To BKT or Not

blissy

Hi Family,
I am an avid lurker and a rare poster. With the advice and support of this board, I transitioned to natural, applied Just for Me perm as a texturizer, mixed Miss Jessie imitator, learned about braid and twist outs, tried and succeeded in blow drying with a brush and flat iron with comb chaser, became a PJ, and now BKT!

Yep I did it. I saw the results of my fellow LCHF girls, trusted and applied Rejuenvol "as directed." My results are... well...good if you like swinging shiny straight hair. I applied it twice in a week leaving it on my hair for three days the first time and it is currently on my hair now ... day 1/cycle 2. I cannot wait to see if I achieved my hair goal with BKT - loosen my kink not straight hair. With the current vibe on the board regarding the product, I guess I will be crucified.

My comment on the BKT is just like any other chemical applied to the hair, there are risks.

People have mentioned the smell of the formaldehyde with the gloves and the mask setting (btw I applied it in a tiny bathroom with out a fan nor mask nor breeze thru a window with a few instances of tearing eyes). But what about the behaviors to receive a relaxer? No scratching, basing the scalp, chemical burns, gloves... and the perm smell.

Isn't it the same?

People have mentioned the smell of the formaldehyde with the gloves and the mask setting (btw I applied it in a tiny bathroom with out a fan nor mask nor breeze thru a window with a few instances of tearing eyes).

The bold is really not a safe thing to do. Doesn't it say pretty much everywhere that it should be applied in a well ventilated area? I hope you don't get sick from breathing in the chemicals full strength.

No comment on anything else.

Msa has beat me to the punch on two posts today! You definitely need ventilation. You could develop respiratory problems.

Perm smells never bothered me, but as a former hospital worker formaldehyde just wreaks.:nono: Both have their risks, however. If BKT works for you, it works for you. I would be very intersted in BKT if it were not for that one ingredient.:rolleyes:

Congratulations on taking the plunge into the BKT world!! I hope that you achieve the results that you're looking for...

Just be careful with any techniques that involves your lungs and health.

Do you have any pictures?

First, I'm gonna come off snotty, but I have to say it. I am shocked that you would apply something to your hair and scalp without knowing EVERYTHING about it. There, I said it. Even though you've already done it once, please, please read everything you can get your hands on about BKT and it's history and the side effects and the benefits and look at all the pictures and tutorials that you can. :)

With that said, the next time you do BKT, please do it as instructed. Don't play with your health like that. You have to apply it in a ventilated area. Fans, open windows, masks if someone else is doing it, etc. That's not an option.

I cosign w/ msa btw and I like the idea of what BKT can do but you should use precautions. If you don't have a place with an open window you should use a fume extractor. Ideally proper ventilation plus fume extractor (that's what I'd do if I use it, because I'm just extra precautious). You can find fume extractors on ebay for just about fifty dollars and over.

Back