Tips on taking care of a Child's natural roots

Country gal

Tips on taking care of a Child\'s natural roots

My little eight year old cousin has very thick natural hair. Her mother is considering a child relaxer. My cousin says her daughter's hair is so nappy and takes forever to do. I told her stop talking negatively about my little cousin's hair. Could you recommend any products for a little girl's hair. I wasn't sure if you could use the same natural hair care products on adults as you do for children.

Re: Tips on taking care of a Child\'s natural roots

Nooooo! No relaxer!
naughty.gif

I would suggest washing the girl's hair with Creme of Nature detangling shampoo 1x and then putting some more in and gently detangling it under running water. It detangles the hair very well.

Also I would suggest using WGO as both a moisturizer and detangler.

The more moisture the hair has, the more elasticity.

BB's Castor Oil Moisturizer in the pink and white bottle works wonderfully on my 5 y/o daughter's natural hair. Very good moisturizer. I also use Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo and Aussie Slip as a conditioner on her hair.

Also french braids are easy to learn and last a few days. I love practicing braiding on my daughters hair. I only had to have someone show me once how to do it and I kept practicing and eventually learned to do it well!

I'm also interested in this as I have no idea what my childs hair will be like (she's not born yet!
laugh.gif
) and I will not give her a relaxer. Can ya tell i'm already stressing???

If her hair is anything like mine I think I have somewhat of an idea. Detangling shampoos are one of em. Deep conditioners like Elucence or KeraCare would be another...I think as this works on my newgrowth. As far as oils I would consider trying different oil mixtures with coconut oil being the main ingredient.

Both Boadicea and JenJen gave grat product recs. That's exactly what I use for my daughter's hair. A great conditioner for natural hair is Pantene smooth and Sleek.
smile.gif
Your sister may also consider doing neutral henna treatments to help manage tangles and loosen the curl slightly. Check out the thread on henna. I've applied 3 treatments to my daughter's hair so far and she and I are both reaping the benfits. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

coconut oil, applied to wet hair, straightens it out slightly. This will make it easier to comb out and braid up.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
UmSumayyah said:
coconut oil, applied to wet hair, straightens it out slightly. This will make it easier to comb out and braid up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what my grandma use to use on my hair when I was little. She was the only one who could comb my 4a/b hair. When she passed, my mother wouldn't take the time and started slapping relaxers in my head carelessly and I have been paying for it ever since.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I always get good advice from the board.

Back