To all naturals.....

Anancy

My sister needs your help.

She is desperately trying to find what products will make her hair soft and manageable.
She's lost as to where to start so whatever advice you can give will be much appreciated.

She usually has her hair in cornrows all week and takes them out once a week to wash her hair. She's using Redken All Soft Shampoo and the Redken Extreme Conditioner which she likes. The redken Anti-snap she doesn't like.

1. What do you use to prevent breakage?
2. What do you use to prevent split ends?
3. What ways can she moisterise her hair while its in cornrows?
4. What do you use to wash and condition your hair?
5. What do you use to deep condition?

Whatever you think is the best product and/or regime for natural hair is, she'd love to know.
Thanks alot.

To prevent breakage implement proper hair combing and washing techniques (i.e. wide-tooth comb, start from ends up, don't pile hair on top of the head, etc.)

To prevent split ends moisturize regularly.

Maybe she could use a light oil on the ends of her braids, like olive oil.

There is no best product for natural hair. It all depends on the individual.

Good products include:

Shampoo: Nexxus Therappe, Elucence Moisture Benefits, Kenra Moisturizing, Neutrogena Triple Moisture

Conditioner: the matching conditioners to the shampoos listed above, plus Aubrey GPB, L'oreal Natures Therapy Mega Moisture

Leave-in/Moisture: Any oil of choice (Castor, olive, Almond, etc..), i've read lots of raves about Giovanni Direct leave in

There's also a ton of info on nappturality

To prevent breakage use a K Cutter comb exclusively. Carefully pick thru the hair from the ends up.

To prevent split ends put extra conditioner on the ends before deep conditioning.

Wanakee Constant Care for Ends is fantastic.

Shampoo: Nexxus Therappe, Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, Nexxus Aloe Rid (clarifying)

Conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, ORS Hair Mayo

Leave-in/Moisture: Herbal Essences Replenishing Conditioner for dry, damaged hair

Most important--braid it then leave it alone! Either wear the braids or a braidout. I see this with all the long-haired naturals.

When I wore braids I sprayed by hair with infusuim. Before I took out the braids I did a deep conditioning with the braids in my hair. I would take out the braids and then wash use a light protein treatment wash deep condition again. This worked well when I was transitioning.

1. What do you use to prevent breakage?
2. What do you use to prevent split ends?
3. What ways can she moisterise her hair while its in cornrows?
4. What do you use to wash and condition your hair?
5. What do you use to deep condition?

-----------------------------------------------------------

1) I keep my hair up in a bun, detangle only when loaded with conditioner

2) Again, keep my hair up in a bun

3) She can water mist it, do a conditioner wash (I've done it before with cornrows with my own hair), she can use a spout nose bottle to get moisturizer "inside" of the braid...

4) Poo with Garnier Fructis 2 & 1 (it's basically a conditioner with detergent).
I ocndition with Elucence MBC

5) I don't have a "deep conditioner".... I have a million & 1 regular conditioners (mostly cheapie ones). To deep condition, I'll *warm* the conditioner in the microwave before applying. My fav cheapies are Tresemme Anti breakage, LustraSilk Aloe, DDTA, Suave Balsam... my fav pricey conditioner is Elucence.

Back