To All those Transitioning/Transitioned -long

GodMadeMePretty

This is my first post and it's rather long so please forgive me. I just want to let you guys know where I am on my hair quest. I initially got on the internet looking for something to help me with my daughter's hair. She's 4 years old and natural almost waist-length hair when it's stretched out. I don't know what her hair type is. (I haven't read Andres' book.) I'm guessing it's 3c/4a based on the descriptions on the internet that I've seen. It's really soft though. Well, in that process, I found growafrohairlong.com and found out that I was washing both her hair and my hair wrong (washing hair forward) causing all those horrible tangles. (I shared that technique with a friend and she walked all around her house for hours saying my name after washing her daughter's permed hair and having it tangle-free for the first time). After I used the detangling with the hands technique one time I was hooked. I started doing lots of research. I ran across Cathy Howse website, ordered the book, the Dew (which is so-so) and the new cream moisturizer (which is the bomb for my daughter's hair and my new growth), ordered Lisa Akbari's book, bought another book that I can't recall the name of, perused Carolyn Gray's website and found a number of forums, including this one.

I didn't know that the reason that my hair grew when I stopped going to the salons was primarily because I have always been a wash and go type. I always used the ponytail method simply because I was lazy. I always waited at least 8 weeks between touch-ups because that's what my mother taught me so many years ago. And my hair was always in a clip. When I wore it down, people commented that they didn't know that my hair was that long which I don't consider long at all.

I've been in this area for some time now and have yet to find a stylist that I trust. I did my first perm in 2000. It turned out pretty good so I kept doing them. But now I'm tired of doing my own hair. I got a friend to do my last perm in mid-July. Saturday, 11/1 was 16 weeks. I'm finally getting to know my hair texture and I'm beginning to wonder why I ever relaxed my hair. I've come to the conclusion after reading about relaxers on numerous websites that my daughter who is only 4 will not get a perm as long as she is dependent on me for support. But I'm beginning to think that I may be a little hypocritical if I'm not also natural. I can rollerset her hair and give her beautiful curls. I can blow dry it straighter if I want to, but I've only done that twice. She's generally wash and go with twists and/or plaits. What do you guys think? I want to go natural, but sometimes I think that I should just not get relaxers so often maybe twice a year where there's enough new growth for the stylist to not overlap. I mean they put the same amount of relaxer on the hair whether there's 1 inch of 3 inches. I'm managing my new growth pretty well. I do braid-outs mainly and have never been a huge fan of the comb. When I say I was wash and wear I really mean that. I would put a scarf on my head at night to tame the edges and keep them flat and in the morning, I would take the scrunchie off and put a clip on it in less than 5 seconds. Every day until my next wash which I must admit was sometimes a couple or three weeks. I know better now and the reason my new growth is so manageable is because I get it wet every other day. Other than that, a comb does not touch my hair.

What do you guys think? Will I be hypocritical? I sure feel like I would be. And any help with helping to keep my daughter's hair detangled are greatly appreciated. I just read the Henna thread the other day and went to my stash and found this Herbal Tame that I bought from Gold Medal. It had henna and other stuff in it which I used and it did pretty good with relaxing her curl. I want to try some of the other stuff on the henna thread like the lotus powder and/or the hennalescence.

Sorry for the long post.
F

I don't think it's hypocritical for you to be permed and your daughter to be natural. However, if you want to be natural I definitely say go for it! I don't have much advice but I do want to say that I LOVE your name.

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:

What do you guys think? Will I be hypocritical? I sure feel like I would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome!
wave.gif

As to your question, only you can answer that. Standing on the outside, I say no, but I believe you should follow what your heart tells you to do.
smile.gif

I don't think its hypocritical at all. My mother was relaxed and I was not allowed to get a relaxer at all. I got my first one at 18 thinking I was grown and not even two years later I was natural again. What ever you do will be your choice and no one has a right to judge

Back