TO BRAID OR NOT TO BRAID? (long)

chellee

That is the million-dollar question. Do most people use braids to get them over the hump? I am currently at and in-between phase with my hair. My hair is layered, the longest length is between 7-8 in. and the shortest length (my bangs) is approx. 4 in. It is MUCH healthier since joining the LHCF and thicker due to less chemical services per year and a no-heat regime, however, however, I would like it to be a little longer to enjoy the look of a fuller braid-out in the summer.

The issue: I want shoulder-length hair by summer/June *dreaming*.

This may not be possible but I definitely want to maximize my growth/retainage between now and then. I am currently rocking two French braids (Sarafina style) redone twice per week following my wash sessions. This is a great protective style.

The problem: I look like my eight-year-old daughter.

I am considering getting braids, at least two separate sets until summer, hoping they will help to accomplish my goal. I also want to stretch out my relaxer until then. (Last relaxer 02/20/05.)

The concern: I have witnessed the removal of braids and the results are intimidating. Shedding like no other. I understand that most of this is normal but I am still not convinced. I have worked so hard over the past eight months to get my hair healthy/thicker and I would HATE to have a setback. Don’t want thinner temples, weak hair or chewed up ends. Been there, done that. Not going back!

The reason: I have used summer as my mark because this will be the first summer that I will attempt to wear MY HAIR out. I have spent YEARS in weaves. Wouldn't open the door to greet the mailman without one. I have since learned to love and take care of my hair ("since" meaning less than a year ago). In the months of getting acquainted and catching up on some growth, I haven't attended any social functions. I have SERIOUSLY been on the low. I was a little bit intimidated to see all those assumed I didn’t have any hair under my weaves. I have always had at least 5-6 inches of it but they were five unhealthy inches. When I began my journey, most of that was chopped off, leaving me to look like the bald-headed lady everyone thought I was anyway *sigh*. Summertime will be my hair's debut to the rest of the world (aside from the people at my job who see me everyday).

For the ladies that HAVE used braids, do you have any suggestions/words of encouragement? Looking back, do you wish you had done otherwise? Any advice for techniques that worked better?

Thanks in advance for listening . . .

I used braids to assist with my hair growth. I have just recently found a regimen that works for me when out of braids. Yes, my hair style resembles that of an 8 year old, but hey, my hair is the longest it has ever been AND I can still pass for 18 so I ain't complaining :) . If you do decide to braid, just make sure that you have braids no smaller than a pencil (personally, mine are no smaller than a permanent marker). Micros cause breakage; for me anyway. Make sure you keep them moisturized daily and tie them up at night. Those a just a few tips, you can go to DSD's newbie spot to find out more on how to take care of braids.

HHG
AATH

if u are going to get braids, dont get them too small or tight. this will cause damage instead of growth. imo braids are nice because your hair is protected from heat and you keep your hands out of it, and it grows to its potential.

Back