*TIPs* Must Do List for your hair Pre BKT

ppp422

Ok, so after living on the the BKT threads I am ready to take the plunge. I have read so much info, but really want a "Must Do List" before getting it done. I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly. :yep: What are the most important things to do to your hair before getting the BKT???

I will be going to a salon where the stylist will be using the Global Keratin (4% I think). My hair is natural and the texture is 4a/b. I believe my hair is really healthy and the stylist agreed at the consultation. I am planning on doing a protein treatment and DC before I go to the salon. What else would you ladies recommend???? :look:

I plan on getting it done on Sunday.

i have no ideao, sorry to hijack but could you PLEASE PLEASE post pre bkt natural hair pix and after pictures of your hair after the first wash if it's not too much trouble? Id really appreciate it

Last edited:
I began preparing for my initial BKT at least a month before the treatment. I co-washed daily and DC'd 3X/wk. Don't know if that was excessive or not, but I didn't experience any adverse affects from the treatment. I have read that protein-sensitive hair can have bad reactions to BKT - so that's something to consider, too.

I don't use it on my natural hair because it made it BONE straight after the initial treatment - I'm almost 15 months post. It was a formaldehyde-free formula - 0% and it still took a few months to revert.

Please be aware that the 4% formula is very strong and it may totally remove your texture. It's a chance I'm not willing to take with my natural hair.

Good luck with your treatment!

I began preparing for my initial BKT at least a month before the treatment. I co-washed daily and DC'd 3X/wk. Don't know if that was excessive or not, but I didn't experience any adverse affects from the treatment. I have read that protein-sensitive hair can have bad reactions to BKT - so that's something to consider, too.

I don't use it on my natural hair because it made it BONE straight after the initial treatment - I'm almost 15 months post. It was a formaldehyde-free formula - 0% and it still took a few months to revert.

Please be aware that the 4% formula is very strong and it may totally remove your texture. It's a chance I'm not willing to take with my natural hair.

Good luck with your treatment!

Thanks so much! I think I will ask if she has the 2% at her salon too, I would prefer to be on the safe side.

Honestly, all I have done is DC before hand. I did a moisturizing DC with heat and did a ceremides/protein DC all night (because I didn't wanna stay under the dryer.) I don't remember where I read this, but someone said they believe BKT preserves your hair in the state that it is in, so making sure it is nice and moist is a good idea.

for me i MUST DC overnight at least once the week before my BKT (I've been trying to do it once a week.) the DC just before the BKT i try to do a more balanced dc, OR a short protein dc and then a moisture dc overnight.

I just got mine done for the second time a few weeks ago. Here are my tips.

1- Put any color in your hair before the treatment. The KT will seal in the color so it looks more vibrant and lasts longer
2- Deep condition your hair because the treatment involves alot of direct heat with the blowdrying and flat ironing so you want your hair to be able to withstand that as best as possible
3- Don't trim beforehand. You will see all your split ends very clearly when its done so you can dust it very easily if you have the patience for it.
4- Check the weather to make sure it isn't going to rain for 3 days because your hair can't get wet.
5- Be prepared to not exercise or do any heavy sweating because again your hair can't get wet and you can't put it in a pony tail holder.

I can't think of anything else. I just did a DC 2x the week before I did it and I was fine. I'm sure it will come out beautiful =)

check out this fotki

public.fotki.com/kemi21

I'm not sure but i think she has a pre-bkt regimen.

Back