To all the rollersetting newbies

gymfreak336

I noticed alot of newbies on board and one of the many LHCF Rites of Passage is learning how to set your hair whether by rollers or rods. I personally struggled to learn how to rollerset my hair and it took years before I felt confident. I decided to share a couple of tips that can hopefully make the experience less scary for those trying to learn how.

Tip #1- Browse albums here and search for rollersetting tutorials. Print out the instructions and pictures and tape them to your mirror. Read the instructions and make sure you understand each step before you give it a go. Pictures will help you understand rollerplacement

Tip #2 Start off using the snap covered rollers. Yes they can leave indentations in your hair but they make it alot easier as you learn. One of the hardest part of learning how to set is learning where to put the rollers. Using the snap covered rollers lets you concentrate on learning how to place the rollers instead of focusing on clips.

Tip #3- This piggy backs off of tip 2. The snap covered rollers act like training wheels. Use the snap covered ones as you get better with placement and then tension and as you progress stop putting on the snap covers and try clips with a couple of rollers. When I was learning I stopped using the covers on my middle (mohawk) section because it was the easiest section to do. As I mastered that section with the clips, I started on the sides.

Tip #4- As you gradually start introducting clips, experiment with clip placement. As you will find, where you put the clip determines the degree of the tension on your hair. I got better results as I learned to angle my clips, especially on my middle section.

Tip #5- Clip as you section and part. If you clip your hair into each different section as you go, you will have a neater set and it will make it easier to keep your hair as symmetrical as possible. You also get less snags and tangles this way. As I section my hair, I add a dab of leave-in cream and spray with water and clip in a light twist.

Tip #6- When you do a good job and really like how your hair turned out, jot down on a sticky note what rollers you used where. For example: I used 5 purple in the middle, teal in the back sides and red on the front sides. It can be easy to forget what you used where sometimes and I still do this when I do a really good job. I actually did this that week. I was still struggling to figure out how to roll my hair to get a curly yet flowy set and when I figured it out eariler this week, I wrote it down and threw the note in my roller box.

Okay, I rambled enough. I hope these tips help some one. Have a good day ladies.

Thanks Gurlie!!!!:)

This is realluy helpful. I struggle with clip placement BIG TIME! I bought flexi rods today because its easier for me, but I really want to master the magnetic rods.

Choklatekiss79 said:
Thanks Gurlie!!!!:)

This is realluy helpful. I struggle with clip placement BIG TIME! I bought flexi rods today because its easier for me, but I really want to master the magnetic rods.

Just take your time and you will eventually get it. At first I could only successfully use the clips on my crown area and slowly I started doing it on others until I could use them all over.

Back