truth. This is the only way I do wash and gos. Don't do them much anymore but my hair looks exactly the same once dried. It's true that we funny use enough product. Enough product solves a lot of the problems we complain about. More conditioner is key.

And you sat under a dryer and what not?

Today I did the ADM (Anthony Dickey Method) using LOOOOOOOOTS of Giovanni Direct leave-in and a good amount of Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker gel. It's air drying now. I think it has less shrinkage than normal, which means fewer tangles!

I meant to say products and technique give different results for me. The main differences with RnS over ADM is I get more definition(maybe 24-30% more), longer lasting (3-8 days longer with/without refreshing), fewer tangles (up to 40% fewer--- estimated by less detangling time during my next wash).
My hair is fine and dense, so ADM is much faster (up to 75% faster) in terms of applying product and styling; ADM can take a lot more product, but it depends on the products. Good quality products (I like the Quench line) require less but cheaper products tend to require a lot more, for instance if I use V05, I will need to use half to 75% of the bottle for one WnG (versus maybe 1/4 cup for Quench). Also, my experience has been the more product I have to use, regardless of quality, the longer my hair takes to dry.
I'm not a fan of blow/hood drying any style that isn't stretched. My curly hair tends to get crispy with even low external heat, no matter the products I use.

I tried to attach a few examples of my first day hair using different products and techniques

@kxlot79 what are some differences in your results from the rake n shake vs the Anthony Dickey Method?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 55
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image7.JPG
    image7.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Lately I've done this with great results and some fewer tangles, but tangles still.

I saturate my hair with leave-in section by section using the praying hands method.

I flash my head under the shower water and let the water and gravity and steam elongate my hair and further disperse product.

I apply gel section by section on SOAKING wet hair using the praying hands method.

I diffuse and stretch.

I can't stop staring at my hair. Gorgeous 4a fro. So much definition. Coily spirals all over. Pictures do no justice.

I need to figure out what exactly to do at night to reduce tangles yet not do a lot of manipulation of my fine strands. I'm going to try chunky twisting and stretching the twists around my head with bobby pins.

I'll time myself. I need it to take 30 minutes max or I know myself: I'll stop doing it.

Please click if you want the photo enlarged
WP_20161017_007.jpg

I completely forgot about the Maximum Hydration Method. I think there were a couple of threads on here on MHM. I really liked my results with MHM but ultimately abandoned it because of all the dang steps and it took so much time. Plus, it actually kinda altered my normal wet hair look--- much more defined, clumped and elongated.
But I ran across this video and thought about this thread. Makes me wanna give MHM another try. Then again, I'm not too sure if it counts as MHM just because she uses clay?
I will say clay in the prep stages is one of my all time favorite products for amazing WnGs

I completely forgot about the Maximum Hydration Method. I think there were a couple of threads on here on MHM. I really liked my results with MHM but ultimately abandoned it because of all the dang steps and it took so much time. Plus, it actually kinda altered my normal wet hair look--- much more defined, clumped and elongated.
But I ran across this video and thought about this thread. Makes me wanna give MHM another try. Then again, I'm not too sure if it counts as MHM just because she uses clay?
I will say clay in the prep stages is one of my all time favorite products for amazing WnGs

Cosigning! MHM works well, I used bentonite clay when I did mine.
I abandoned it for the same reason as you sis, all the steps took too long... also, I had too many tangles to undo before the mhm and winter was around the corner so I jumped ship.

Cosigning! MHM works well, I used bentonite clay when I did mine.
I abandoned it for the same reason as you sis, all the steps took too long... also, I had too many tangles to undo before the mhm and winter was around the corner so I jumped ship.

Thanks for sharing.

I keep thinking that if I can capture my wet hair look . . . while it is elongated and before it shrinks and tangles . . . then I can reduce the knots and later resultant hair loss.

I still get a lot of shrinkage and a lot of knots. I've conceded: My 4a, fine, dense hair just likes to shrink and tangle when it is in its natural state. To avoid tangles, I'll have to straighten my hair.

I do love the moisture and hydration that comes with the MHM! I looooooove clay.

You got tangles even with MHM? That's surprising! Were you using the original MHM approved products or alternatives?
Also, do you know your porosity? My hair is fine, 4a, and dense too but I had the least tangling with MHM. I mean 8 days later and few to no tangles at all... also, how were you preserving your hair?

Thanks for sharing.

I keep thinking that if I can capture my wet hair look . . . while it is elongated and before it shrinks and tangles . . . then I can reduce the knots and later resultant hair loss.

I still get a lot of shrinkage and a lot of knots. I've conceded: My 4a, fine, dense hair just likes to shrink and tangle when it is in its natural state. To avoid tangles, I'll have to straighten my hair.

I do love the moisture and hydration that comes with the MHM! I looooooove clay.

You got tangles even with MHM? That's surprising! Were you using the original MHM approved products or alternatives?
Also, do you know your porosity? My hair is fine, 4a, and dense too but I had the least tangling with MHM. I mean 8 days later and few to no tangles at all... also, how were you preserving your hair?

Hi, @kxlot79

Thanks for asking.

I was using alternative products. A line designed for the MHM. It wasn't very good, though, I'll admit.
My hair is naturally highly porous.

If you think it's possible to NOT have tangles with MHM, then I'll try it with the originally-suggested MHM products. I cannot imagine this hair NOT tangling. Sounds impossible. :smile:

There's a recent detangling thread on here. I thought I saw you reply in there. My hair does that cobwebby thing when it gets really tangled. It's awful. I also get ginormous tangles at my roots. I had my most successful WnGs when I could set them and not worry about them tangling without manipulation. And when I did MHM, I used the original products and steps as posted by pinkecube https://maxhydrationmethod.com/the-max-hydration-method-detailed-regimen/
My hair was in PERFECT coils with not a tangle in sight. Every curl was clumped into hundreds of little coils.
Idk if you would have similarly fantastic results, but I've read that skipping steps and using alternatives has an impact on the final look. I noticed that using clay as my starting point yielded great WnGs, even if I didn't do everything else.
My hair is normal porosity, so that may also explain some differences in results.

Hi, @kxlot79

Thanks for asking.

I was using alternative products. A line designed for the MHM. It wasn't very good, though, I'll admit.
My hair is naturally highly porous.

If you think it's possible to NOT have tangles with MHM, then I'll try it with the originally-suggested MHM products. I cannot imagine this hair NOT tangling. Sounds impossible. :smile:

There's a recent detangling thread on here. I thought I saw you reply in there. My hair does that cobwebby thing when it gets really tangled. It's awful. I also get ginormous tangles at my roots. I had my most successful WnGs when I could set them and not worry about them tangling without manipulation. And when I did MHM, I used the original products and steps as posted by pinkecube https://maxhydrationmethod.com/the-max-hydration-method-detailed-regimen/
My hair was in PERFECT coils with not a tangle in sight. Every curl was clumped into hundreds of little coils.
Idk if you would have similarly fantastic results, but I've read that skipping steps and using alternatives has an impact on the final look. I noticed that using clay as my starting point yielded great WnGs, even if I didn't do everything else.
My hair is normal porosity, so that may also explain some differences in results.

@kxlot79, thank you so much. I really appreciate your post.

Once I stopped having the problem of dry hair, I stopped doing the MHM religiously. I also stopped because I did it with a line specifically designed for the MHM, and that line had great reviews but turned out to be pretty bad (not just my opinion).

Your post inspires me to revisit the MHM and try it with the original products, faithfully. If my hair can stop webbing and knotting so constantly and severely, then I will not have to keep my relaxer appointment in December. I finally figured out how to moisturize my natural hair, and just this week I figured out how to style it so that I absolutely love it: It's kind of sad that after 3 years of investment and finally mastering to major hurdles, I feel I have no other option but to relax it if I want to reach mid-back length and beyond.

It's worth it to fully try the MHM if it can save me from relaxing. I never really thought about it for helping with tangles, and once my hydration problem was solved, I looked at that horrible line of MHM-specific products and decided to just move on but keep my new practice of clay washing.

I'm going to do a full de-webbing and detangling session either THIS Sunday or next and do the full MHM method with the recommended products. If it works, just wow. If it doesn't, more peace of mind about the decision to relax. Regardless, thank you very, very much for taking the time to post.

Blessings, @kxlot79! :snuggle:

P.S. I'm DC-ing with KCKT right now after having clay washed. ;)

I meant to say products and technique give different results for me. The main differences with RnS over ADM is I get more definition(maybe 24-30% more), longer lasting (3-8 days longer with/without refreshing), fewer tangles (up to 40% fewer--- estimated by less detangling time during my next wash).
My hair is fine and dense, so ADM is much faster (up to 75% faster) in terms of applying product and styling; ADM can take a lot more product, but it depends on the products. Good quality products (I like the Quench line) require less but cheaper products tend to require a lot more, for instance if I use V05, I will need to use half to 75% of the bottle for one WnG (versus maybe 1/4 cup for Quench). Also, my experience has been the more product I have to use, regardless of quality, the longer my hair takes to dry.
I'm not a fan of blow/hood drying any style that isn't stretched. My curly hair tends to get crispy with even low external heat, no matter the products I use.

I tried to attach a few examples of my first day hair using different products and techniques

Thanks for sharing. NICE HAIR! :yep:

What Quench love line? Dove? Proganix?

TIA!

Last edited:
Quench is the name of the Hair Rules conditioner. Hair Rules is Anthony Dickey's line of products. I honestly think they work best with his method but those products are so dang expensive!!! :cry3:

http://hairrules.com/products/quench-conditioner

Also thanks for the compliment!

Thanks. YW!

Wow, at those prices. Which products of his have you tried? Which do you recommend besides the Quench conditioner? Thanks in advance. I won't be able to try them (the cost, and my hair is too finicky to take the risk), but it's good to know for future reference.

Back