To all the 4a/4b naturals

pbuckley

I need help with Products for my 6 year old. I am currently using Lekair Cholestrol, Biolage as a leave in, All kinds of different shampoos. I have a k-cutter that I comb her hair with. And I usually have to endup styling everyday for school. I need help with simplified regimen and products that will work on this hair type. I must also mention that she wore a relaxer for a a while and we are transitioning. She has maybe four inches to go. Which I really want to just chop off (why she had a perm family member and a long story). Any suggestions will help!

You'll probably get a ton of product recommendations, but I like Sta Sof Fro that comes in a tube. It makes my hair feel soft, and it doesn't need to be applied every single day. How do you style her hair?

I can't say enough good things about Creme of Nature nourishing conditioner. (The one in the white bottle with the purple writing).

This conditioner aids in detangling my hair and making it seem healthier than ANY conditioner I have ever tried!!!
I swear I think my wave pattern has even gotten more noticable, and my hair is definitely quite manageable.

Maybe you could try washing/conditioning her hair and putting it in box braids (using her own natural hair). If you have her wear a silk scarf at night, her braids should stay looking neat for a good amount of days. And when you take them down, her hair should still be pretty easy to comb.

I'm sure you will get more suggestions.

Hmmm, I saw creme of nature conditioner the other day, didn't know they made it. May have to give it a shot...

I just seen Nay's hair and she said hers is 4a , and i thought that was my hair type but hers is way softer than mine. Maybe i'm in a class by myself b/c my hair tends to be a lot nappier

Thank you ladys for the suggestions:
Ipanema I usually style her hair in several plates I use rubber bands (I use a pair of hair scissors to cut them out at the end of the day so I don't pull any hair out) and I just twist her hair and put a barrate on the end. I usually have to undo the rubberbands after every two days and recomb her hair, and when I do that I use water and whatever kind of grease or mosturizer I have at the time. I don't have any set products that I use. Any tips on styling and what hair dressings to use on a regular basis?

I like Sta Sof Fro.. (the spray and the stuff in the tube) Creme of Nature Shampoo (Green and white bottle) is a good shampoo for natural hair although some have complained of it causing build up

it has never caused build up for me though.
I also like Pantene Hydrating Curls conditioner, it makes detangling VERY easy. HTH

I second and third the creme of nature and the sta-so fro...these two pordutcs are great for 4a/b hair type...

i use the CON once a week for my shampoo..and the sta-so-fro to moisturize my hair every 2 days

as for the pantene i like the daily moisture renewal... moisture is the key to maintenace for my 4a/b hair

I'd second the recommendations Nay gave you. You should try box braids or 2-strand twists, or even cornrows, any hairstyle that will last all week without the need to restyle every day. Since she is transitioning, it is even more important to minimize manipulation.

[ QUOTE ]
jaelje said:
I just seen Nay's hair and she said hers is 4a , and i thought that was my hair type but hers is way softer than mine. Maybe i'm in a class by myself b/c my hair tends to be a lot nappier

[/ QUOTE ]

Jaelje, this whole "hair typing" thing is pretty confusing. I always just go with 4a because I definitley haven't seen a picture of a 3 whose hair (I think) looks like mine does.

I think African-American hair just can't be easily categorized. There's too many different textures going on!!

All I know is that my hair feels soft and wooly to the touch, and I like it a lot more now than I did growing up
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
I'd second the recommendations Nay gave you. You should try box braids or 2-strand twists, or even cornrows, any hairstyle that will last all week without the need to restyle every day. Since she is transitioning, it is even more important to minimize manipulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA with this. Also, I used to do my niece's hair in connected braids from the front to the back. It's hard to describe, but it's like a cross between box braids & cornrows where the end of one braid joins in with the braid next to it. These didn't require any rubber bands & the style lasted for several days.

Thanks Ladys I will definetly try the box style this weekend, I usually wash her hair once a week. Any suggestions of products that I can try?

I use the Loreal Nature's Therapy shampoo for my daughter and I deep condition her hair with a mixture of Tea Tree Oil cholesterol, olive oil, and coconut oil. Then I tried the cholesterol mixed with honey. That was by far the best deep conditioning treatment that I have used on her.

When I don't deep condition, I use Pantene's Hydrating Curls conditioner or Dove intensive moisturizing conditioner. Both are excellent.

For every day moisturizing, I use Lustrasilk's Moisture Max. It has mineral oil in it, but it really does a wonderful job. I usually spritz her hair on a daily basis with a mixture of water and Organic Root Simulator's Nature's Shine which is a mixture of light oils.

Her daily style alternates between afro puffs which she loves because all I do is finger pick it with my hands full of moisturizer. NO COMBING THE FRO WHEN DRY.

I really like UBH creme moisturizer, but it is expensive and I probably won't order any more since I found the Lustrasilk again. I'm in the middle of transitioning and I just recently picked up the BB hair lotion with castor oil. It is wonderful.

I also say Sta Sof Fro, but I had to stop using the spray on my daughter because I couldn't stand the smell. Can anyone tell me whether the SSF in the tube smells the same as the spray? That is a great detangler.

I've done the box braids on half of my daughter's hair. I was too lazy to do the top half so I just put it in one big ponytail poof and then put the poof into 8-10 twists. Each day, I would moisturize the braids and the twists. If you click on the hair photo link in my signature, you can see the style. But I wouldn't recommend the small braids that I did. That was a nightmare to take out.

Right now, her hair is in cornrows that meet in the middle of her head so that I can just put a ponytail holder on it with 3 braids hanging down to give her the idea that her hair is partially down.

GMMP, that style is adorable on your little girl! Don't mean to sound redundant, but she is absolutely beautiful!

Back