Tips on 100% Glycerin Usage

Dauntless

I was in Happy Harry's yesterday and came across 100% Glycerin by a brand called AfriKare... and I see glycerin mentioned alot on this board and I wondered if anyone could share their tips, recipies and uses for glycerin...Thanks :)

There is a Hair Recipe section in the main forum. I"m sure there are some receipes in there for glycerin for ya!

One tip is to not use it by itself. Using glycerin alone on your dry hair will actually dry your hair out and dehydrate it. (I saw this on the internet, but cannot find the source right now) It needs to be mixed with another product or with water to work effectively.

One tip is to not use it by itself. Using glycerin alone on your dry hair will actually dry your hair out and dehydrate it. (I saw this on the internet, but cannot find the source right now) It needs to be mixed with another product or with water to work effectively.

Wow I didn't know this...See I would of bought it came home and slathered on my hair..:wallbash:..Lucky I asked first like a good lil' newbie:look:

I think I have that same brand...I mixed it with rose water and distilled water and have been using it for the last month and my hair has become really soft and moisturized.

I own the same brand as well. I've used it solo on wet, co-washed hair, and haven't experience dryness in the least. In fact, my hair has never been softer or more defined. If I don't apply it alone, I simply mix it with conditioner.

That explains a lot.. maybe I dig it out from under my bathroom cupboard and try it again.. but mixed with something else :look:

I use it on my braidouts. It's great! My hair is shiny and has body and moment the next morning. I use:
V05 Moisture Milks Strawberry as Leave-In
Glycerin
Seal with Castor Oil

Simple...

Glycerin aside what is your skin care regimen? Your skin is gorgeous!

I was in Happy Harry's yesterday and came across 100% Glycerin by a brand called AfriKare... and I see glycerin mentioned alot on this board and I wondered if anyone could share their tips, recipies and uses for glycerin...Thanks :)

Dauntless~ I have nothing to add as far as Glycerin is concerned. I just had to say - my goodness you and your hair are BEAUTIFUL :look:. Welcome to the board~

Back to reading, I want to know about Glycerin to :look:.

I use a clear spray bottle and fill it half way with glycerin, half with water and add a few drops of tea tree oil (for scalp stimulation and cleanliness). I think I might make a mixture with rosewater too, it prpbably smells divine.

Wow I didn't know this...See I would of bought it came home and slathered on my hair..:wallbash:..Lucky I asked first like a good lil' newbie:look:

That explains a lot.. maybe I dig it out from under my bathroom cupboard and try it again.. but mixed with something else :look:

When I first purchased my vegetable glycerin I was about to add it to my dry hair and did a search and found that it wasn't supposed to be used that way. I am glad I did or I would have been wondering why ladies thought it was a great product. :grin: A little on wet hair is great. I have found that adding a little glycerin (like 10%) to any mix helps my hair stay moisturized better.

For the best,longest lasting moisture(for me anywayz)....:spinning:

1/3 of each...Glycerin,care free curl activator,and distilled water.

I beg to differ... I use it alone on wet- damp co-washed hair and it works miracles for me. I've actually stopped using leave ins and just use glycerin.

Yep... I saw that.

Last edited:
a staple--miracle in a bottle

i use it once a week with my infusium leave-in--mix it with it and bingo-bango--moisture for the entire week...my hair is really thick and soaks it up and im good to go...:yep:

When using Glycerin does it matter if you are relaxed or natural??

It doesn't matter if the hair is natural or relaxed, it can be used on all hair types and processes. The only thing I'd do differently if I had relaxed hair is go easier on quantity. I'd use a very small bit on my hair and would be less generous w/ it in however I choose to mix it up. It works by attracting moisture from the air, so you don't want TOO much moisture wrecking your relaxer. Naturals have a bit more cushion here, but the relaxed can use it too....just use a lighter hand.

It doesn't matter if the hair is natural or relaxed, it can be used on all hair types and processes. The only thing I'd do differently if I had relaxed hair is go easier on quantity. I'd use a very small bit on my hair and would be less generous w/ it in however I choose to mix it up. It works by attracting moisture from the air, so you don't want TOO much moisture wrecking your relaxer. Naturals have a bit more cushion here, but the relaxed can use it too....just use a lighter hand.

Thank you~ I wasn't sure whether the Thanks button was enough or if I should type it :look:.

Hi ladies! I just wanted to revive this thread to sing the praises of vegetable glycerin!!

I know a lot of us use it as a spritz, but has anyone ever DC'd with it? I have and it's FANTASTIC!!!

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I just wanted to mention it again! :grin:

I DC'd my hair last night using... some deep conditioner, I can't remember which one right now (PJ-ism ain't no joke! :look:) and, like I've done one other time with a cheapie conditioner, I layered a nice slathering of glycerin over it. I then covered my head with a plastic grocery bag, tying it off so that it was nice and snug. (got that idea from this very forum :grin:)

I let it sit for a little over two hours with no no heat, I just covered the plastic bag with one of my sleeping scarves.

When I rinsed the conditioner out, my hair was... :drool::drool::drool: It was so buttery soft, I just kept running my hands through it! It was fantastic!

I will definitely be purchasing more vegetable glycerin and using it in my bi-weekly DC's! :yep:

Hi ladies! I just wanted to revive this thread to sing the praises of vegetable glycerin!!

I know a lot of us use it as a spritz, but has anyone ever DC'd with it? I have and it's FANTASTIC!!!

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I just wanted to mention it again! :grin:

I DC'd my hair last night using... some deep conditioner, I can't remember which one right now (PJ-ism ain't no joke! :look:) and, like I've done one other time with a cheapie conditioner, I layered a nice slathering of glycerin over it. I then covered my head with a plastic grocery bag, tying it off so that it was nice and snug. (got that idea from this very forum :grin:)

I let it sit for a little over two hours with no no heat, I just covered the plastic bag with one of my sleeping scarves.

When I rinsed the conditioner out, my hair was... :drool::drool::drool: It was so buttery soft, I just kept running my hands through it! It was fantastic!

I will definitely be purchasing more vegetable glycerin and using it in my bi-weekly DC's! :yep:

sounds like a great idea! my hair luvs glycerine too! so did u dilute the glycerine with water before slathering or just pure glycerine? Its sooo sticky, i have never poured it into anything other than a spray bottle.

This is a great thread, thanks for reviving it!!!

I have some veg. glycerin I have yet to use...now I need to dust it off :)

sounds like a great idea! my hair luvs glycerine too! so did u dilute the glycerine with water before slathering or just pure glycerine? Its sooo sticky, i have never poured it into anything other than a spray bottle.

I started by saturating my hair with a generous amount of conditioner. I'm pretty heavy handed with product, especially conditioner, and especially when I'm DC'ing! Once my hair was fully covered in conditioner, I poured approximately a half dollar sized amount of undiluted vegetable glycerin into my hands, rubbed them together and then put spread it over my hair. I followed up with a second half dollar sized amount to finish the job, massaged it into my hair and then put on the plastic bag.

The funny thing about rubbing the vegetable glycerin in my hands and even once I massaged it into my hair, was that the glycerin felt really warm! I think this is a nice side affect as its warming properties probably help with the conditioning process. :yep:

Yeah it was thick and kinda sticky, but it washes off easily enough. ;)

Last edited:
Back